How do YOU guys deadlift..

What are the advantages of an olympic dedlift vs a conventional one? I have done both in the past without ever realizing that they had names. I just saw them both ways and tried both ways for a while.

I am not quite sure about your terminology.

What's an Olympic deadlift?

I forgot to answer the question...

I pulled 170kg (376lbs) back in December 2012, and I guess could have pulled a little more as I was PR testing and wasted a lot of energy on lighter attempts. I haven't trained the deadlift for more than a couple of months consecutively ever since. That's partly because of injuries and partly because of my lifestyle- I am not usually in one place for more than 3-5 weeks at a time and sometimes I might be in a plane 5-6 times in a month. So nowadays it is less than that.

I pull in the normal way: get tight, straighten your legs until the bar comes to the knees without your ass shooting up, then push your hips through. The only thing that is slightly different is that to setup I break at the knees and the hips, like an Oly lifter, not just at the hips. Once I am in position I then raise my hips to more or less as high as I can go without bending my back. I just like that as a starting position- tight, and my back is really straight.

I deadlifted 170kg using hook grip. Bodyweight is 95kg. Will be using mixed-grip for pr attempts as the weight is getting heavier.

Maybe he wanted to say clean pull or high clean pull.

What the PT at the beginning of the thread suggested, by the sounds of things, but Olympic deadlift is a term I learnt in this thread....

Regardless of names, what are the benefits between these two setups?

What I am guessing is conventional, with the hips high and the back almost parallel with the floor.
deadlift-posture.jpg

deadlift2.jpg

What I am guessing is olympic, with the hips much lower and the back more vertical as a result

deadliftformbad.jpg

olympic-pull.jpg

Now, I know that last picture is a joke one, but its just an exaggerated version of a deadlift set up I have seen often.

Wouldnt your ass automatically shoot up on the "olympic" set up before the actual lift starts? Some people deadlift like that.

Now I know absolutely nothing about olympic lifting. Maybe their asses dont shoot up. They are definitely not lifting their deadlift maxes though.

Back