• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion Houthis, Hamas, Ukraine - my conspiracy theory.

If USA is silly enough to start engaging in countries like Niger, or wherever discord is sown, then yeah - they'll spread themselves too soon pretty rapidly.

It's beyond ridiculous that the USA would need to invest a lot in Israel, though. Wherever we stand on that conflict, it's a country with an iron dome, tanks, jets, and precision weaponry against guys who make rockets from pipes and have some AK47s.

Ukraine is the country that is facing a bigger and more powerful enemy, and that should be where the Western nations are prioritizing their support.
That's an overly simplistic view of the conflict. It may be true that Israel has a very high tech and well trained army but the country in general has pretty much no strategic depth. Even now with only the fight against Hamas and token rocket fire from Hezbollah the country is swamped by internal refugees who had to flee the area around Gaza as well as Northern Israel.

That's an overly simplistic view of the conflict. It may be true that Israel has a very high tech and well trained army but the country in general has pretty much no strategic depth. Even now with only the fight against Hamas and token rocket fire from Hezbollah the country is swamped by internal refugees who had to flee the area around Gaza as well as Northern Israel.

Not sure how any of that amounts to USA needing to exhaust military resources.

USA should only have minimal input into Israel.

Not sure how any of that amounts to USA needing to exhaust military resources.

USA should only have minimal input into Israel.
They're an ally of ours in need so its natural that we'd support them.

I don't think that conflict is about actual resource spending. I think it's more about driving a wedge between us and our other allies who aren't as consistently pro-Israel as we are. If they interpret our actions as overly permissive in that conflict, it makes us less credible across the board. Global police, world leaders, etc. have to be consistent and they might not perceive our actions there as consistent with our actions or rhetoric elsewhere.

There's a possibility countries think a little less of the USA after this, but it shouldn't really have any cause to weaken the US.

If China pulls the trigger on Taiwan you would have your answer. I think it's more just individual actors acting knowing China won't oppose and the west won't get involved outside of proximity funding.

Also, with Ukraine, wouldn't it be Europe worrying that the US is shifting its Overton Window towards the exhausted side?

Agreed, this is a good counterpoint.

The thing is, Russia can still see it like this: send a PMC to countries with an unstable or barely functional leadership, disrupt it at minimal cost, install a leader that is pro-Russia, and they've got yet another subservient state beyond the satellites they really on so heavily.

Do nothing, Russia wins, start spending to combat them, Russia also kinda wins - unless it expedites R&D like you say.

The pmc things not just s Russian thing sadly. Governments and corporations have had their fingers in that pie for ages ( uk as well ( not just Russia)

The pmc things not just s Russian thing sadly. Governments and corporations have had their fingers in that pie for ages ( uk as well ( not just Russia)

Yeah, I specifically had Niger in mind there, should have clarified really

The US has supported them thoroughly - but that support doesn't need to come at great cost.
What do you mean?
Iseral is beyond an ally. The 2nd largest foreign nation represented on the NASDAQ and one of your largest R&D partners.
Yeah they're not some peripheral part of our international order. That's why I always laugh when boneheads say something like "Why aren't people protesting Syria or Sudan?" as if those countries are anywhere comparable to Israel in terms of how embedded they are in the global liberal order.

Yeah they're not some peripheral part of our international order. That's why I always laugh when boneheads say something like "Why aren't people protesting Syria or Sudan?" as if those countries are anywhere comparable to Israel in terms of how embedded they are in the global liberal order.

Outside of Geo landscape, Iseral is basically on par with Canada and absolutely equal to Western Europe in terms of importance to US relations. There's reason why college students in the west seem to give more a fuck about palestine than basically every Arab nation surrounding it.

What do you mean?

Political support costs very little.

USA has given Israel a ton of political support, ie, the UN votes, keeping the international community off their backs, preventing international retaliation from countries like Iran (and other very unhappy countries) through diplomacy.

This isn't the kind of support Ukraine needs, Ukraine needs a lot of support to defend itself.

Israel, less so.

Yeah, I specifically had Niger in mind there, should have clarified really

Yeah recently watched a doco on Simon Mann...

Executive outcomes was.... interesting

Political support costs very little.

USA has given Israel a ton of political support, ie, the UN votes, keeping the international community off their backs, preventing international retaliation from countries like Iran (and other very unhappy countries) through diplomacy.

This isn't the kind of support Ukraine needs, Ukraine needs a lot of support to defend itself.

Israel, less so.
Ukraine has a lot more strategic depth and a much bigger population than Israel does so in some ways its position is less precarious.

Neither Russia or especially Hamas represents any sort of threat to the USA. We're overextending ourselves and for matters that don't represent the interests of the average American.

Ukraine has a lot more strategic depth and a much bigger population than Israel does so in some ways its position is less precarious.

I don't think we can really make that argument considering the size and scale of the enemy invading and in current occupation.

I was just thinking about the timeline of events and how it's spreading out our forces and resources. I have absolutely nothing to base this opinion on other than years of playing Risk, chess and various strategy games.

But it feels like between these 3 conflicts we're being spread out and our resources being spread thin to support various military operations that ultimately will tax our allies willingness to blindly follow us. We might feel fine engaging in conflict at this scale but surely our allies are going to start wanting to pull back even more. Which undermines our position as global leader.

It's something I've been theorizing for a while. That China and Russia are collaborating on fomenting discord that weakens our global standing, rather than engaging in actions that directly challenge it. Forcing us to lead our allies into decisions that they don't want to be a part of. And I feel like it's escalating.

The US has been doing this for a very long time and China and Russia are merely taking advantage. Almost everytime someone elected a govt that wasn't corporate friendly they overthrew them starting with Chile and since 1991 its only gotten worse. Libyas another recent example the people had perhaps more human rights than anywhere else and the US blew it up and now it's a nightmare. Theres so many recent national stories that go like that especially in South America and Africa. Those regions badly want the current global order to change there is a lot of resentment there. Yemen in particular was just subject to a 10 year Saudi genocide that was supported by the US. They are not blocking the red sea because someone told them to they are doing so because they are very very mad. And they should be.

The key to maintaining an empire is not alienating people and nations. Its what all the worlds strongest countries and governments that have existed for any extended period of time have done. But because the US regime believes in it's own moral superioty(and by extension that of neoliberalism) and has gotten high on it's own supply it sees no need to do this. The US talks about the importance of the peaceful transition of power within the confines of a "democratic system" but when this would threaten their interests they routinely do the opposite.

That sounds like an Israeli problem not a American problem. They have the resources and their military is literally designed for such conflicts.

They don't need more resources.

I was just thinking about the timeline of events and how it's spreading out our forces and resources. I have absolutely nothing to base this opinion on other than years of playing Risk, chess and various strategy games.

But it feels like between these 3 conflicts we're being spread out and our resources being spread thin to support various military operations that ultimately will tax our allies willingness to blindly follow us. We might feel fine engaging in conflict at this scale but surely our allies are going to start wanting to pull back even more. Which undermines our position as global leader.

It's something I've been theorizing for a while. That China and Russia are collaborating on fomenting discord that weakens our global standing, rather than engaging in actions that directly challenge it. Forcing us to lead our allies into decisions that they don't want to be a part of. And I feel like it's escalating.
As a foreigner from an allied country (Australia) you need to deploy more of a carrot/stick approach with your relationships when they are warranted.

You're allowed to have allies but you shouldn't be supporting allies with highly questionable ethics unconditionally. SA and Israel should not be subsidized to fight against opponents they can crush without your help.

There really is no legitimate reason to be giving both of these countries carrots right now. Don't beat them to death with the stick but at the very least you should give them both your best impression of a catholic school nun with a cane sorting out some swearing children.

Your support does weaken your global standing.

Ukraine is a completely different story.

There was a massive nuclear standoff the dissolution of the Soviet Union. You brokered the largest nuclear de-proliferation in human history. That is a good thing. Despite what morons say nuclear weapons are fucking horrible and the nuclear "deterrent" is a stupid deterrent with highly questionable effectiveness.

You should stand by that agreement. Breaking your promise on the world largest nuclear de-proliferation deal because you don't want to part with 0.5% of your GDP makes you look like an absolute piece of shit.

Even more importantly Ukraine is being watched very carefully by China.

China become a super power is one of if not your biggest geopolitical blunder in 50 years. You've turned a country that has opposing beliefs on democracy, freedom of speech, human rights in general into the worlds second power and they are watching Ukraine with great intent.

If you're not willing to part with 0.5% of your GDP to beat weak ass Russia you're essentially giving China a green light to start shit in Asia. They have the manpower, economy and manufacturing capacity to make this Ukraine/Russia conflict look like a tickling contest.

Technologically China's war capacity is behind that of the west but wars aren't solely won on technology. The big 3 play a MASSIVE role.

A "proxy" war with China will cost Trillions, kill Millions and looking weak right now drastically increases the likelihood of that happening.

The whole MGTOW foreign policy is retarded. You don't need to stop playing the game because you stupidly tarnished your reputation in the middle east with horrible decisions.

You just need to stop with the horrible decisions.

We all fucking hate China, we just need a competent US leader to band us together for the economic decoupling and you're giving us a bunch of fucking potatoes instead.

Back