Holy Cow! Craig Jones Just Tapped Shields

For real . I’m a brown and marinated in basics as my instructor was a Cesar Gracie student for years . Lot of dudes nowadays wanna learn s new move everyday on YouTube but have shit badics . Kid cane to our gym . Solid blue . Had owon pans and tons of regionals1. 8 year old . (CA). He got a sweet beeimbolo on me and now and arrowwed me . Cool. We then did positional sparring . Kid couldn’t hold mount for shit . Couldn’t esscpe toght side control . Mount escape was nil basically . It’s :eek::eek::eek::eek: he had a real niche , specialized game with lot of cool tricks but was lacking in the “ invisible BJJ” type shit . Not everybody is like this of course , but too many dudes need to go back to day one Shit and refine it rather than learn drill berimbolo entries for a million reps .

So unless he voluntarily gives you top position for a drill he taps you like a bitch? Cool.

I’m having a group private with Gordon Ryan in a few weeks along with the other coaches at my gym, and I’m the only one who is asking for front headlock or kimura work or transitioning between the control systems. I’ll still go, but I really feel like I’d get a lot more out of something besides the leg stuff (because I’ve been obsessively studying it for the past couple years anyway).
You going to that seminar in SC?

I did a group private before and he showed some awesome arm-in guillotine, high elbow guillotine, brabo/darce, rolling kimura, and floating pass details. Everyone asked about legs but me and then one other guy asked about guard passing.

I would say there is a large demographic of people interested in IBJJF legal stuff, but I don't think finishes from the back appeal to people that much. Very few people in my experience are interested in doing something basic well.
Yeah. I think 2 things play into this.

1. Most schools in my experience teach that once you have the back, that the finish is more or less pretty easy to get. I bet there's less than half of the time devoted to grip-fighting to finishing back chokes (gi or no-gi) than there is on taking the back. Which is fine but back defense in improving majorly and finishing from the back is not as easy as it used to be.

2. It's not as exciting or cool. Like you said. I know one super basic grip fighting sequence they use to get the rear naked choke and it's helped me out a lot. I wish i knew more though.

So unless he voluntarily gives you top position for a drill he taps you like a bitch? Cool.
Yeah I wish I could never get tapped out at the gym like you brutha. Im a rec player. 2x weekl. 44 years old. Kids good. And if im a bitch cause I got tapped out by a kid who won pans, then you must be a mundial champion. Im just saying, his basic escapes were lacking. Not like Im a world beater. Like you.

Youre surprised that a blue belt couldn't escape from a inferior position against a brown belt? If he could take a back then choke you out, then give you dominant position only to escape to berimbolo and choke you out.... He wouldn't be a blue belt....
Theres levels to blues mang. Hes been training for 8 years. Hes basically a brown. Im a rec player. 44 years old. 2x weekly. Im not bragging at all. Im saying he had a lack of understanding some basic escapes. im not bragging at all. If I was, I wouldnt be admitting he tapped me. But so what? Sick of fools on sherdog acting like they never get tapped out. If u aint getting tapped out youre not training wiht the right people. Theres white belts at aoj and atos that could probably give higher belts fits at other schools cause they train full time but havent been promoted. Belt means shit really. If someone is king of their school and thinks theyre the shit, go train somewhere and get wrecked and get humbled. I recommend it.

Yeah I wish I could never get tapped out at the gym like you brutha. Im a rec player. 2x weekl. 44 years old. Kids good. And if im a bitch cause I got tapped out by a kid who won pans, then you must be a mundial champion. Im just saying, his basic escapes were lacking. Not like Im a world beater. Like you.

Not saying I'm better than you or him, but ranting about his ''kids these days'' game when he's beating you is hilarious. ''I can't pass his weird guard moves from 2012, but if I could, he wouldn't get out!'' Good posture and good grip control (you know, basic BJJ) really helps to prevent funky shit like berimbolos btw :D

Not saying I'm better than you or him, but ranting about his ''kids these days'' game when he's beating you is hilarious. ''I can't pass his weird guard moves from 2012, but if I could, he wouldn't get out!'' Good posture and good grip control (you know, basic BJJ) really helps to prevent funky shit like berimbolos btw :D
I hear ya . It does sound like a bitter old man lol.

You going to that seminar in SC?

I did a group private before and he showed some awesome arm-in guillotine, high elbow guillotine, brabo/darce, rolling kimura, and floating pass details. Everyone asked about legs but me and then one other guy asked about guard passing.
Nah, this one is a few hundred miles northwest of that.

See, that is the exact stuff I’d like to work on more. I guess I have another week or two to convince everyone to get on board with that but I don’t like my odds. I guess it’ll be nice to learn leglocks direct from him rather than picking apart competition footage at 1/4 speed for a change.

I guess it’ll be nice to learn leglocks direct from him rather than picking apart competition footage at 1/4 speed for a change.

Honestly can't understand your approach. I would love to be able to ask people who I'm emulating question. Watching competition footage is great but it's always awesome to watch them explain the moves afterwards. Some hidden details often makes a huge difference or you have to be a aware of something that didn't happen in that particular match etc or opposite something you might think might be important might be completely irrelevant and they don't care what particular grip they get.

Honestly can't understand your approach. I would love to be able to ask people who I'm emulating question. Watching competition footage is great but it's always awesome to watch them explain the moves afterwards. Some hidden details often makes a huge difference or you have to be a aware of something that didn't happen in that particular match etc or opposite something you might think might be important might be completely irrelevant and they don't care what particular grip they get.
It’s pretty simple. I feel I’m further behind on the front headlock game than the leglock games. If I had unlimited privates with him I’d want to do them all and definitely the leglock stuff. But I’m looking at it as a simple matter of filling in the biggest gaps.

It’s pretty simple. I feel I’m further behind on the front headlock game than the leglock games. If I had unlimited privates with him I’d want to do them all and definitely the leglock stuff. But I’m looking at it as a simple matter of filling in the biggest gaps.

Have we seen him use front headlock much in competitions?

Have we seen him use front headlock much in competitions?
Definitely It's one of Gordon and the entire Danaher crew's four main systems for no-gi (legs, back, front headlock, kimura).

They express them in different ways and there's not been as much exposure yet in a mainstream way. But Garry Tonon has used a ton of high elbow guillotines in comp. He's got a darce or two in IBJJF matches. He had a deep anaconda on Daniel O'Brien. Gordon Ryan just won the finals his weight division at ADCC with an arm-in guillotine and he's got a couple other guillotine wins at EBI. Gordon has some of the best front headlock game I've ever felt. Eddie Cummings uses the front headlock all the time to to set up the back, and had a beautiful front head to anaconda to marce sequence at his first EBI.

And those are just the obvious finishes. The connections to other places are more interesting. They use the front headlock a ton to set up back attacks and kimura attacks.

Watch Oliver Taza who is one of the their junior members. The way he uses the front headlock is a perfect example. Here he uses it throughout the match to go for the legs, a submission, and then the back.

all the matches are on youtube, i liked them a lot, but one question, in this match what we are referring to when we say front headlock?

Definitely It's one of Gordon and the entire Danaher crew's four main systems for no-gi (legs, back, front headlock, kimura).

They express them in different ways and there's not been as much exposure yet in a mainstream way. But Garry Tonon has used a ton of high elbow guillotines in comp. He's got a darce or two in IBJJF matches. He had a deep anaconda on Daniel O'Brien. Gordon Ryan just won the finals his weight division at ADCC with an arm-in guillotine and he's got a couple other guillotine wins at EBI. Gordon has some of the best front headlock game I've ever felt. Eddie Cummings uses the front headlock all the time to to set up the back, and had a beautiful front head to anaconda to marce sequence at his first EBI.

And those are just the obvious finishes. The connections to other places are more interesting. They use the front headlock a ton to set up back attacks and kimura attacks.

Watch Oliver Taza who is one of the their junior members. The way he uses the front headlock is a perfect example. Here he uses it throughout the match to go for the legs, a submission, and then the back.

Jesús that dude taza was going afaisnt in one tough sob...

Craig has basics and will fuck you with them

Back