How did you score Round 1 of Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor 3?

How did you score Round 1 of Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor 3?

• Total voters
Watched it again today and while Poirier clearly won the round, it wasn’t quite the ass-whooping it seemed like live. 10-9.

When Connor was against the cage and Porier couldn’t hop out to Connor’s left , I thought it was pretty close. If Connor could have just grabbed a half guard it was there to finish

My money on DP was sweating there when Porier was trying to escape to the cage side but didn’t have the room

Having his hips up like that is sufficient to survive the choke. If Conor had been able to sweep Poirer over and attack it from mount we would be talking about his underrated ground game. Instead he sat back, hugged the head like a white belt and committed to a choke that was not there. Conors stand up looked pretty good until he got tagged. he just doesn't seem to carry his power to 155 for some reason.

I thought it was a 10-9 for Dustin.

Conor was lighting him up the first 90 seconds. Poirier got the combinations in, Conor panic clinch/wrestled. He jumps guillotine and fails, Dustin gets the takedown. Now at this point I thought the fight was 50/50.

Dustin then lands ground n pound and controls McGregor but I didn’t think they were the hardest shots. McGregor got a couple good elbows and upkicks in (albeit by cheating) aswell.

So why is it a 10-8? Am I missing something? Was I biased?

Imo with Dustin hurting Conor on the feet, landing vicious GnP, the leg break and the round ending with Poirier on top teeing off. Clear 10-8.

Without the ending it's just a strong 10-9 for Poirier.

I don't get why they call it panic wrestle. He actually held him long enough to rest and get his balance back imo. Better than his usual tactic which was to just quit

I think the judges that scored it 10-8 may have thought that Dustin dropped Conor at the end, rather than Conor taking a bad step.

The idea that Conor was superior to Dustin in the stand up is false. Conor connected ONE straight left that Dustin ate without a problem.
Then Dustin barrage quickly converted Conor into a panic wrestler.
Then Dustin had a TD and for most of the rounds kept Conor under control and applied hard GnP.
At no point, whatsoever, of the round, Conor was in control or was in the dominant position. At all.
It was a clear 10-8.

Conor got rocked, then battered on the ground for over two minutes, then (the judges thought) knocked down and saved by the bell.

I'm sure to the judges, like it did to me, live the leg break looked like DP dropped him. They don't go back and watch replay and change the score.

If someone is dropped in the last 10 seconds, and getting pounded on and saved by the bell, that's a pretty good reason to give a 10-8.

Alternatively, Herb could have done his job and took a point for McG's cheating, making it a 10-8. But since Herb let Conor cheat like 14 times vs Khabib, that's just not going to happen.

There was a moment early in the GNP where it looked like we were about 5 seconds from a stoppage.

Thats enough.

Didn't the leg break happen over the course of the round?

If you were a judge and one of the fighters took enough damage to break a freaking leg, and you STILL had to score the round, wouldn't that be enough for awarding the other fighter an extra point?

Serious question.

Conor was getting pieced up. He had nothing, absolutely nothing for Poirier. You could roll this fight 100 times over and Poirier would win every single one of them.

The idea that Conor was superior to Dustin in the stand up is false. Conor connected ONE straight left that Dustin ate without a problem.
Then Dustin barrage quickly converted Conor into a panic wrestler.
Then Dustin had a TD and for most of the rounds kept Conor under control and applied hard GnP.
At no point, whatsoever, of the round, Conor was in control or was in the dominant position. At all.
It was a clear 10-8.
What did you make of Conor's leg kicks? He did hit Dustin with like 6-7 hard ones that were almost unanswered if I'm not mistaken.

I think the judges that scored it 10-8 may have thought that Dustin dropped Conor at the end, rather than Conor taking a bad step.

This is the only thing that makes sense.

The striking stats were really not lopsided (Poirier outlanded Conor 36 to 27) but because he broke his leg and Poirier pounced on him he was 'saved by the bell' in the judge's eyes.

Without the leg break, it would have been 10-9 Poirier on all 3 judge's cards. People said Conor's ear was bleeding but it was not from inside the ear. It was from the top or something.

Didn't the leg break happen over the course of the round?

If you were a judge and one of the fighters took enough damage to break a freaking leg, and you STILL had to score the round, wouldn't that be enough for awarding the other fighter an extra point?

Serious question.
If the leg break did happen over the course of a round, it wasn't visible. Not until the last 10 seconds. I think that if I were to judge the fight that just went down I wouldn't attribute the leg break to Poirier, so I wouldn't give him an extra point. However, if I would see it was because of a checked kick, then it would be a different story.

It’s just how you perceive a 10-8 round I guess

I guess I’m more towards saying it was a 10-9 round but if anyone said it was 10-8 I wouldn’t really argue

Watching it live yes 10-8. You didn't have the benefit of watching the round over before scoring it. So while looking at it again maybe I would say 10-9 I get why it would've came in as a 10-8.

Simple question. The official Sherdog scorers did not hand in their tallies because the fight was over as soon as we saw McGregor's ankle give way. As the official Sherdog Play-by-Play guy, I would have scored the round 10-8 to Poirier, and I'm not sure how my two editor colleagues scored it in our panel.

Of the three cageside judges, Derek Cleary and Junichiro Kamijo scored R1 10-8 for Poirier, and Sal D'Amato scored R1 10-9 for Poirier.
View attachment 866869

What say you? Was the first round of Poirier-McGregor 3 a 10-8 round?
under the new rules, this should be a clear 10-8.
most old-timers will be reluctant and score a 10-9.
but regardless, not a single soul should think 10-9 COnor....not even COnor, despite of what he said.... he was obviously in pain and delirious!

LMFAO @ 10-8 DP.

Conor landed more and harder.

A freak accident gave the haters a reprieve from their pitiful existence.

The round ended with Conor in the fetal position taking shots as Poirier reigned over him. Herb looking closely to stop it.
How on earth is that anything but a 10-8?
The fight was seconds away from being called off....

not that it matters, I just found some people’s insistence on a 10-9 rather strange.

There really isn't. What you're seeing is just the backlash of Conor fanboys that are hurting right now.
<DCrying>

Once again Conor haters showing they're retarded anything Conor related. Thank God ur not a judge. Ur embarrassing as a fan as it is

Back