How Do You Guy’s See Australian MMA Progressing?

The UFC filled marvel stadium for the holly fight (has a roof). All UFC events sell out here, but it likely has a lot to with the rarity of them. I doubt they would sell as well if they were run every week or two like USA.

Apex arena...

It's hard selling out cards in the US too.

Apex arena...

It's hard selling out cards in the US too.

I think the Apex has the plus of production costs being far lower. I am shocked the UFC still do so many here when how profitable filling up an arena can be. I think the UFC could sell out in the USA if it ran more. None of the UFC cards appear to struggle to sell pretty much anywhere they go.

The more countries producing good talent, the better!

Never met a bad Aussie or Kiwi, wonderful people and natural beauty that part of the world.

It's good. I think our lighter weight classes and women have some great prospects at the moment. As far as the gap in wrestling, it's not like gyms are neglecting it, they know the significance of it. It might take another generation or two to get coaches that can provide good knowledge of it in an MMA context as well. I think the potential with athletes is there but a lot of the coaches are still lacking when it comes to seeing MMA as it's own system.

One thing I can criticise though is that despite us being a small country, unfortunately there is a lot of protecting going on, but I suppose that might be like everywhere else. I would love for a premiere promotion to establish itself - like a local version of Cage Warriors.

IMO if ONE keeps doing well they have a pool of talent here to choose from and make stars out of, these guys are young and hungry and not all of them will get an opportunity for the UFC, the convenient distance to SEA can't be ignored and i'm sure many guys from the kickboxing/MT background have enough ties there that they can feel comfortable going back and forth.

Last edited:
12 years ago I was looking for wrestling options in Sydney.

There were 2.

1 legit but hard for me location wise.

The other talked alot about discretion, their policy on taking photos and in short seemed like a gay swingers club with wrestling advertising.

I choose neither.

Options have improved since.

It will probably go as good as Australia Olympics

Summer or winter?

Summer we massively overachieve, winter well winter is for pussies.

IMO, good fighters come out of Austria.

And Australia.

And other places too.

I try to catch Eternal shows as much as I can, the fighters may not have ridiculously good Dagestani 16-0 records but they’re definitely improving with time.

It’s also nice to see them selling bigger and bigger shows here to bigger and bigger crowds.

I know a bloke who's had a few fight on the Eternal FC and he says the people who run the shows are a good mob. I hope the show does well and I might try and catch one live this year on the gold coast.

Yeah if we could get wrestling over here I feel like we would improve a lot of talent.

There’s just such little interest for it here.

Wrestling I definitely growing here. Not because of wrestling but because it's a current trend in nogi.

Wrestling is always going to struggle because it is not as fun as bjj for the majority of people.

I'm constantly surprised seeing up and coming mma fighters skip wrestling/grappling and just focus on striking.

I’d love that.

The only problem is getting the better athletes into MMA because Rugby and AFL are more popular and pay way more. I imagine it’s the same deal as in America how top tier athletes will go into the NFL or NBA because it pays so much more.

Mma is getting huge here, I see young kids/teens talking about ufc fighters etc. That can only be good for the sport

Wrestling I definitely growing here. Not necessarily because of wrestling but because it's a current trend in nogi.

Wrestling is always going to struggle because it is not as fun as bjj for the majority of people.

I'm constantly surprised seeing up and coming mma fighters skip wrestling/grappling and just focus on striking.

Good seeing Jenkins win yesterday he’s shaping up well, looks very composed in there and has some powerful leg kicks.

Hey man if it wasn’t for that Phelps fella we’d be taking home those swimming medals!
Could work on his boxing defence though he was getting hit with some good shots.

Plus maybe jut a bit more wrestling defence

I mean, by the ratio of population, the continent of Australia has by far the best MMA talent. Think of how many great fighters fighting out of Australia/NZ and then compare the population to that of the US or Brazil.
OP was talking about Australian MMA. Not Australian/NZ MMA (or Australasian [NZ definition]) as you were referencing.
Separate countries bro. Similar in many ways, but definitely different.

Nobody is mentioning the sheep shaggers.
Pot calling kettle black.
Why else did that Australian invent velcro gloves, gumboots (rubber boots) and cliff edges for them all to go on to be national best sellers to this day. Especially in Queensland and Victoria.

Pot calling kettle black.
Why else did that Australian invent velcro gloves, gumboots (rubber boots) and cliff edges for them all to go on to be national best sellers to this day. Especially in Queensland and Victoria.

[<diva2]

We always do wel in sports for our small population size because of our weather, culture and $$. Half the population has one immigrant parents and the country has fantastic weather for sports, and we got great facilities. It’s why we do so well in the olympics also.

it’s such a shame the media refuse to give and shine to our world champions.MMA would explode if they start covering it properly on the news.

Volk is probably way bigger in USA than AUS, sad but true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back