How can O Brother Where Art Thou be the first film done on a digital intermediate?

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats a claim I see thrown around a lot by supposed cinephiles.

"O Brother" was the first movie done with a digital intermediate."

How? O Brother came out in 2000.

How did they get the CGI into Terminator 2 in 1991 without a digital intermediate?

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the fact that it wasn't filmed on "film" but on a digital camera. IIRC it was one of the first films made on a RED camera (a high end professional digital camera). That era was when people started to make the transition as the technology was finally able to handle it. 28 Days Later was also famous for this in 2002.

They're definitely NOT referring to there being CGI in the film.

Thats a claim I see thrown around a lot by supposed cinephiles.

"O Brother" was the first movie done with a digital intermediate."

How? O Brother came out in 2000.

How did they get the CGI into Terminator 2 in 1991 without a digital intermediate?

What they're referring to was that once the film was finished, they altered the colors on the screen in post-production. They gave the movie an overall sepia-tone to evoke the old-time feel they wanted.

For example, in the scene in which the escapees meet up with Tommy, the fields are shown in the movie to be dried out. When filmed, the fields were deep green.

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the fact that it wasn't filmed on "film" but on a digital camera. IIRC it was one of the first films made on a RED camera (a high end professional digital camera). That era was when people started to make the transition as the technology was finally able to handle it. 28 Days Later was also famous for this in 2002.

They're definitely NOT referring to there being CGI in the film.

It was shot on film

What they're referring to was that once the film was finished, they altered the colors on the screen in post-production. They gave the movie an overall sepia-tone to evoke the old-time feel they wanted.

For example, in the scene in which the escapees meet up with Tommy, the fields are shown in the movie to be dried out. When filmed, the fields were deep green.

We just wont mention Schindlers List (1993)

<PlusJuan>

You think they filmed a CGI terminator walking around the set my guy?

Exactly, so they must have used a DI. But we already are past that. What O Brother is supposedly the first at is digital color grading but I'm thinking Schindler's List may have done it first to add red to the girls coat.

We just wont mention Schindlers List (1993)

Digital Intermediate

2000: O Brother, Where Art Thou? – The first time a digital intermediate was used on the entirety of a first-run Hollywood film which otherwise had very few visual effects. The work was done in Los Angeles by Cinesite utilizing a Spirit DataCine for scanning at 2K resolution, a Pandora International MegaDef system to adjust the color and a Kodak Lightning II recorder to output to film.

TS hasn’t figure out how to use google yet

le-brasier-ardent-20-mosjoukine-closeup.gif

total CGI

Back