How is this even possible!?

You could bump the fighter share of Rev to 35-45% and guys like him would probably still need to Hold down a second job. The roster is super saturated compared to the organization yearly revenue.

He could work in the office for a construction company for all we know. If it's a family business, it's more than just money.

You have to be an idiot banking on retireing as a MMA fighter. Sounds like a smart guy having a backup plan.
"You have to be an idiot banking on retirement as a professional soccer player"
"You have to be an idiot banking on retirement as a professional basketball player"
"You have to be an idiot banking on retirement as a professional baseball player"

If anyone made this statement about these other sports people would look at you like you're deranged. But you've been so cucked by the UFCs greed that you actually think this is a normal and acceptable statement.

Subtract taxes. Subtract fight camp expenses. Yes, the pay is crap. And considering he's maybe 3 years from "retirement" as an MMA fighter in his weight class it's not surprising.
You remembered to subtract, but didn't remember to add

"You have to be an idiot banking on retirement as a professional basketball player"
"You have to be an idiot banking on retirement as a professional baseball player"

If anyone made this statement about these other sports people would look at you like you're deranged. But you've been so cucked by the UFCs greed that you actually think this is a normal and acceptable statement.
Wow ur dumb

Man you are an idiot. I have made a pretty good living doing contruction.

Put on your hard hat and stfu bunch of babies in this Thread. Btw I work with live gas in the field. Not construction tho but I got all my vests and PPE in van. Bunch of emotional republicans good lord

I honestly can't believe this join date 2013 TS fool thinks mediocre fighters have a future in UFC/MMA.
What's a "join date"?

111036.png

Hehe I love reminding people they can't flex on me because I blocked all that useless garbage.

Probably a bit of both. Then again if you're a pro fighter I think you'd want an active job, if you sat on your arse for a living (like me) you'd have to do a lot more training outside of work I figure.
He is probably stronger than other people in his division especially if he does a lot of lifting and moving on the job

It's the fighters who are cucked, signing secret shady under the counter deals for minimum pay. There isn't shit the fans can do about it. It's on them to unionize. They even had a big lawsuit and they shit the bed by settling.

Families are expensive, especially if you treat them to the good things in life. So more money could be one reason? Maybe his wife is a stay at home, mom? Maybe he even has an excellent job, and great insurance/benefit plan doing construction? Planning for the future, etc? Maybe he’s an owner or partner in a company? People can’t fight forever, alright.

And just trusting whatever you read on Wiki is a bit crazy, man.

“A day job as a construction worker” is vague, as fuck.

He’s only had 9 UFC fights so far in almost 4 years. So, it’s not like he’s super active. 2 1/4 fights per year wouldn’t pay a massive amount of money at his level. And he only got his win money in 5/9 fights.

But I wouldn’t expect a guy like him to be making $100K/$100K. And he’s not exactly setting the UFC on fire. And all but his last fight were on FN cards. His last fight was on the prelims of 296. Maybe they were looking to give him a little more exposure? And then he lost his 296 fight.

But I don’t see what the problem is? Stipe has worked his entire career in the UFC. Lots of fighters have outside business opportunities/careers. Why are you assuming this is something bad? He’s NEVER going to be a UFC Champion.

The league minimum in the CFL is $70K. Half of the players are Americans. Pretty much only the star players of each team don’t have “jobs” in the off-season. But some are totally involved in investing, real estate, professional careers, etc.

The contacts the players make can help them a lot now, and in the future. The pay is super low compared to the NFL. But it really is apples, and oranges in every way.

But, $70K to play a game you love. And probably wouldn’t be getting paid to play unless you came to Canada for 6 months when it’s mostly summer/fall isn’t bad. And that $70K is the “minimum”.

Perspective. And the odd fascination with not understanding what some people will or won’t do to be in the UFC. But if you’re a journeyman level fighter. Everything about your contract, and card placement will reflect that.

The UFC needs people like this. It’s nothing new, so why are we forever seeing this rubbish? If all the whining for the past couple decades about fighter pay hasn’t changed anything. It’s probably never going to. Especially since not a single person I’ve seen in here in a couple decades has actually done a single thing to actually protest about fighter pay. It’s all just talk.

The fake outrage year, after year, is ridiculous. There is no real context whatsoever in the OP. I see speculation.

Inflation and the cost of rent is a bitch these days, and it hurts the wallet more than a kick to the nutsack when you're married with kids.

Nothing wrong with that at all, construction job is great and there is always plenty of work. Remember fight career only lasts 12-15 years if you are beyond lucky. Its such a short and small time. MMA is not a lifetime job, its a small window in the grand scheme of things.

Its also important to remember that construction work can make you very fit, especially if you are hands on and not one of the office people.

I noticed Cody Durden wiki and I was reading how when he is not training for a fight, he is working as a construction worker:

View attachment 1041827

I don't get it, how is this even possible!

He is a UFC fighter with a relatively decent record in modern times and he still has to work a day job and in construction which depletes your energy all day!

I thought fighters with his record at least make 60 to 100 k a year no?

Is the pay crap or is the cost of living that is out of hand?

EDIT:

I am not demeaning construction work in terms of a persons value. I am saying its tough on the human body and for a career MMA fighter, its best to have an occupation on the side that is easier on the nervous system since these guys injured like crazy since MMA is a tough grueling sport and so is construction.

No need to apologize. Outside of working for a massive construction company that has projects for days being a construction worker is shit work with absolutely no future if youre content being a regular guy. I live in a historical city that is 'famous' and small time construction make a max of 25 an hour with no insurance, no retirement, no pension, no stock, and if you get hurt your fired before you hit the ground.

You know that only the best of the best actually earn decent coin from these sports right? The difference is even the worst of the worst on a soccer team, are better than 99% of recreational players. On top of that in season you are playing every week, not competing 2-3x a year.

If fighters fought at least 4x a year(once every 3 months) on a 10/10 contract they earn 40k if they lose every fight, or 80k if they
If you are on 25/25 that's 100k or 200k depending on wins. Throw in a bonus and you can see how lower level guys can make a decent career out of it.

The top level guys get paid pretty well, the issue is we have a roster of regional guys getting paid nothing that bring down the average.
I think it should be more but services like the PI and medical treatment around fights change that up.

Only the best of the best get paid in sports like boxing etc. Nobody is getting paid big money either to fight on the undercard of a boxing PPV.

No need to apologize. Outside of working for a massive construction company that has projects for days being a construction worker is shit work with absolutely no future if youre content being a regular guy. I live in a historical city that is 'famous' and small time construction make a max of 25 an hour with no insurance, no retirement, no pension, no stock, and if you get hurt your fired before you hit the ground.

I live in Canada and its very cold and tough to be a construction worker. I have lot of respect for them but like you said, if you get hurt, you end up in a bad place due to lack of safety net. But @IDGETKTFO got emotional which actually is what I experienced when I worked construction in summer of 2008. I noticed the unskilled workers had a bad temper. The skilled ones were more chill and just did their thing.

When I was doing construction in 2008, I was training in boxing and judo and I had to stop judo because it was too much to handle. I was unable to recover properly. There was a UFC fighter Kevin Burns and he managed a Well Fargos branch and was selling oils. He mentioned the bank offered lots of support and job security. So no doubt, its great for MMA fighters to have a job.

How the hell do you know that Mr. 2023 join date? Everyone's arguing so I felt like joining in.
Shane Carwin used to work as an engineer and he helped design the structure of one of the multiple helicopter pads in one of my Florida mansions. I was also the co-owner of the 127 billion dollar engineering firm that employed him, but i sold most of my shares so I could purchase an NFL team and stadium

Back