How many people here carry concealed weapons on a daily basis?

I carry a 9mm any time I have my son with me. If I'm by myself, then a lot of times I don't have it.

I own guns because I enjoy shooting plain and simple.

As stated the only gun I do carry is my Super Redhawk and that is only when I am on my property. There is wildlife that I do feel the need to protect myself from.

As far as have fear in my life. I'm not trying to come off as a bad ass but I am more afraid that I will hurt someone than someone hurting me and that is not a daily fear.

not really I guess i find it stupid that people are saying they're not scared and then saying but i/my family could get shot.

So you're not scared of getting shot?

if your not scared of getting shot then you don't need to carry...

it's flawed logic.
I don't carry because I am scared of getting shot, I carry(sometimes) for extra security from any type of threat that may or may not ever happen. I can understand that you guys don't feel the need for firearms where you live but why is it such a terrible thing for other people to carry?

Lol, no, I live in New York. I'd need a letter signed by the POTUS himself in order to get one of those coveted licenses.

I don't carry because I am scared of getting shot, I carry(sometimes) for extra security from any type of threat that may or may not ever happen. I can understand that you guys don't feel the need for firearms where you live but why is it such a terrible thing for other people to carry?

never said it was again you're infering somehing from my post that isn't there.

never said it was again you're infering somehing from my post that isn't there.
you said earlier jokingly that you were going to start carrying around an anti aircraft gun and drive around in a tank. I took that as you implying that guns are overkill and unnecessary.

This wasn't addressed to me but I thought I'd answer it. I, of course, lock my doors at night. There is always the possibility that someone can break into the house. It's unlikely, but possible. If I didn't have locks on my doors, maybe I would be afraid. But I do have locks so I don't have to worry. Similarly, if I didn't have seat belts in my car, I would be more afraid driving than I am having them.

So for gun carriers, you are afraid that someone, at some point, is going to try and hurt you or your family. Therefore having a gun makes you less afraid. It lessens your fear of being attacked. But I don't have that fear to begin with. I am not worried that someone is going to try and hurt me. Therefore, I don't need a gun.

There's no fundamental difference between locking your doors at night and carrying a firearm: both are related to fear, or preparation, or whatever you want to call it. It's all the same emotion. You and Pooh Bear are making an argument where you have no fundamental difference between gun owners, just one of extent--i.e., you're afraid so you lock your door at night, but you don't extend that to firearm ownership in public.

So to claim that a gun owner "lives in fear" and someone who locks their doors at night is not based on principle, only on extent. Weak argument. If someone carries a gun, they are fearful, but then so is someone who locks their doors, or takes any other sort of precautions against harm. They both live in fear.

Lol, no, I live in New York. I'd need a letter signed by the POTUS himself in order to get one of those coveted licenses.

And yet the gun crimes (and other violent crime as well) in NY is off the charts... explain the logic in disarming good people?

That Range Rover driver (or his wife) would have had a better experience had they had a gun.

I own guns because I enjoy shooting plain and simple.

I didn't give much thought to guns before shooting for my first time. Honestly, it's pretty thrilling and it's a fun and challenging, if expensive, pastime. Shooting helps you respect (not fear) them more, what they can do and how they need to be treated. I don't think I could ever hunt, but if it were more feasible for me to own a gun where I am, it would be something I would strongly consider. Just something for going to a range and shooting, because that's just fun.

florida permit holder. I carry either a glock 27 or kimber ultra tle.

Used to carry a glock 26 but had to switch to a snub nose .357. Those glocks are just to bulky for me to carry with my wardrobe and Florida weather, very uncomfortable.

I'll be the first one to admit to carrying in 'fear', I guess.

I am scared that the need to shoot comes up and I won't have the ability to do so. I'd hate to look back and say: "Man, my ____ (kid, wife, etc...) would possibly still be here if I had the ability to draw and shoot that _____ (animal, criminal, etc...)."

I didn't give much thought to guns before shooting for my first time. Honestly, it's pretty thrilling and it's a fun and challenging, if expensive, pastime. Shooting helps you respect (not fear) them more, what they can do and how they need to be treated. I don't think I could ever hunt, but if it were more feasible for me to own a gun where I am, it would be something I would strongly consider. Just something for going to a range and shooting, because that's just fun.

A ruger 10 22, a brick of ammo, some tin cans and a good back stop is all you need for hours of fun.

But then why don't Canada or the UK have the same level of gun crime? Our gun laws are much stricter than America's. It's what leads me to believe that strict laws aren't the driver of gun violence. I'm guessing it's a correlative effect, rather than causative.

Let me stop you there. I'm not going to do the leg work for you because I've had this argument too many times with non-Americans who think they know what's up but for obvious reasons haven't actually challenged their preconceived notions about gun control.

Go back 100 years or so and find crime statistics on countries like the US, UK, Australia, etc. I say that because at that period of time, all had pretty loose gun legislation. Then look at the murder rates. What you will notice is that the US was considerably more violent even when they were essentially at parity in terms of strictness of legislation. The conclusion I take from that is that regardless of access to firearms, murder rates will be lower in the UK, Australia, Japan, etc. than the US. You could sell firearms as easily as candy in those countries and the rate would probably still be lower than in the US. People won't turn into marauding lunatics at a significantly higher rate due to access.

Also, realize the state of Vermont has the least strict gun laws in the country and coincidentally (or not) the lowest gun homicide rates in the country. (They also have the highest or among the highest stabbings per capita, oddly enough.) People in Vermont can walk into a gun store, buy a handgun, buy bullets, load it, stick it under their shirt, and then go food shopping, with no paperwork filled out, and do it legally. And guess what? Even with that system in place, they very, very rarely kill each other. Why? Who knows? Has to be a complex phenomenon that involves a lot of moving parts, like culture, socioeconomics, etc.

I used to be anti-gun but over time, and after a lot of reading, I've changed my mind. I don't expect you to because you're not an American so this is all just academic to you; Canada already has stricter laws and it's much harder to repeal than to pass, so for you guys, the gun days are probably over for the foreseeable future.

Don't think I'd get a CCL, but I am interested in a handgun for some personal protection as well as some recreational fun.

Equus would be proud.

There's no fundamental difference between locking your doors at night and carrying a firearm: both are related to fear, or preparation, or whatever you want to call it. It's all the same emotion. You and Pooh Bear are making an argument where you have no fundamental difference between gun owners, just one of extent--i.e., you're afraid so you lock your door at night, but you don't extend that to firearm ownership in public.

So to claim that a gun owner "lives in fear" and someone who locks their doors at night is not based on principle, only on extent. Weak argument. If someone carries a gun, they are fearful, but then so is someone who locks their doors, or takes any other sort of precautions against harm. They both live in fear.

Of course but there are extents of fear, i don't think you can compare locking a door to carrying a lethal weapon.

It's simply situation dependant and is not meant as an affront to gun owners.

I feel safer unarmed knowing than nobody around is carrying a gun than I would carrying a gun and surrounded by armed people.

also, I already try to not carry the phone and the wallet unless necessary because the less load the more comfortable I am. so carrying a 1kg pistol would be a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Lots of good stuff

Just for clarity, I think we were agreeing (sort of). I am not saying that American's gun laws are what cause gun violence, nor am I saying that strict laws will always reduce gun crimes - hence my inclusion of the word "correlative". I am also not anti-gun. I am anti-me carrying a gun.

What I'm saying is that there are cultural and ideological differences regarding Canada and the US, and how we view guns. Guns are simply more accepted there than they are here (that is, the notion of concealed carry). Gun violence is way more common in the US than Canada. I don't expect anyone who carries a concealed weapon to read my posts, and then think "Oh wow, this guy's right, I guess I don't need to carry one any more!". I'm not challenging anyone's perceived needs. Just kind of musing on the differences between someone who does carry a concealed weapon and someone like myself, who feels no need or desire to do so.

Just for clarity, I think we were agreeing (sort of). I am not saying that American's gun laws are what cause gun violence, nor am I saying that strict laws will always reduce gun crimes - hence my inclusion of the word "correlative". I am also not anti-gun. I am anti-me carrying a gun.

What I'm saying is that there are cultural and ideological differences regarding Canada and the US, and how we view guns. Guns are simply more accepted there than they are here (that is, the notion of concealed carry). Gun violence is way more common in the US than Canada. I don't expect anyone who carries a concealed weapon to read my posts, and then think "Oh wow, this guy's right, I guess I don't need to carry one any more!". I'm not challenging anyone's perceived needs. Just kind of musing on the differences between someone who does carry a concealed weapon and someone like myself, who feels no need or desire to do so.

Cool, gotcha. I respect that.

star-trek-nodding.gif

I feel safer unarmed knowing than nobody around is carrying a gun than I would carrying a gun and surrounded by armed people.

also, I already try to not carry the phone and the wallet unless necessary because the less load the more comfortable I am. so carrying a 1kg pistol would be a pain in the ass.

Of course, you'll never know that so that's a completely imaginary situation.

Back