How good was Fedor really? Was he truly elite?

I don't care how "padded" your record is. To go 10 years undefeated at Heavyweight is something that will never be accomplished again. On any given night, someone could fluke KO you with that kind of power and it never happened. There were some close calls but he always pulled it out.

I don't buy the whole padded record crap. It was a different time and PRIDE was a mix of pro-wrestling and MMA with how they booked fights. He still fought the best of his era but they sprinkled freak show fights in that people wanted to see. You can't blame him for that unless he lost the fights which he didn't.

It sounds like me, OP thinks that only UFC counts and doesn't understand that PRIDE was at one time bigger than the UFC and had the best fighters in the world. It's recency bias.

Last edited:
How good was Fedor?

I have a hard time genuinely believing that Fedor is truly elite and up there with goats such as

GSP
Anderson
MM
Jones
DC

Fedors record was too padded he fought in such a different weak era and when Fedor came up against semi modern MMA fighters he got beaten badly and could not hang

Some say that he could not hang because of his age. I do not believe this one bit. The real issue was he came up against modern MMA fighters. Isn't is such a coincidence he only started to lose once he faced true elite HWs and all of a sudden he was "out of his prime."

Anderson wrecked Hendo, Fedor a HW got wrecked by Hendo.

Werdum stopped Fedor

And I believe prime Fedor would lose to

Poatan
Anderson
Cain
DC
Aspinal
Gane
Nganu
Black Beast
Jones
Overseen

Fedor has such a padded record and had huge holes in his game

Fedor had poor Boxing, poor fight IQ, poor bottom game. Jones would take him down and elbow him to oblivion.

Fedor was a good fighter but should not be compared to the true elite.

Fedor's myth is more folk lore and myth. His best wins are Cro cop and Nog. Cro cop and nog are good but have glaring holes in their game.
look at his longevity too instead of just picking holes at his weak points. he kills everyone that you think beats him too in his prime.

you can pick at any GOATs low points to paint the narrative that they ain't all that. gsp got koed by 5'6 matt serra, silva got koed by weidman twice, jones and steroids, mighty mouse couldn't achieve belt status beyond 125lbs in the ufc.

also, are you gonna neglect that Fedor skull fucked chael, rampage, mir, arlovski, hunt and coleman all in one fucking round? all of those wins were after several matches and way past his prime against "modern" fighters....

Last edited:
I don't care how "padded" your record is. To go 10 years undefeated at Heavyweight is something that will never be accomplished again. On any given night, someone could fluke KO you with that kind of power and it never happened. There were some close calls but he always pulled it out.

I don't buy the whole padded record crap. It was a different time and PRIDE was a mix of pro-wrestling and MMA with how they booked fights. He still fought the best of his era but they sprinkled freak show fights in that people wanted to see. You can't blame him for that unless he lost the fights which he didn't.

It sounds like me, OP thinks that only UFC counts and doesn't require that PRIDE was at one time bigger than the UFC and had the best fighters in the world. It's recency bias.
fedor also merked a lotta of ufc stars in bellator. he made a mockery outta tim sylvia....

Yes weak as hell

All of these are old school many 1 dimensional fighters. Nog was a BJJ guy with serviceable striking, Randleman was a wrestler (rip)
Heath Herring is not elite

Cc is a good win but he is far from a modern well rounded HW. He is a striker
AA is a good win

Basically out of all those fighters there are no well rounded elite HWs, the most elite is maybe Timmeh. Jones, Anderson, DC, Poatan wreck everyone.

Taking down and subbing Hunt is hardly a great achr
do you seriously think poatan is well rounded? he's great at striking, sure.....but fedor is superior by a mile when it comes to everythingelse. also its beyond stupid to poke at fedor's losses and ignore poatan's loss to a 5'10 welterweight plumber.

look at his longevity too instead of just picking holes at his weak points. he kills everyone that you think beats him too in his prime.

you can pick at any GOATs low points to paint the narrative that they ain't all that. gsp got koed by 5'6 matt serra, silva got koed by weidman twice, jones and steroids, mighty mouse couldn't achieve belt status beyond 125lbs in the ufc.

also, are you gonna neglect that Fedor skull fucked chael, rampage, mir, arlovski, hunt and coleman all in one fucking round? all of those wins were after several matches and way past his prime against "modern" fighters....
Matt Serra is actually 5’3

do you seriously think poatan is well rounded? he's great at striking, sure.....but fedor is superior by a mile when it comes to everythingelse. also its beyond stupid to poke at fedor's losses and ignore poatan's loss to a 5'10 welterweight plumber.

According to TS’s oddball “logic” Stephan Struve is P4P all time GOAT.

How good was Fedor?

I have a hard time genuinely believing that Fedor is truly elite and up there with goats such as

GSP
Anderson
MM
Jones
DC

Fedors record was too padded he fought in such a different weak era and when Fedor came up against semi modern MMA fighters he got beaten badly and could not hang

Some say that he could not hang because of his age. I do not believe this one bit. The real issue was he came up against modern MMA fighters. Isn't is such a coincidence he only started to lose once he faced true elite HWs and all of a sudden he was "out of his prime."

Werdum stopped Fedor

Poatan
Anderson
Cain
DC
Aspinal
Gane
Nganu
Black Beast
Jones
Overseen

Fedor had poor Boxing, poor fight IQ, poor bottom game. Jones would take him down and elbow him to oblivion.

Fedor's myth is more folk lore and myth. His best wins are Cro cop and Nog. Cro cop and nog are good but have glaring holes in their game.

Prime Fedor would be the favorite against any man that’s ever lived

He was never that good and even Ronda could beat him

under the right circumstances.

How good was Fedor?

GSP
Anderson
MM
Jones
DC

Werdum stopped Fedor

Poatan
Anderson
Cain
DC
Aspinal
Gane
Nganu
Black Beast
Jones
Overseen

tenor (1).gif

lol@ a guy being basicslly undefeated in 25 fights not being rated

Did he though? 1-3 per year against quality plus a few cans?
So some years he fought 4-5 times with 3 being top quality?
2000 he had his first 5 fights. 2001 he had 5 fights.
2002 he had 3 and 2003 he had 5. 2004 he had 4.

During his first 5 years he fought 22 fights but that was the tournament era and most were cans. Big Nog x3, Randleman, Coleman & Arona that's 4 top level opponents. Babalu and Gary Goodridge aren't top opponents.

2005- 3 fights with 2 cans and one top level in Cro Cop
2006- 2 fights Coleman and Mark Hunt (is that 2 top level or was Hunt a can/ just a kickboxer)
2007- 2 fights MW Linland and Freakshow HMC
2008- 1 fight with Big Timmy
2009- Arlovski and Brett Rogers (is that 1 top 1 can)

10 fights and 5 years of is 10 year unbeaten streak did not include more then 1 fight with a "Top Level" HW per year. He is still pretty GOATy as a HW but Stipe with a 20-4 record has far more high level wins and lost only 4 times and has wins over all but the Struve loss. He would likely have avenged that one as well had Struve ever gotten near the level Stipe rose to after that fight.

IMO Stipe > Fedor at HW.
Lol what a 🤡

Fedor had 23 fights in his first 4 years. That's the same amount of fights Stipe has had in 14 years as a pro.

Stipes wins look good on paper but he never beat an all time great HW at their peak. His best wins are 39 year old Werdum who went 4-4 in his next 8 and retired. 40 year old post back surgery Cormier who retired immediately after, post Cain JDS who barely went .500 in his next 10 fights and a green Ngannou who lost to Derrick Lewis in his very next fight. Literally zero wins over an all time great HW in their prime.

Babalu was 19-2 when Fedor fought him and went on to fight for a title in the UFC. Just because he wasn't a HW doesn't mean he wasn't a top level opponent- esp since Fedor was in his first year as a fighter.Stipe was getting knocked out by the likes of Stefan Struve at a similar phase of his career.

Fedor beat Nog when Nog was in his 20s and considered to be the best HW on the planet. A guy who went on to be a UFC champion. A guy who went on to beat guys like Werdum, Barnett and Sergei in their 20s after losing to Fedor.

Fedor beat Arlovski when he was in his 20s and knocking people the fuck out. Arlvoski went on to go on a run in the UFC years after this. When Fedor beat AA, he was knocking out guys like Nelson and Rothwell who not even peak JDS could finish.

Also Fedors wins over guys like Schilt and Hunt were impressive. Easily as impressive as beating someone like Rozenstruik or Tuivasa. I'd argue even more impressive.

Only a Dana White Stan and UFC fanboy would pick Stipe over Fedor legacy wise or in a fight at their very peaks. Fedor would have knocked him out in the first 3 exchanges. Stipe is a slow starter would get boobopped fast by the GOAT.

Back