How do YOU guys deadlift..

I'm not as crisp/fast when I do my max as opposed to 180 lbs. I've noticed that my lat ached after the workout (holding the bar with mix-grip), but I should probably start utilizing a belt as well - is this an indicator that my back is not arched enough? What accessory exercise do you do for glutes/hamstrings?

Na, it's perfectly normal to be slower with maxes. Lats aching after a deadlift session/maxing is also a good sign.

My PR is 355lb at 170lb. Haven't done a serious deadlift training attempt in close to a year now, largely because I hate hex-plates. They really mess with my preferred form- I like to roll the bar and build tension in the hips as the bar rolls towards me.

The weird thing is that I set that PR with hex-plates. Shortly afterwards I had struggles deadlifting. No idea what happened.

Last edited:
Snatch grip is my preferred pulling style. I don't think I've tried over 405, but I've never come close to failing at that weight either. My best conventional pull is 500 lbs. It's not something I put much emphasis on anymore. When I do deadlift conventional, it's chin tucked, back flat, hips locked into place.

6'0" 220 lbs

Na, it's perfectly normal to be slower with maxes. Lats aching after a deadlift session/maxing is also a good sign.

My PR is 355lb at 170lb. Haven't done a serious deadlift training attempt in close to a year now, largely because I hate hex-plates. They really mess with my preferred form- I like to roll the bar and build tension in the hips as the bar rolls towards me.

The weird thing is that I set that PR with hex-plates. Shortly afterwards I had struggles deadlifting. No idea what happened.

Good to know : )

So far, most of you can lift twice your BW at the least, that's superb. Haven't trained with hex plates at all, what benefits do they bring?

:) You should re-ignite that spark to reach 400; half way there.
I feel like I've hit plateau since I've been doing this set for a while now. The culprit is most likely my lower back, not giving hyperextensions enough love.

Hex plates bring no benefit. Just an example of some dipshit trying to reinvent something that's perfectly fine.

Hex plates bring no benefit. Just an example of some dipshit trying to reinvent something that's perfectly fine.

I despise the man who created hex plates. I want to give him an Indian burn and I can Indian burn with the best of them, I'm 7% Apache.

Snatch grip is my preferred pulling style. I don't think I've tried over 405, but I've never come close to failing at that weight either. My best conventional pull is 500 lbs. It's not something I put much emphasis on anymore. When I do deadlift conventional, it's chin tucked, back flat, hips locked into place.

6'0" 220 lbs

Those are strong numbers. What do you get out of the snatch grip? Do your lats work more in that stance? Or simply preference?

Why exactly does it suit you better? I'm interested to know since I might switch it up.

That's a great personal best. Are you working your way up again, or did you decide to stay in that range? That's pretty close to passing the 500 lbs mark.

It just does. I found that I could pull more, and when I was pulling sumo my squat started to shoot up quicker as well.

It's lower at the moment because I'm smaller and weaker. It's as simple as that. Unfortunately, Thai boxing isn't the best thing for developing maximal strength. The level of strength I currently have is pretty adequate for fighting anyone in my weight class, so I aim to maintain or slowly improve it again. When I'm done fighting, or when I take a break, I'd like to focus on strength development again.

So far, most of you can lift twice your BW at the least, that's superb.

Most people who put some effort into training should be able to deadlift 2x their bw within a year of training. If grip is an issue, just use chalk. Most people struggle because of grip moreso than anything else afaik.

Haven't trained with hex plates at all, what benefits do they bring?

None. Fuck whoever invented the hex-plate. Asshole clearly didn't take into account Oly lifting and deadlift technique

:) You should re-ignite that spark to reach 400; half way there.

My goal is a 3xbw deadlift, or simply speaking 500lb+. But I have no intentions of going for it until I finally move to a place where I have proper plates.

I'm fairly certain I can deadlift 405lb if I just had proper plates right now. I did the 355lb when I barely squatted 225lb for triples. Now I can do that for 10 reps and have increased my squat max by a good 50-60lb. A 405lb deadlift should definitely be within my reach.

It just does. I found that I could pull more, and when I was pulling sumo my squat started to shoot up quicker as well.

It's lower at the moment because I'm smaller and weaker. It's as simple as that. Unfortunately, Thai boxing isn't the best thing for developing maximal strength. The level of strength I currently have is pretty adequate for fighting anyone in my weight class, so I aim to maintain or slowly improve it again. When I'm done fighting, or when I take a break, I'd like to focus on strength development again.

Gotcha. I should give it a shot, but since you're doing Muay Thai your legs and hip flexibility must be quite high; mine on the other hand not so much.

Good luck with those fights. :)

Most people who put some effort into training should be able to deadlift 2x their bw within a year of training. If grip is an issue, just use chalk. Most people struggle because of grip moreso than anything else afaik.

Yeah, hope I can get there within 6-7 months. I'm not feeling my grip being an issue thus far, but then again I have improvements to do elsewhere. I'll probably go with chalk as well, haven't heard much praise about straps.

None. Fuck whoever invented the hex-plate. Asshole clearly didn't take into account Oly lifting and deadlift technique

:D

My goal is a 3xbw deadlift, or simply speaking 500lb+. But I have no intentions of going for it until I finally move to a place where I have proper plates.

I'm fairly certain I can deadlift 405lb if I just had proper plates right now. I did the 355lb when I barely squatted 225lb for triples. Now I can do that for 10 reps and have increased my squat max by a good 50-60lb. A 405lb deadlift should definitely be within my reach.

3x BW would be massive. I'll need to take baby steps to 300, 350, 400 first.
But if you didn't try your max in a long while, and have improved your squat significantly, yea you'd pull it off.

Those are strong numbers. What do you get out of the snatch grip? Do your lats work more in that stance? Or simply preference?

It's preference, but I have my reasons.

1. I snatch.
2. It allows for the greatest ROM. I squat deep, I bench narrow grip, and I deadlift snatch grip. My goal is carryover into the Olympic lifts, so I deadlift in a style that I feel has the greatest carryover, which is the one with the greatest ROM. Maybe I'm full of shit and they would just cancel out if I put more weight on the bar and did conventionals. I don't think that's the case, but I never rule out the possibility that I'm wrong.
3. There's less of a propensity to cheat. It's pretty tough to cheat a snatch grip deadlift. You can't really round over.
4. It hits the upper back a little harder than the others, so sometimes I just do the snatch grip DLs and omit bent over rows. A strong upper back lessens the chance of rounding over in the clean/front squat.

On top of that, I've read an article or two that sold me on it. I also deadlift in my Oly shoes. Weight on the bar isn't my primary concern. Strength and carryover are what I'm looking for. I still say they're the best deadlift, unless your goal is to compete in powerlifting.

It's preference, but I have my reasons.

1. I snatch.
2. It allows for the greatest ROM. I squat deep, I bench narrow grip, and I deadlift snatch grip. My goal is carryover into the Olympic lifts, so I deadlift in a style that I feel has the greatest carryover, which is the one with the greatest ROM. Maybe I'm full of shit and they would just cancel out if I put more weight on the bar and did conventionals. I don't think that's the case, but I never rule out the possibility that I'm wrong.
3. There's less of a propensity to cheat. It's pretty tough to cheat a snatch grip deadlift. You can't really round over.
4. It hits the upper back a little harder than the others, so sometimes I just do the snatch grip DLs and omit bent over rows. A strong upper back lessens the chance of rounding over in the clean/front squat.

On top of that, I've read an article or two that sold me on it. I also deadlift in my Oly shoes. Weight on the bar isn't my primary concern. Strength and carryover are what I'm looking for. I still say they're the best deadlift, unless your goal is to compete in powerlifting.

Excellent arguments in conjunction with how you squat. It does bolster your upper body more indeed. And thereby also keeping you flat under heavy pressure.

Also explains why you can't put as much on the bar as with the conventional deadlift.

Refreshing insight. I love that it's so technical with these lifts; damn is there things to learn.

Yeah, hope I can get there within 6-7 months. I'm not feeling my grip being an issue thus far, but then again I have improvements to do elsewhere. I'll probably go with chalk as well, haven't heard much praise about straps.

There's nothing really wrong with straps. I personally have no idea how to use them and so don't. Chalk is just much easier to apply and use.

Body weight: 75kg
Height: 175cm
MAX lifted (4 reps): can't remember
MAX lifted (1 rep): 190kg. this was almost a year ago and i haven't lifted consistently since last april. recently i have done 170x2.

There's nothing really wrong with straps. I personally have no idea how to use them and so don't. Chalk is just much easier to apply and use.

I don't either. Agreed.

I'm starting with them after winter break. I did test them a month ago and got a comfortable 100 at 75, then decided it would probably be a bad idea to keep pushing singles. Anyway, I'm looking forward to bringing it up to a respectable number in 2015.

Body weight: 75kg
Height: 175cm
MAX lifted (4 reps): can't remember
MAX lifted (1 rep): 190kg. this was almost a year ago and i haven't lifted consistently since last april. recently i have done 170x2.

Well done. That's a stellar record. Should work that up to 200 kg. :)

I'm starting with them after winter break. I did test them a month ago and got a comfortable 100 at 75, then decided it would probably be a bad idea to keep pushing singles. Anyway, I'm looking forward to bringing it up to a respectable number in 2015.

We're even in that respect. I'd be content to reach a 4-rep set of 2x BW till autumn. That would definitely boost my confidence to push even more.

Last edited:
Body weight: 93kg
Height: 183cm
MAX lifted (4 reps): Dunno, 5RM is 180kg
MAX lifted (1 rep): 210kg

Although I literally missed 220 a hair from lockout due gripping incorrectly. I have a deload week sceduled next week, so I might give it a try again...

Body Weight: 89kg
Height: 188cm
Max lifted (4 reps): Probably around 140kg(315lbs)
Max lifted (1 rep): 160kg(360lbs)

I lift conventional and my goal is hitting 200kg. When I reach that, I am going for 225kg. Getting those numbers would amazing and would satisfy me a great deal. I am mainly using powerlifting as a tool for martial arts and I don't feel I need to be stronger than that.

Anyway, the journey is worth it. Getting stronger, learning about the body, getting more fit and improving overall wellbeing, who could ask for more?

Back