How In The World Does "Super Saiyan" Brunson Beat The Gorilla Till???

Same way Woodley did, get him to the ground and exploit the fact that he's a striker and not a grappler.

I was honestly very surprised at the odds of this fight when I saw them. I think Till is overrated. Brunson win's via grappling. If Brunson keeps his head off the centre line, it's an easy win. I parlayed Daniel Rodriguez and Brunson for a nice potential payout. 1/2 way there :)

Brunson is always panic wrestling when fighting striker.

by being a better mma fighter. till has cleaner stand up and has a big frame. but imo derrick is gonna outwork him.

he dosnt need the takedown he just has to get till up against the fence for a half a round or more. after that they will slop it up and i got brunson via workrate/control time

Brunson is always panic wrestling when fighting striker.
Panic wrestling?
His last opponent is considered a skilled and fun striker.
Brunson took him down 6 times and landed more strikes and more significant strikes, and landed more strikes to the leg, and landed more strikes in teh clinch, and landed more strikes on teh ground, thought the head strikes they were equal.

That's not called panic anything... that's called unanimously beating your opponent in every aspect in mma, and being more well rounded and generally better mma fighter.

The fight before that was Shabazyan(don't care how you spell it)... Brunson literally landed tripple the amount of strikes on him... he didn't even need the 4 takedowns he successfully landed on him. He landed more strikes on the ground, from a distance, in the clinch, on the head, and on the leg. He embarassed and technically destroyed Shabazyan in his own game and more.

Give credit where it's due, don't be a hater.
Make Sherdog great for once!

On paper it is easy to see why Darren should be the favorite. First off, Brunson is nearly 38 years old. He is a fighter who does rely a bit on his superior athleticism but that window can close any time. In the past his reckless style has placed him on both sides of some highlight reel finishes. His power is always there but his chin is certainly questionable

On the other side, Till is potentially just entering his prime at about 29 years old. He is more polished on the feet, better kicker, better puncher. Usually he is better at managing distance. Great at taking angles. Speed advantage also goes to Till. I feel like Till's TDD has proven to be solid and that won't be an easy route of victory for Brunson at all. And although Brunson has been fighting much smarter and more patient, I feel like Till also may have the advantage in a slow paced, highly technical fight. At first I thought it was an easy pick, although obviously we have seen much bigger upsets.

With all that said, we also can safely assume that Brunson is the better wrestler and has even better takedown defense than Till. I think Brunson's side should keep the pressure and work a lot of leg kicks and body kicks. Brunson is not known as a kicker, but being as though Till will likely not go for or be able to take Brunson down, he can afford to be more reckless with them. Land them even if it is just for points so that Till can't hang back and play the distance. Don't chase with the hands, but try and let Till walk into some power shots and maybe force a reckless exchange out of Till. Obviously the TDD threat will always be present for Brunson, so Till maybe hesitant to clinch.

Now I'm not so sure who to pick. I'll stick with Till but I could see paths for Brunson that I didn't notice before. But I don't know shit. What do you guys think?

Ive been hearing hype of Darren till for years..
And every single fight ive seen of him he looks underwhelming...and frankly boring

Alot of brash talk beforehand...then just pitter patter in the fight ..has he stopped anyone recently?

His most exciting fights were ones he lost... ( Woodley and mas)...

Unless he some how shows something new hes pretty much been figured out at this point...

That said Brunson is extremely inconsistent...this opens the door for Till to win

On paper it is easy to see why Darren should be the favorite. First off, Brunson is nearly 38 years old. He is a fighter who does rely a bit on his superior athleticism but that window can close any time. In the past his reckless style has placed him on both sides of some highlight reel finishes. His power is always there but his chin is certainly questionable

On the other side, Till is potentially just entering his prime at about 29 years old. He is more polished on the feet, better kicker, better puncher. Usually he is better at managing distance. Great at taking angles. Speed advantage also goes to Till. I feel like Till's TDD has proven to be solid and that won't be an easy route of victory for Brunson at all. And although Brunson has been fighting much smarter and more patient, I feel like Till also may have the advantage in a slow paced, highly technical fight. At first I thought it was an easy pick, although obviously we have seen much bigger upsets.

With all that said, we also can safely assume that Brunson is the better wrestler and has even better takedown defense than Till. I think Brunson's side should keep the pressure and work a lot of leg kicks and body kicks. Brunson is not known as a kicker, but being as though Till will likely not go for or be able to take Brunson down, he can afford to be more reckless with them. Land them even if it is just for points so that Till can't hang back and play the distance. Don't chase with the hands, but try and let Till walk into some power shots and maybe force a reckless exchange out of Till. Obviously the TDD threat will always be present for Brunson, so Till maybe hesitant to clinch.

Now I'm not so sure who to pick. I'll stick with Till but I could see paths for Brunson that I didn't notice before. But I don't know shit. What do you guys think?
I totally agree with this assessment. I'm sad, because I'm a big Brunson fan, and I don't want to see him get brutally KO'd, but honestly that is the only way I see this going down. People underrate Till by a shit ton just because his record is spotty, but he is in my opinion the third best MW in the UFC (Obviously Yoel would be up there if he was still in the UFC).

Till TKO round 4 after Brunson gasses.

Only way that doesn't happen is if Brunson is very smart and sets up his takedowns properly and gets a finish within 2 rounds on the ground, which is possible but highly unlikely imo.

I want Brunson's run to continue dammit, I'll be praying for a KO on this weekend lol.

Till has good takedown defense, but it's not like, legendary right?

Brunson shoots for TDs, hits a third of them. Beats him up on the ground 3 out of 5 rounds.

Also, 2 of Till's loses came to heavy hitting shorter guys (Woodley before Woodley was broken, and Masvidal). Brunson definitely has power inside.

I'm usually writing off guys Brunson's age, but in this case, I think he's still got enough in the tank to press Till into the fence and hit his takedowns.

I think it's a winnable fight for Brunson but more by landing that big overhand than outgrappling Till.

Brunson no longer fights like a spastic running into fists. His last few wins with his new camp suggest a different, more patient fighter. Till should be able to control space enough to win, but I would not be surprised to see Brunson unveil a further elevation of his game.

As far as fighting at 185 pounds , this Till s biggest fight of career. I like the styles and Darren has some middle experience under his belt now. Brunson on a great streak but his last couple were " supposed" up and corners and won as underdog.

I dont see this fight going distance ( not even close) as I see Till catching Brunson on the button and following him down for the tko.

If Brunson should win , youd think this guy is in line for a t.s....... which is sad .

I totally agree with this assessment. I'm sad, because I'm a big Brunson fan, and I don't want to see him get brutally KO'd, but honestly that is the only way I see this going down. People underrate Till by a shit ton just because his record is spotty, but he is in my opinion the third best MW in the UFC (Obviously Yoel would be up there if he was still in the UFC).

Till TKO round 4 after Brunson gasses.

Only way that doesn't happen is if Brunson is very smart and sets up his takedowns properly and gets a finish within 2 rounds on the ground, which is possible but highly unlikely imo.

I want Brunson's run to continue dammit, I'll be praying for a KO on this weekend lol.

As far as fighting at 185 pounds , this Till s biggest fight of career. I like the styles and Darren has some middle experience under his belt now. Brunson on a great streak but his last couple were " supposed" up and corners and won as underdog.

I dont see this fight going distance ( not even close) as I see Till catching Brunson on the button and following him down for the tko.

If Brunson should win , youd think this guy is in line for a t.s....... which is sad .
Honestly I can not say that I am rooting for Brunson just because of what you said @Franklin U. It just seems like a bad look for the division, at least on the surface. Plus Darren Till potentially fighting Adesanya is a much bigger fight for the sport even if much of Till's hype is unwarranted atm.

It isn't even the fact that Derek is terrible or all if his past losses. It's more his most recent loss to the current champ in a one sided grudge match. BUT if Derek does win, I can't necessarily use that to knock the division overall. You have to give Brunson credit for finally putting it all together, especially his fight IQ, at this advanced age/stage of his career.

He always had the power, the athleticism, solid wrestling. And despite his much less than clean technique on the feet, he was getting solid results and performances even before this recent resurgance. Till arguably wouldn't even be his biggest win.(Machida).

His style definitely deserves criticism and I have been guilty of downplaying him but his career might be a bit underrated.

Last edited:
Till talks a huge game but isnt a great fighter - i think Brunson gets the win.

Brunson can definitely win.
By knockout.
I can't see wrestlehump here.

Honestly I can not say that I am rooting for Brunson just because of what you said @Franklin U. It just seems like a bad look for the division, at least on the surface. Plus Darren Till potentially fighting Adesanya is a much bigger fight for the sport even if much of Till's hype is unwarranted atm.

It isn't even the fact that Derek is terrible or all if his past losses. It's more his most recent loss to the current champ in a one sided grudge match. BUT if Derek does win, I can't necessarily use that to knock the division overall. You have to give Brunson credit for finally putting it all together, especially his fight IQ, at this advanced age/stage of his career.

He always had the power, the athleticism, solid wrestling. And despite his much less than clean technique on the feet, he was getting solid results and performances even before this recent resurgance. Till arguably wouldn't even be his biggest win.(Machida).

His style definitely deserves criticism and I have been guilty of downplaying him but his career might be a bit underrated.
I can just simplify this way. Brunson is probably just outside his prime and yes- hes on a streak - but I just cant get past the fact that his past 2 wins were rondas boy and Holland. Till maybe 1-3 but I see a fighter further growing into the 185 division, in his prime and I love this fight , stylistically, for Till.
I dont see Derek taking Till down....and keeping him there. I think this fight will end on the feet ....and sooner than later. Itll be a much needed win and statement for Darren.

This just my opinion. I understand why Till is the -185 betting favorite as opposed to Brunson playing underdog role to " up and comers " who really hadnt done much leading up to those fights.

Darren doesn't have the size and range problems that Gastelum will continue to have in remaining at 185.

Till's biggest fight of career - he beats Derek and he takes brunny's #5 spot in a very underwhelming division.We all know who Dana &co. rooting for - lol , my only concern.

I think Darren finally ready to make some noise at 185.

I can just simplify this way. Brunson is probably just outside his prime and yes- hes on a streak - but I just cant get past the fact that his past 2 wins were rondas boy and Holland. Till maybe 1-3 but I see a fighter further growing into the 185 division, in his prime and I love this fight , stylistically, for Till.
I dont see Derek taking Till down....and keeping him there. I think this fight will end on the feet ....and sooner than later. Itll be a much needed win and statement for Darren.

This just my opinion. I understand why Till is the -185 betting favorite as opposed to Brunson playing underdog role to " up and comers " who really hadnt done much leading up to those fights.

Darren doesn't have the size and range problems that Gastelum will continue to have in remaining at 185.

Till's biggest fight of career - he beats Derek and he takes brunny's #5 spot in a very underwhelming division.We all know who Dana &co. rooting for - lol , my only concern.

I think Darren finally ready to make some noise at 185.
You know what, the more that I think about it, and honestly I have to many othee things to do than to be thinking and posting about MMA... But the more that I think about it, Till has ALL the necessary tools to make this a one sided fight compared to what an aging Brunson brings.

This will be an extremely bad look for Till to lose this. Also from a better's standpoint, I think the odds are very good to bet him. But then again, I have personally never bet on sports.

Back