Help me plan a cross-country road trip!

If you end up going north wyoming is scary beautiful. Flat but the clouds are 50 feet above your car. Also there's a booooooooomb strip club.

This is super exciting. As some of you may know, I'll be moving across the country, from Pennsylvania to Portland, OR early this summer. I'll be driving, and my plan is to take 2 -3 weeks to make the trip, camping, sightseeing, etc along the way. I'm in the process of purchasing a vehicle for the drive that I can sleep in as needed (leaning towards a full size pick up with a camper shell). I'll be traveling with my dog, who is starting to show his age (he's almost 12) but is still in good spirits and healthy enough to make the trip.

The only 3 stops I have on my list so far are possibly a stop in Kentucky to visit my cousin and her family, a stop in Colorado to visit my brother, and a stop at the grand canyon (which I've never been to).

So where would you stop if you were traveling across the country sherbros? I enjoy live music and dive bars, skateboarding, camping, hiking and art/design. Also just really enjoy meeting people in different walks of life.

Also, anyone with road trip experience feel free to chime in with general tips and suggestions. I've traveled enough myself to feel pretty confident about planning and dealing with unexpected situations on the fly, but there's always more to learn.

Lastly, if any of you guys wanna open up your couch to a fellow sherbro and his pup for a night let me know. It'd be cool to meet some of you folks along the way.

Pro-tip: go to a local AAA branch and have them help you map it out. Its what they do.

Don’t drive across the country. Nothing to see but poor people. They’re called flyover states for a reason.

From PA to OR, you can take I-80 all the way to Reno NV. Along the way, you hit Cleveland, Chicago, Omaha, SLC. Just make your overnights in those cities. There will always be hotel vacancies somewhere in those cities.

I was gonna say stay north and see Montana and the Dakota's. They are awesome states to drive through. But if you want to see the Grand Canyon I guess that's not gonna work

this would be my route, TS.
PA to KY to Chicago to SD (Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse) to Yellowstone to Reno to Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, Zion National Park, to Yosemite, to OR (scattering of strip bars in between).

this would be my route, TS.
PA to KY to Chicago to SD (Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse) to Yellowstone to Reno to Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, Zion National Park, to Yosemite, to OR (scattering of strip bars in between).
That would be a pretty epic road trip

And download Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast for something awesome to listen to.

Only problem is that Reno to AZ drive through Nevada. I have some it a few times and it is boring af.

I know that drive myself. He's from PA. He'll be in awe of the desolation :D

Only problem is that Reno to AZ drive through Nevada. I have some it a few times and it is boring af.

He could always do AZ first and then go to Vegas to LA, then up HW1.

He could always do AZ first and then go to Vegas to LA, then up HW1.
Yeah the 1 is the way to go. I drove to San Fran through central California and that was a cool drive too. Orange trees and oil pumps as far as the eye could see

Yeah the 1 is the way to go. I drove to San Fran through central California and that was a cool drive too. Orange trees and oil pumps as far as the eye could see

That sounds cool. I find the windmills outside palm springs fascinating.

Update to my recommendation TS:
Yellowstone to Zion National Park to Lake Powell to Grand Canyon to Antelope Canyon to Flagstaff for some beers and sleep. Then to Vegas to LA to Portland via HW1.

Only problem is... Yellowstone is SOOOO close to your final destination.

I live in Portland, OR

Don't move here.

I'm warning you.

We got enough white people here already.

I was gonna say stay north and see Montana and the Dakota's. They are awesome states to drive through. But if you want to see the Grand Canyon I guess that's not gonna work
The badlands and Custer state park. The drive through the needles to see Rushmore, which was nothing compared the the three forementioned parts, and glacier national park are among my favorite parts of my cross country trip.

The badlands and Custer state park. The drive through the needles to see Rushmore, which was nothing compared the the three forementioned parts, and glacier national park are among my favorite parts of my cross country trip.
Glacier is incredible. I've never seen stars like I did camping there.

Make sure you hit the mystery spot.

My God; looking at pics of Glacier now .... (never been)

From pa I'd go up to niagra and cross into canad. Head north and take the fairy between Lake Huron and Georgia bay and then come into Michigan. Check out mackinaw. You can head south from ther to Kentucky.

1024px-Big_Spring_Missouri_1-02Aug08.jpg

800px-Roubidoux_sandstone_bluff.JPG

Could drop down after Kentucky into the Ozarks...

Back