Higher quality cards or frequent cards? Which do you prefer?

I would not mind the frequency of cards if each were shorter. Instead of 13-14 fights, cap it at 8 fights.

Sporting events average three hours. No reason a MMA event should be 6-7 hours.
This is a good idea too

Like many of the previous posters, I like frequent cards of mid level quality with several stacked cards a year.

I would not mind the frequency of cards if each were shorter. Instead of 13-14 fights, cap it at 8 fights.

This is a solid point imo. Reducing the amount of fights on cards could enhance both the quality and frequency to some extent.

I actually really like that idea. And by extension, the cards would be more quality because they wouldn’t have to sign as many low quality talent to fill up cards.

I want MMA on every weekend. Less stacked but constant events I vastly prefer.

The cards look horrible on paper but then you get a couple good knockouts on the prelims. Too many fighters with 10+ losses though that don't have championship spirit.

You could just watch the last 8 fights?

I dont mind the shitty free cards every week

It's the shitty PPVs I can't stand

Agree with this.

I used to love the stacked cards because they really felt like special events.

Now they're passing off pigslop cards as PPV-worthy.

ESPN+ for sloppo cards and PPV for Pride Final Conflict 2005 cards.

Less wmma! That’ll solve all your problems!

I actually really like that idea. And by extension, the cards would be more quality because they wouldn’t have to sign as many low quality talent to fill up cards.

I became a fan before prelims were ever televised so every event (fight night , PPV, etc.) was just 2-3 hours long. While the UFC only had 20 events a year back then, I also watched every EliteXC, Strikeforce, Bellator event plus primitive streams of other stuff. In other words, the rough equivalent of 40 events a year. Yet it did not feel watered down or over-saturated.

But 6-7 hour cards? There is no form of entertainment that last that long. There are no 6 hour movies. Hell, the Superbowl is shorter than your shit level fight night card.

I don’t mind frequent low quality events. But the pay per views need to be worth it—like they used to be, at least.

I prefer quality if forced to choose.

I’m fairly busy these days, and while I enjoy MMA quite a bit I really don’t need it inserting itself into every single weekend for the sake of one half decent fight.

One of my favorite things to do on a weekend is wake up bright and early and dive into the big card from the night before. It’s usually no trick to avoid the results at the end of the night. On the other hand, when it’s Blaydes vs JDS, I’m not going to remember or bother to do that. And I’m definitely not going to build my Saturday night around it.

That being said, it doesn’t annoy me nearly as much as it would have ten years ago. I used to get together with friends for the big cards, and it was a great excuse to do so. These days I’m not sure any of the cards would be worth it.

Give me a card every other month just stacked. Reminds me of a better time..

Frequent cards.

The quality problem could be solved by the UFC making the sport more attractive (thus increasing the talent pool) by paying the fighters more.

Inb4 "wHy DoN't YoU dO dAnAs JoB tHeN?"

I don’t think it’s a great strategy for the UFC to randomly double the pay of their mid-tier fighters and then hope that: (1) great athletes who are currently deciding to do other things with their lives become aware of it; and (2) those great athletes pursue MMA professionally as a result; and (3) seven or eight years from now those athletes are ranked fighters in the UFC; and (4) the presence of those athletes translates into more exciting fights, higher ratings and more revenue.

That’s an awful lot of trickling down that you’d need to see happen before it came close to paying off.

Define quality. big names doesnt always mean big fights. Some trash cards with unknowns have been super exciting..

I don’t think it’s a great strategy for the UFC to randomly double the pay of their mid-tier fighters and then hope that: (1) great athletes who are currently deciding to do other things with their lives become aware of it; and (2) those great athletes pursue MMA professionally as a result; and (3) seven or eight years from now those athletes are ranked fighters in the UFC; and (4) the presence of those athletes translates into more exciting fights, higher ratings and more revenue.

That’s an awful lot of trickling down that you’d need to see happen before it came close to paying off.
Fair enough, it's more of a mid/long term solution, but i still think that needs to be done sooner or later.
Generally i like frequent events, i just think that the UFC could do a better job on which fights they decide to put on the cards and in which order.

So as we all know, the UFC has opted to have more frequent cards in more recent years, having a card nearly every weekend. So my question is, which do you prefer?

Do you prefer how it is now? Cards nearly every weekend, however often lacking quality with only a handful of meaningful fights? Still yet, there’s the odd stacked card, but they’re not as frequent.

Or do you prefer how it used to be? Only a card or a two a month, but was filled mostly with known names.

For me, while I enjoy having fights to watch just about any weekend I choose, I think I’d prefer the old way. Much more anticipation between cards and the events felt bigger. Also, not feeling committed to watch frequently as to not miss anything.
Quality. I'm an old casual now.

Back