How Humans are designed to eat?

You guys are getting the living daylights trolled out of you.

Look, I guess I am struggling with these nutrition thoughts and have just been left confused. My real questions should be

Is there a way of eating that is optimal for healthy human beings?

That's entirely dependent on lifestyle. For active athletes and people who lift weights they are going to want more amino acids which are abundant in meat and dairy. Many people could probably get away with switching to an all plant based diet if they used supplements or made sure to eat raw vegies or at least go all the proper nutrients but why would they when simply eating all foods including meat is easier?

Is there any proof that we function better with quality animal products in our diets?

Have we evolved into a species that functions best on a various omnivore diet?

Why is it necessary to consume a large variety of different types of foods when some animals sustain and live long on only a few types of foods? Is this variety necessary?

Yes and no. It's entirely possible to function normally or even be an athlete on an entirely plant based diet but I think it takes more effort and requires more work especially to get all of the amino acids you need. Why would people want to do that when they can simply eat a wide variety of foods and a multivitamin and be pretty well set nutritionally?

^ great post thank you

we have canine teeth? did we develop these over time because of meat?

Does it makes since that we might have started off eating only plant materials and over time we needed meat for survial. Now the human species has gone
through times of eating plants, eating meats, eating everything, etc.. and now it is best to consume all the foods in moderation because we have adapted to everything?

Gertrude Baines, who lived to be the world’s oldest person on a steady diet of crispy bacon, fried chicken and ice cream, died Friday at a nursing home. She was 115. [3]

god damnit lol

touche' you made alot of excellent points. What I am looking for STILL though. is a reason why meat is optimal in our diets over plant proteins.

It's not necessarily. Neither is optimal. All foods can be broken down into basic nutrients. You could probably get the protiens you need from vegetables instead of meats but why would people do that when meats and dairy are abundant and taste good? The mojority of people aren't going to follow some strict diet plan they just need simple rules to follow which is why you always hear people say a wide variety of foods etc. If you want to do all the research to come up with some optimal plant based diet that gets you all the proteins and nutrients you need more power to you. I beleive you have to eat a lot of raw foods. That's all great it's another diet that is viable. It doesn't make it better or worse nutritionally it's just another viable alternative.

and What if a human found 3 foods he or she loved and had unlimited amounts of? (say one fruit one healthy green vegetables andone type of quality protein) Would he or she become sick or would they thrive without variety?

would that person not be as healthy as someone who consumed varieties of everything?

Are we talking hypotheticals or reality? Why don

Gertrude Baines, who lived to be the world’s oldest person on a steady diet of crispy bacon, fried chicken and ice cream, died Friday at a nursing home. She was 115. [3]

god damnit lol

n=1

Same factor applies for any study that implies a life of rice and vegetables is responsible for old age. Sure, Japanese people eat a lot of rice so the correlation is high compared to the rest of the world. Despite that, there's so much that we don't know at the moment, especially in regards to longevity of life.

and what about the seasons? Does it not make sense that the earth changes and the food that grows during these times are the foods that are meant for consumption. I am talking about for healthy humans with no diseases. (nothing to do with meat and dairy with this last question)

The problem with your logic about the seasons is that for humans to gain a strongly correlated benefit from eating produce that's in season, would require the seasons and which foods are available at what times to have been designed around human. This is obviously not the case. Plants evolved to survive in by blooming at certain times of the year and spreading their seed effectively with no regard's for humans nutritional needs. You are stuck on thinking that they were designed somehow with us in mind.

Plants do their own thing. Ancient humans had to adapt around them. Which meant moving around when no food was available and growing different kinds of food different times of year once agriculture developed. It had nothing to do with optimal nutrition, simply increasing the availability of any form of sustenance.

(Poorly worded, I hope my point still gets across)

The problem with your logic about the seasons is that for humans to gain a strongly correlated benefit from eating produce that's in season, would require the seasons and which foods are available at what times to have been designed around human. This is obviously not the case. Plants evolved to survive in by blooming at certain times of the year and spreading their seed effectively with no regard's for humans nutritional needs. You are stuck on thinking that they were designed somehow with us in mind.

Plants do their own thing. Ancient humans had to adapt around them. Which meant moving around when no food was available and growing different kinds of food different times of year once agriculture developed. It had nothing to do with optimal nutrition, simply increasing the availability of any form of sustenance.

(Poorly worded, I hope my point still gets across)

I hear you. That really resonated with me. made alot of sense

And that is the main advantage of agriculture. Since there was rarely enough food in one place to support humans for any length of time (with the exception of meat), the ability for us to increase how much food was available without moving allowed for more permanent settlements. Eventually, between growing food, modifying plants to suit our needs (both modifying genetically and through cooking), and turning the result into something that could be stored for a time, we could produce so much we didn't have to leave, which lead to other advancements, namely what we have today as civilization.

Okay. If i lived in England and the winter came.... as a nomadic human being.. I would travel to a different location in search of food

Where? You think anywhere within walking distance is any different? Wales, Scotland - they're even worse. You can't walk for hundred miles and suddenly find native carrots that are coming into season in this new location.

Nomadic tribes DID live in Britain and they did indeed move around with the seasons...but they ate a lot of meat! They followed nomadic animals around.

Name some of these nomadic vegetarian tribes that existed in NW Europe. You can't because there were none. Go back 10,000 years and we ate a lot of meat. We ate a lot of other stuff too but meat was a staple part of the diet.

Vegetarianism outside of some lucky tropical locations is a luxury of modern agriculture and globalised food industry. Ironically, this goes against your argument that eating according to some arbitrary elected point in human evolution because of course none of that existed then. You cannot argue that paleolithic eating was the pinnacle of health and for vegetariansm at the same time. They are mutually exclusive.

Carrots
Kale
Quinoa
Berries
Sweet Potatoes
Walnuts
Lemons

Quick estimation shows me that 100g walnuts = 15g protein (7 nuts = 28g, roughly 28 nuts = 100g), so I need about 150g of protein = 1000g of walnuts = 70 walnuts/day.

That's a lot of walnuts...

Also, you might not want to make a staple of your diet nuts. Not sure if you know, but lots of people are actually allergic to nuts. For instance my mother would die from this diet.

New page reminder: you're still all getting trolled.

Carrots
Kale
Quinoa
Berries
Sweet Potatoes
Walnuts
Lemons

Ok first eating the same foods every day would be extremely boring. Even the foods I love I get tired of if I eat them more than a few days in a row. Assuming you somehow hate variety though and love those foods so much you could actually eat the same thing every day.......

I don

Quick estimation shows me that 100g walnuts = 15g protein (7 nuts = 28g, roughly 28 nuts = 100g), so I need about 150g of protein = 1000g of walnuts = 70 walnuts/day.

That's a lot of walnuts...

Also, you might not want to make a staple of your diet nuts. Not sure if you know, but lots of people are actually allergic to nuts. For instance my mother would die from this diet.

I think the quinoa is supposed to be the primary staple of the diet.

New page reminder: you're still all getting trolled.

Probably but its an interesting thought experiment for me. I'll get bored soon. I've always wondered what the primary shortcomings of an exclusive plant based diet are and now I know :)

Yeah, somehow I missed that when i read it at first. Still, nuts kill :)

Probably but its an interesting thought experiment for me. I'll get bored soon. I've always wondered what the primary shortcomings of an exclusive plant based diet are and now I know :)

Vitamin A, vit B12, metabolically relevant Iron (green leafy vegetables like spinach may have a fair amount of Iron but it is of questionable metabolic virtue when bound to oxalic acid as ferrous oxalate and the majority is excreted through stool without being assimilated).

If humans are "designed" to be vegan its a pretty shitty design, because I see tons of vegans getting healthier and losing their symptoms of malnutrition and anemia once they add 2 eggs a day to their already plant rich diet.

We're fucking omnivores.

And knowing is half the battle.

Ok first eating the same foods every day would be extremely boring. Even the foods I love I get tired of if I eat them more than a few days in a row. Assuming you somehow hate variety though and love those foods so much you could actually eat the same thing every day.......

I don

Back