How long before sparring again?

350 lbs fist

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I was in an MMA fight 4 weeks ago and got rocked real bad several times although not KO'd.

But I probably had a concussion and was dazed for at least a week, maybe a week and a half afterwards.

I still think I feel the after effects a bit and I'm real wary of going back to sparring with strikes.

What are your personal preferences for time out after such an event and what do you think is the minimum time required to stay out of striking sparring?

Been there and got nothing but rolling eyes and getting told to take off from training for at least 2 weeks.

Thinking of staying out of striking sparring until after Christmas now.

Heh. Well, I blocked most of his punches but even taking them in my guard at SHW rocks your world quite a bit.

My footwork was even more atrocious than usual though so that can be rectified quite a bit.

I'll leave off striking sparring until January methinks. My brain is what I make my living from so destroying it completely I'll leave to the pro guys. :)

give it a couple more weeks i say, better to be safe. If you're still not feeling 100% then it's not going to help you to cop any more punishment.

If you weren't knocked unconscious, didn't lose memory and didn't have cognitive problems then you could have returned to sparring the very next day. Sounds more like paranoia to me.

^^Huh?

I had symptoms for at least a week and a half.

And from the beating I got I quite possibly sustained more than one concussion. We went 2x5 and for 7 of those minutes I was his heavy bag. :)

I'll chill until New Year's.

Go to a sports doctor, get yourself checked out by someone that won't roll their eyes at you.

It seems every time you go to a doc to get checked the doc just recommends quit the sport its not good for you, can cause serious harm.

^^Huh?

I had symptoms for at least a week and a half.

And from the beating I got I quite possibly sustained more than one concussion. We went 2x5 and for 7 of those minutes I was his heavy bag. :)

I'll chill until New Year's.

Well you didn't say you had symptoms, you just said you felt dazed for a week and a half which Im not even sure what that means.

Its like you said this is just your hobby, i assume you don't plan on competing so just spar when you feel back up to it.

I was just listing the response like that for people who compete that are genuinely interested. If someone was competing for a fight, I would have told them to go back to sparring the next day based on what you put in the OP. However if you were experiencing vomiting, nausea, headaches, blurry vision or dizziness then I'd advise you to see a doctor for a CT.

If you're doctors were rolling there eyes at you, then I think this is because they genuinely found you asymptomatic. If they were at all concerned they would have done a CT. Are your pupils dilated? Is one more dilated then the other? Are you having cognitive issues such as difficulty thinking, confusion, and memory loss?

Its just my opinion that you sound paranoid. Trust me though thats not a diss or anything, I used to get paranoid after every sparring session too I just got used to it.

By the way I should note, Im not a doctor and if you are seriously concerned you should go get advice from one who will actually take the time to talk to you. I don't want to get sued up in here haha.

It seems every time you go to a doc to get checked the doc just recommends quit the sport its not good for you, can cause serious harm.

Pretty much. No legitimate doctor will ever endorse blunt force trauma to the head.

To the OP: don't spar again until you're feeling better. Healing takes time.

Had light impacts from just doing some drills today and didn't feel good.

I might be just a pussy but I'm keeping to mitt work and grappling until New Year's. :)

As you said just work some technique stuff and don't sparr till you feel good.

Also try some Fish Oil (more DHA than EPA), makes me feel like fully heaps smart and stuff. I know Carwin takes Brahmi just to keep the brain working well. Might be worth a look.

Back