Honey bees or butterflies?

They’re both my favorite.
Butterflies are also pollinators.
The monarch butterfly migration is quite amazing.

Eastern Monarch
Decreasing day length and temperatures, along with aging milkweed and fewer nectar sources trigger a change in monarchs; this change signifies the beginning of the migratory generation. Unlike summer generations that live for two to six weeks as adults, adults in the migratory generation can live for up to nine months. Most monarch butterflies that emerge after about mid August in the eastern U.S. enter reproductive diapause (do not reproduce) and begin to migrate south in search of the overwintering grounds where they have never been before. From across the eastern U.S. and southern Canada, monarchs funnel toward Mexico. Along the way, they find refuge in stopover sites with abundant nectar sources and shelter from harsh weather. Upon reaching their destination in central Mexico beginning in early November, monarchs aggregate in oyamel fir trees on south-southwest facing mountain slopes. These locations provide cool temperatures, water, and adequate shelter to protect them from predators and allow them to conserve enough energy to survive winter. In March, this generation begins the journey north into Texas and southern states, laying eggs and nectaring as they migrate and breed. The first generation offspring from the overwintering population continue the journey from the southern U.S. to recolonize the eastern breeding grounds, migrating north through the central latitudes in approximately late April through May. Second and third generations populate the breeding grounds throughout the summer. It is generally the fourth generation that begins where we started this paragraph, migrating through the central and southern U.S. and northern Mexico to the wintering sites in central Mexico.

Western Monarchs​

In any given year, adult monarchs west of the Rocky Mountains leave overwintering sites along the California coast (with a small number of sites in Baja California and Arizona) in February and March and head inland in search of milkweed on which to deposit their eggs. Once first-generation monarch eggs reach adulthood, they disperse east across the Central Valley and north across most of the western states. Second- and third-generation monarchs live and die throughout spring and summer, generally staying in the same areas where they hatched. The fourth generation (along with late bloomers from the third generation) emerges in late summer to fall. This migratory generation lives 6-9 months, compared to the 2-5 weeks of earlier generations. Western migratory monarchs also differ biologically from non-migratory generations; they are in a state of reproductive diapause, meaning their reproductive organs do not mature until later in the adult stage (after winter). Instead of looking for milkweed, fourth-generation western monarchs require nectar to build lipid reserves as they migrate south and west to the overwintering sites along the California coast (also in Baja California and Arizona), arriving around late October. Once they arrive, they roost for the winter in eucalyptus, Monterey cypress, Monterey pine, and other trees, sometimes in aggregations of thousands of individuals. In February and March, reproductive diapause ends and the annual cycle starts anew. Milkweed and nectar plant availability throughout the spring, summer, and fall will benefit western monarchs. In areas of the desert southwest, monarchs use nectar and milkweed plants throughout much of the year. For western monarch information and resources, visit the Western Monarchs category of our

I like bees. Especially with birds.

I don't mind letting a butterfly watch though. It's the least I can do. It's his wife, after all.

Reactions: 666
My parents told me when I was a kid that bumble bees were harmless.

One landed on my arm when I was probably 7-8 years old. I tried to gently remove it from my arm, but it was able to somehow hold onto my skin. When I pulled a bit harder, it stung the crap out of me.

I'll go with team butterfly.

Hello friends! I thought of making the most light-hearted thread I could! Thanks for joining me all y'all good folk!

I was wondering whether you like bees or butterflies more? Bees are crucial to the environment but I just think butterflies are so beautiful!

I would have to go with honey bees though. They make such yummy yummy Honey!

If anyone has a different insect they love I would indeed like to hear about that also! Thanks guys!
Butterflies are also very important for the ecosystem and pollination.

• Eek

One landed on my arm when I was probably 7-8 years old. I tried to gently remove it from my arm, but it was able to somehow hold onto my skin. When I pulled a bit harder, it stung the crap out of me.

I used to grab bumblebees and throw them at people and I never got stung

Honey B

beyonce-renaissance-stream.jpg

• Eek
Hello friends! I thought of making the most light-hearted thread I could! Thanks for joining me all y'all good folk!

I was wondering whether you like bees or butterflies more? Bees are crucial to the environment but I just think butterflies are so beautiful!

If anyone has a different insect they love I would indeed like to hear about that also! Thanks guys!

Never has there been a more difficult question to answer...

Mosquitos, the deadliest creatures on the planet.

You can have your Lions and Tigers and @Osculater 's team them up with crocodiles, great white sharks, rhinos, hippos, flying monkeys, whatever else you want to throw on that team and mosquitos will have killed 30x's as many humans.

I'm in a real anti-human mood today......it may pass.....it may not

The ones that don't sting if you destroy the nest they made in your yard

The ones that don't sting if you destroy the nest they made in your yard
If you were tougher you'd go out shirtless and take the honey combes by hand like a true Sherdog alpha.

They can only sting once and if you succumb to the venom or allergies it's Darwinism IMO.

It's hard to not like the fat, fuzzy bumblebee.

Bumblebees are chill AF though. You can even pet them when they're on a flower and they won't do anything. Sometimes I accidentally smack into them when working on a plant and they get over it immediately. They're pacifists, they never want to do anything unless they feel cornered. A bumble going on your arm is unusual, they're always working, it might have been exhausted or cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konster1
Back