Relationship How important is therapy in your life and relationships?

William Munny

My Pronouns: Fuck/You
Banned
Reaction score
I understand that most of us here at Sherdog are perfectly sane, 100 percent emotionally healthy and do not need any help.

(Edit: you don't have to be "crazy" to see a therapist, and others seek therapists for a host of different reasons)

for those that are not, and for those who are emotionally balanced, healthy etc,

Do you see a therapist? do you find them useful and or emotionally healthy for you?

do you believe therapy and Mental health is still heavily stigmatized, and that talking about "one's feelings" is still equated with being a "lesser man?"

does your partner see a therapist or has your partner ever suggested you to see a therapist?

what has been your general experience?

Last edited:
It’s exceptionally dependent on the therapist. There are many who are absolutely trash and don’t help people. There are many others that are very helpful.

I have family members who have good ones and they are definitely massively helpful

I just see a psychiatrist and take my meds like a good little psycho.

I had a therapist when I was 16 who was fucking amazing and changed my life. I still think about her. Every other therapist has been trash and basic though. “Put a rubber band around your wrist” and “inhale and exhale” bitch fuck off. I scream and carve my skin and you want me to do breathing exercises? If I were that well adjusted I wouldn’t be here to start with.

I understand that most of us here at Sherdog are perfectly sane, 100 percent emotionally healthy and do not need any help.
for those that are not,

Do you see a therapist? do you find them useful and or emotionally healthy for you?

do you believe therapy and Mental health is still heavily stigmatized, and that talking about "one's feelings" is still equated with being a "lesser man?"

does your partner see a therapist or has your partner ever suggested you to see a therapist?

what has been your general experience?

I've seen therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist in the past for my ongoing bouts with depression and anxiety.

I don't think it's how it was use to be like 10-15 years ago. From my observation you see numerous amount of commercials about getting your mental health checked out.

There is a lot of conversation about depression and anxiety nowadays compared to like 2005. It's a lot more open dialogue now. I think men specifically are less afraid to speak out if they have any issues with their mind.

The stigma is not as bad that's for sure.

My experience with the therapists and the others is somewhat ongoing process of understanding the human mind, specifically your own. It's good to brainstorm different things and try to find ways to help yourself lessen the burden of being depressed or having anxiety.

Try to figure out coping skills and just how to adapt when you are in these mental stages that can debilitate you at times.

what if your insurance covered it?

I wouldn’t go. I have a very low opinion of therapist based on the one buddy I had whose fiancé was a therapist. She wasn’t capable of dealing with her own problems. He has since killed himself and the friends and family are in solidarity it was dealing with her crazy ass for years that finally drove him to mental and financial ruin. Or we could talk about how the shrinks at the VA would rather medicate problems away than deal with the mess the Government have created through war and the way we treat our aging veterans in this country. Again not a fan

The only problem I have with this post is that it seemingly implies that therapists are for folks who are not sane or emotionally unhealthy, which sorta contributes to the stigma.

Therapy (mental health) like any other form of health can be for treatment, prevention, or maintenence.

The only problem I have with this post is that it seemingly implies that therapists are for folks who are not sane or emotionally unhealthy, which sorta contributes to the stigma.

Therapy (mental health) like any other form of health can be for treatment, prevention, or maintenence.

great point. I'll edit.

I refuse to see any therapist, they are duty bound to disclose any plans I may have to deliver serious life-threatening harm on society!

I realised a little while ago that I just needed to stop talking about it and get on with what I already knew I had to do........

Just live my life the way I want too.......

I refuse to see any therapist, they are duty bound to disclose any plans I may have to deliver serious life-threatening harm on society!

And yourself!! Don't forget!!!

Vodka, razor blades, hot bath and depressing music...... Maybe a candle and an iPad.......

I just see a psychiatrist and take my meds like a good little psycho.

I had a therapist when I was 16 who was fucking amazing and changed my life. I still think about her. Every other therapist has been trash and basic though. “Put a rubber band around your wrist” and “inhale and exhale” bitch fuck off. I scream and carve my skin and you want me to do breathing exercises? If I were that well adjusted I wouldn’t be here to start with.

I'm gonna put on my sherbro therapist hat.

You should not scream and carve into your skin. It is not the right thing to do.

I seen good ones and I seen bad ones.
A good one is great to have, a bad one, not so much

I went one time in college. I was feeling really down for a week, which is atypical for me. The therapist went into all this bullshit that was way off base. It turned out I was coming down with a bad case of Mononucleosis. That was the last time.

Honestly, I don't blame therapists. I have a hard time opening up to virtually anyone outside of my family and very close friends. I just illogically don't trust therapists, but fortunately have a very strong family / friends system. I believe there are many quacks and many good ones, people just have to find the gems.

A year of therapy pulled me out of a deep hole. I wish the old man would have spent some drinking money sending me when I was a kid.

I have never been to a therapist but I am absolutely open to the idea. If people need help, they should get help. No stigma.

I have close friends who have had therapists for long periods of time and they self-report that it was positive for them.

I imagine that it must be really really difficult to find the right therapist for your individual needs.

tony-soprano-gary-cooper.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back