Hockey Fans Thrown Out for "Racism"

USA!USA!

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Let me preface this and say that I think they should have been thrown out 100% and I consider it racist. Wondering what you all think?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/sports/hockey/fans-barred-blackhawks-smith-pelly.html

"Smith-Pelly was sitting in the penalty box in the third period of Saturday night’s 7-1 loss to Chicago when the fans yelled “basketball, basketball, basketball” toward the winger, who is black. An off-ice official sitting next to Smith-Pelly notified United Center security, and the fans were promptly ejected."

The fans have since been banned from the United Center and all Blackhawks games in the future.

The majority of people agree this is racist and the punishment fit the crime, however there are still many who think it is too far to throw the fans out and punish them for only saying words.

Thoughts?

They yelled basketball? Yeah, these fucks deserve the chair if you ask me.

Let me preface this and say that I think they should have been thrown out 100% and I consider it racist. Wondering what you all think?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/sports/hockey/fans-barred-blackhawks-smith-pelly.html

"Smith-Pelly was sitting in the penalty box in the third period of Saturday night’s 7-1 loss to Chicago when the fans yelled “basketball, basketball, basketball” toward the winger, who is black. An off-ice official sitting next to Smith-Pelly notified United Center security, and the fans were promptly ejected."

The fans have since been banned from the United Center and all Blackhawks games in the future.

The majority of people agree this is racist and the punishment fit the crime, however there are still many who think it is too far to throw the fans out and punish them for only saying words.

Thoughts?
Good, fuck 'em.

Thoughts?
No, they shouldn't have been ejected. This is absurd.

No, they shouldn't have been ejected. This is absurd.

IDK man.. I am usually anti-pc, but chanting a stereotype at someone because of the color of their skin goes a little too far for me.

They yelled basketball? Yeah, these fucks deserve the chair if you ask me.

Lol. For real. Just anything is racist now. Stats, maths, income, weather- you name it. They weak bitches are helping more than hurting for now, so I'll take it.

they shouldn't have said it, clearly, but if we ejected all fans for egregious statements half the building would be gone

what's worse 'basketball' as an implied statement, or like 'I banged your mom last night bro!' or whatever

I'm also ASTONISHED that fans of a sport that is played by 99% white people worldwide would have racist thoughts, astonished

Lol. For real. Just anything is racist now. Stats, maths, income, weather- you name it. They weak bitches are helping more than hurting for now, so I'll take it.

Can you explain how chanting a known stereotype at a player because of their skin color isn't racist.

So, the private venue threw out an attendee for berating the athlete with possibly racially charged stereotypes?

Can't see the problem there. Paying for a ticket doesn't mean that you're free to be a dick.

Wow, so clever! Chanting "basketball" at a black guy. I'm sure these guys are real winners.

They should have put the guys in the penalty box with the hockey player so we can see what a bunch of cowards they actually are.

merlin_134125833_77c07fa7-4d25-4592-be04-45bc115e1b34-superJumbo.jpg

So, the private venue threw out an attendee for berating the athlete with possibly racially charged stereotypes?

Can't see the problem there. Paying for a ticket doesn't mean that you're free to be a dick.

Not "possibly" a racially charged stereotype.. it was a black player. It 100% was.

IDK man.. I am usually anti-pc, but chanting a stereotype at someone because of the color of their skin goes a little too far for me.
If there isn't an explicit expression of racism, then this is just sports fans being sports fans. Do you really think they can truly muzzle the human ability to creatively insinuate things in circumvention of whichever rules you set?

This has to be black and white.

This is so dumb. It's not outrageously criminal, because this is a private rather than public matter, but it's...dare I say?

A touch fascist.

Wow, so clever! Chanting "basketball" at a black guy. I'm sure these guys are real winners.

They should have put the guys in the penalty box with the hockey player so we can see what a bunch of cowards they actually are.

merlin_134125833_77c07fa7-4d25-4592-be04-45bc115e1b34-superJumbo.jpg

Real tough when they have glass protecting them, eh?

Why are YOU so OBSESSED WITH BEING PC YOU LIBTARD CUCK!!!!!!!

Real tough when they have glass protecting them, eh?

I think that our culture is infested with cowards that call themselves trolls. I'm sure they really thought they were so clever, chanting a stereotype that is so mundane on the surface. What could go wrong? The hockey player will know what they're saying, but nobody will do anything about it. Just like the internet!

Sorry, in real life you have to take some responsibility. The owner of the team can do what he wants with his arena, and he chose not have these cowardly dumbasses back.

they shouldn't have said it, clearly, but if we ejected all fans for egregious statements half the building would be gone

what's worse 'basketball' as an implied statement, or like 'I banged your mom last night bro!' or whatever

I'm also ASTONISHED that fans of a sport that is played by 99% white people worldwide would have racist thoughts, astonished

Just because it happens doesn't mean it should be acceptable behavior. No need to bring race into the taunting.

It seems the only ones supporting this are the ones who stereotype black people. Hell, until some of you mentioned it was racist, I would've never even put the two together. Then again I don't believe basketball is a "black only" thing. Also, I don't watch hockey or basketball so take that for what it's worth.

Hell even Boston Bruins fans were racist towards thier OWN goaltender a few seasons ago.

Just imagine what is being said ON ice.

Back