How many languages does Francis Ngannou speak?

They have countless languages and dialects in Cameroon. In his hometown, the dialect name is Ghomala.
I'd imagine he wouldn't be lost on the next villages language though right? I read that each "town" basically has their own language. I'd have to assume they aren't THAT different from each other unless, say, it's a town on the other side of the country.

Am I reading that right? Ngemba is a blanket name for 6 languages?
One of the six Ngemba languages is also referred to individually as "Ngemba", and that's the one Francis speaks. That's my understanding anyway.

EDIT: I just spoke with a Cameroonian guy here in Toronto, and he told me, as Francis' tribe is Bamileke and as he comes from Batie, that his traditional language is likely something called "Ghomala".

Last edited:
French is the lingua franca of Cameroon, so he speaks French reasonably well, and is learning English. Plus his native language of Ngemba. So that's like 2 and a half more languages than most Sherdoggers speak

That's what I assumed. 3. Then I looked up Camaroon without digging deep enough obviously, and it said English and French were the main dialects. So that confused me.
The english speaking part of Cameroon is the southern region and somewhat isolated from the rest of the country. They want to break off and form their own country so Francis probably didn’t have much exposure to it at all.

Three plus a little sign language.

WFBoU1J.jpeg

7cdd8ef8-7935-43e5-bfad-56add1ea6b74.jpeg

giphy.gif

French is the lingua franca of Cameroon, so he speaks French reasonably well, and is learning English. Plus his native language of Ngemba. So that's like 2 and a half more languages than most Sherdoggers speak
As a French guy, he speaks French very well. With a heavy accent though, but very well.

Here you go Americans

main-qimg-87cbb857a48810d2f0ea110550aa3a58

I only say Americans because most of the world watches soccer/footy so they probably have a decent understanding since there is always a few star African players

('other' on the map is Ethiopia and they have their own official languages)

French and English are the official languages, two provinces were part of the British Cameroons and opted to join the French part rather than Nigeria. Ngannou's home province borders this Anglophone area, so he may well have picked up some English while growing up.

I'm not sure but i'm guessing what ever language they speak in Cameroon, French and then English.

Francis speaks the universal language of violence. Every one around the globe understands that

he also worked in one of Ken Dodds jam butty mines before he became a fighter

I tried a quick web search. I also checked his wiki and I didn't listen to JRE. Do any of you guys know?
I would say at least three. English, French and at least one indigenous language. French and English are the two official languages and most Cameroonians can speak one or the other or both. But there are estimated to be between 250 and 600 languages spoken in the country.

Here you go Americans

main-qimg-87cbb857a48810d2f0ea110550aa3a58

I only say Americans because most of the world watches soccer/footy so they probably have a decent understanding since there is always a few star African players

('other' on the map is Ethiopia and they have their own official languages)

Yeah cause Asians are well versed in what Africans speak.

He speaks bang and boom

Back