How good was Blake "Blade" Lirette?

What kind of blade are talking about here? Like, a razor blade? Pocket knife? A 15th century German Kriegsmesser? Such details are important in assessing the capabilities of a fighter based on his nickname.

Yes, sometimes people call me Blake though because Blake and Blade are very similar names.

I think because the internet wasn't really that big back then people didn't really hear about other MMA artists except the ones in your local area. I looked at some of his videos again and I feel like most of the people he fought were poster boys, one even threw an illegal punch in one of his WKL fights and the ref never noticed.

His YouTube channel even got recommended to me and I saw that he went to Thailand to train, and he was in the movie iSPY. Overall, he just seems like a nice dude to train with and be around. I think he has a son too but I'm not sure.

Farid Dordar during the 2000s owned www.kickboxing.com and got Blake in to various commercials and ISPY with Eddie Murphy. Kickboxing.com was their social media since pre-social media, having a website was the IT thing to do. To that end, it was super hard to get .com domains. It was big business to get a .com and sell it for super high price. But now, no one gives a shit about websites.

Usually its good to have it for professional reason or to book appointments or to purchase/donate but aside from that, no one goes to a website for entertainment purposes. Everything is on social media now. I am trying to find Bad Blake as well, he did an interview, he looked so much like Blake Lirette as well.

The internet is big now and still nobody pays attention to regional Canadian Kickboxing...

Blake "Never Heard of Him" Lirette

Blake is no longer active as a fighter and so he missed the boat on that. If he was an active fighter in present time, he would get all kinds of sponsorships and he would have a giant following. No point now since he is not active and so no fan engagement.

What kind of blade are talking about here? Like, a razor blade? Pocket knife? A 15th century German Kriegsmesser? Such details are important in assessing the capabilities of a fighter based on his nickname.

His signature move was called "The Switchblade" and he KO'd tons of people with it.

If he was an active fighter in present time, he would get all kinds of sponsorships and he would have a giant following.
There are like a few Kickboxers that have a giant following currently. In the entire sport.

There are plenty of Kickboxers from the 90's that still to this day have a giant following.

Bazooka Joe and Josh Jauncey are more skilled than this guy and they don't have a giant following. Granted, I don't believe any woman has named her son "Bazooka" out of admiration.
His signature move was called "The Switchblade" and he KO'd tons of people with it.
LOL!

So what is the move?

Last edited:
There are like a few Kickboxers that have a giant following currently. In the entire sport.

There are plenty of Kickboxers from the 90's that still to this day have a giant following.

Bazooka Joe and Josh Jauncey are more skilled than this guy and they don't have a giant following. Granted, I don't believe any woman has named her son "Bazooka" out of admiration.

LOL!

So what is the move?
The guy was clearly a solid fighter, but the sport is littered with guys on par with k-1 champions who no one ever heard of. It a reality of our sport, with a few exceptions, the fan base are themselves either fighters or are practitioners.

I remember a couple of years back when my coach was the target of a “beef” with a “rival” school. Several guys from my gym were discussing this with me after a tournament. I says, “look honestly who gives a shit?”. Everyone asked me what I meant so I elaborated, “Hey on a personal level I love this sport, but it’s right up there with ping pong ball. I have to go through a lengthy explanation when ever someone asks me what I do. They tend to be tangentially interested, but they aren’t about to drop money on tickets to see me fight. So yeah the sport and this pissing contest don’t really mean a damn thing.”

LOL!

So what is the move?

True but those guys had the American or Japanese media behind them. Blake had to self promote most of the time or had Master Farid help out to get his name out. I feel that the lack of kickboxing scene in Canada put an end to Blakes fame. If he had national media on top of local support, he would take that momentum to his social media.

Also his signature move is:

Web capture_28-2-2022_202033_web.archive.org.jpeg

Web capture_28-2-2022_202033_web.archive.org.jpeg
The guy was clearly a solid fighter, but the sport is littered with guys on par with k-1 champions who no one ever heard of. It a reality of our sport, with a few exceptions, the fan base are themselves either fighters or are practitioners.

I remember a couple of years back when my coach was the target of a “beef” with a “rival” school. Several guys from my gym were discussing this with me after a tournament. I says, “look honestly who gives a shit?”. Everyone asked me what I meant so I elaborated, “Hey on a personal level I love this sport, but it’s right up there with ping pong ball. I have to go through a lengthy explanation when ever someone asks me what I do. They tend to be tangentially interested, but they aren’t about to drop money on tickets to see me fight. So yeah the sport and this pissing contest don’t really mean a damn thing.”

But there is MMA to apply kickboxing skills. Or you could pick up boxing footwork and do some boxing fights. Kickboxing is a style but it is also a sport as much. I mean technically speaking, kickboxing in western sense is karate mixed with boxing. You should fight in karate and boxing to build your brand. Common man!

Blake is no longer active as a fighter and so he missed the boat on that. If he was an active fighter in present time, he would get all kinds of sponsorships and he would have a giant following.

If you honestly believe that you don't know much about kickboxing.

Back