How do vegans bulk up in weight?

"Moreover, our results showed that a vegetarian diet is associated with poorer health (higher incidences of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), a higher need for health care, and poorer quality of life. Therefore, public health programs are needed in order to reduce the health risk due to nutritional factors."

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0088278#abstract0

^^^
Thats vegetarian not vegan... eggs are the #1 dietary source of cholesterol and dairy is the worst for saturated fats so you can't apply these results to vegans.

Im vegan and work in construction.
I use my diet to out perform my workmates. If I go on holiday though ill throw it out the window. It takes about 3 days to recover into a routine.
There is plenty of fake meat, soy protein products and I use legumes as well.
If I got any heavier I would probably be obsess, if not already.

Dont for get though, transfats and omega 6 is bad!
M kay?

Thats vegetarian not vegan... eggs are the #1 dietary source of cholesterol and dairy is the worst for saturated fats so you can't apply these results to vegans.

If cholesterol or saturated fat was the issue, wouldn't omnivores have done worse than vegetarians?

Plus vegans were lumped in with vegetarians in that study IIRC.

Your theory is contradicted by the facts. Reconsider.

There's a lot of posts in here discussing a lot of shit, and not much of it has to do with the correct answer, Almonds.

If cholesterol or saturated fat was the issue, wouldn't omnivores have done worse than vegetarians?

Plus vegans were lumped in with vegetarians in that study IIRC.

Your theory is contradicted by the facts. Reconsider.

From what ive seen vegetarians often end up eating more eggs and more dairy than omnivores. Eggs have a lot more cholesterol than steak.

Look at the acacia tree. Acacia have been observed to secrete a toxic substance in response to trauma to their leaves, such as from a grazing giraffe. The substance is nauseating in taste and the goal is to reduce the herbivorous predation on the tree.

This thread's made me feel nauseous. I'm beginning to wonder if the D&S sub forum has some kind of inherent defence mechanism against intelligent thought.

From what ive seen vegetarians often end up eating more eggs and more dairy than omnivores. Eggs have a lot more cholesterol than steak.

This is a hilarious new tack.

Meat is fine - it's the eggs and dairy that are bad?

And it's because of their lipid content?

Did you not read any of the links in this thread posted (to actual studies, not vegan advocacy sites) that show no relationship between saturated fat consumption and ill health? Or how egg consumption is linked with an improvement in HDL/LDL ratio?

Did you not read any of the links in this thread posted (to actual studies, not vegan advocacy sites) that show no relationship between saturated fat consumption and ill health? Or how egg consumption is linked with an improvement in HDL/LDL ratio?

<3 swooons lol

You are talking like vegan advocacy sites have an a fraction of the amount of funding as egg/dairy/meat lobbyists.

You are talking like vegan advocacy sites have an a fraction of the amount of funding as egg/dairy/meat lobbyists.

1) total cop out. Please give some kind of evidence to back up your insinuations.

2) meta-analyses of thousands of studies with potentially millions of subjects are not suddenly invalid just because they show that food humanity has been eating for hundreds of thousands of years isn't bad for us.

You're coming in with your conclusions already decided and trying to find an excuse to ignore anything that doesn't match it.

Saturated fats and dietary cholesterol have been vindicated by the latest studies. They are not magically evil toxins. They even seem to have positive associations with good health outcomes in some studies.

The lipid hypothesis is dead.

1) total cop out. Please give some kind of evidence to back up your insinuations.

2) meta-analyses of thousands of studies with potentially millions of subjects are not suddenly invalid just because they show that food humanity has been eating for hundreds of thousands of years isn't bad for us.
You're coming in with your conclusions already decided and trying to find an excuse to ignore anything that doesn't match it.

3)Saturated fats and dietary cholesterol have been vindicated by the latest studies. They are not magically evil toxins. They even seem to have positive associations with good health outcomes in some studies.

The lipid hypothesis is dead.

1)You know there is data and you already said that you don't believe it because it promotes a vegan lifestyle. I am just saying your data is far more biased because of the billion dollar industry it supports.

2) Yes 1000s of studies are made to prove that unhealthy things are healthy. See the tobacco industry.

3)Recent studies are too new to have gone through rigorous peer review.

One simple question though. Why do arteries of humans, rabbit and other herbivores accumulate atherosclerosis when consuming cholesterol while arteries of bears, wolves and tigers do not?

1)You know there is data and you already said that you don't believe it because it promotes a vegan lifestyle. I am just saying your data is far more biased because of the billion dollar industry it supports.
1) Data cannot be biased, only the analysis of it.
2) You didn't answer my question. What proof do you have of your unfalsifiable and fanciful claims?

2) Yes 1000s of studies are made to prove that unhealthy things are healthy. See the tobacco industry.

3)Recent studies are too new to have gone through rigorous peer review.
You don't understand what meta-analyses are, so just back away from this. You are out of your depth.

The science does not support the idea that saturated fats derived from animals or dietary cholesterol have negative impacts on human health. The lipid hypothesis is dead. Finito. Kerpunct. It's kicked the bucket. Got sent to the farm upstate.
One simple question though. Why do arteries of humans, rabbit and other herbivores accumulate atherosclerosis when consuming cholesterol while arteries of bears, wolves and tigers do not?

You can't seriously believe that utter drivel that humans are herbivores? Name one herbivore that produces a tenth as much bile as humans. This utter joke of a myth has been debunked so many times that it is literally laughable.

Humans don't accumulate artery blockage from consuming saturated fats or cholesterol. If you read the links to actual studies you'd have understood this. Low-level continual inflammation appears to be the biggest factor.

Rabbits and other herbivores get nasty effects from eating things like cholesterol or hydrogenated soy oil (which is the common "saturated fat" used in dietary studies on mice/rabbits) because their digestive systems are not configured to consume those things. While hydrogenated soy oil should not be eaten by anything ever, humans and other omnivores have all the necessary digestive bits to consume animal lipids.

Herbivorous primates are fermentative in digestion of their fibrous plant matter. Humans lack the equipment for such except in a small supplemental fashion. We are omnivores. Our digestive tracts share traits with both non-fermentative herbivores and with carnivores. We have carnivore-type dietary dependencies - B12, taurine, various AAs that it would be horribly difficult to find in sufficient amounts in plants in any one region... And we can digest plants much better than most carnivores. Especially with cooking.

All vegans that have any understanding of physiology do not support that ludicrous myth. It's like claiming that Noah and the Flood was a literal story.

so wait whats your answer?
You don't believe that Humans get atherosclerosis?
Or do you think that carnivores like tigers do?
similar inflamation is in cholesterol consuming rabbit arteries too, why would humans just be a disease of inflamation and not consumption of cholesterol.

Last edited:

He didn't say we didn't, nor did he say tigers do (i don't follow tiger arteries/physiology), but those are weak arguments either way since while some of our physiology is similar to other animals, we are still inherently different in many facets. He answered your question if you read through it carefully.

As a current kinesiology student, the data does not support saturated fat as a culprit of CHD's. The lipid hypothesis and china study is completely dismissed in our classes also. This industry and what people have been told for a number of years is changing. It's taken a while until people could finally see what Mary Enig has known for decades.

He didn't say we didn't, nor did he say tigers do (i don't follow tiger arteries/physiology), but those are weak arguments either way since while some of our physiology is similar to other animals, we are still inherently different in many facets. He answered your question if you read through it carefully.

As a current kinesiology student, the data does not support saturated fat as a culprit of CHD's. The lipid hypothesis and china study is completely dismissed in our classes also. This industry and what people have been told for a number of years is changing. It's taken a while until people could finally see what Mary Enig has known for decades.

so to you arteries clogging with cholesterol is a trivial adaptation?

Last edited:
similar inflamation is in cholesterol consuming rabbit arteries too, why would humans just be a disease of inflamation and not consumption of cholesterol.
Are you incapable of addressing what I actually wrote?

I said that the science shows that saturated fats/cholesterol do not appear to have a causal relationship ship with CHD in humans. Introducing red herrings left and right doesn't address this simple fact.

As for rabbits being different from humans - of course they are, we diverged from them way the hell back on the evolutionary tree? Same with tigers. Not sure what pointing at them is supposed to do.

Yet again you're trying to make the facts fit your conclusions rather than the other way around.

so to you arteries clogging with cholesterol is a trivial adaptation?

How did you get this from what you're replying to? At all? Is this just being incapable of addressing what someone actually said again?

Reading your replies, it almost sounds like you still believe that story about saturated fat and dietary cholesterol literally going into the blood stream and literally forming blockages. I suggest you read a college level book on the topic. That is not the mechanism for atherosclerosis.

Oh, and on topic - yes almond butter, all day every day. That's what I lived on when I was trying to be athletic and vegan at the same time. Plus other nut butters for AA variety.

Back