How much ammo should an avg homowner keep?

over 9000

applause.gif

Thats a nice sweeping statement, while we're at it all americans don't have passports, are religious fanatics, hate everyone who isnt white and christian, are obese, have a low IQ, dont know anything about the cultures of other countries, dont understand the benefits of national healthcare, failed to grasp the importance of climate change and managed to elect an idiot to presidency twice in a row.

I was actually involved in discussion but as I can see you've come out waving the hick banner i'll be on my way. Give my regards to the wife/cousin

And this unruly recklessness is why I love being an American :D

I'm not blaming Obama for the high prices of ammo. If anything I blame everyone for buying and hoarding huge amounts of ammunition at once. They're the reason prices are so high.

And there is only a slight shortage and price increase in copper and lead. But that doesn't justify the insane price for ammo. China hardly has an impact on the price as well.

China has everything to do with ammo prices. Due to large demands from China, they've double and sometimes quadrupled metal prices within the past 2-3 years. As more nations start to industrialize, the more demand there will be for basic metals.

The AnarchAngel: Why is ammo so expensive?
Dynamic Charting Tool | InvestmentMine

None.

Just keep a few combat knives, a good quality set of Japanese swords, a suit of armour, a bow and a few hundred arrows.

The arrows are reusable, but learn how to make them anyhow.

A few throwing axes wont go amiss either...

As I said before, enough to ensure you come out on top in case this happens.

my brother had a gun pointed to his head last year for his wallet, cellphone, ipod. since then he's bought a colt 1911 and a little glock 26

well well well, looky here, an appropriate thread for this noob's 1st post...

I recommend a minimum of 1000 rnds per rifle caliber and 500 per handgun caliber. I am personally most of the way towards my goal of a 2000 rnd stash of M193 5.56 (try finding that stuff cheap anytime within the past year) and 1000 rnds for each handgun caliber I own a pistol in (.380, 9mm, .45). Keep in mind this recommendation is for your zombie invasion/WWIII/armageddon stash and should not be used for target practice.

Once you get that stash built up, store it away with some dessicant bags and don't touch it until the proverbial S hits the F. Build up a separate stash for target/range ammo and replenish that as you use it. Also keep in mind if you shoot regularly like I do (about 100-300 rnds per week), you can burn through ammo pretty damn quick.

and good on you for taking the initiative to ensure you wont be a helpless victim some day.

1000+ rounds per gun. More for common calibers like 5.56, 9mm, 40s&w, etc. 500+ 12 gauge shotgun shells even if you don't own a shotgun. 10000-20000 22lr rounds even if you don't have one.

don't forget cleaning supplies and parts kits for all your guns too.

well well well, looky here, an appropriate thread for this noob's 1st post...

I recommend a minimum of 1000 rnds per rifle caliber and 500 per handgun caliber. I am personally most of the way towards my goal of a 2000 rnd stash of M193 5.56 (try finding that stuff cheap anytime within the past year) and 1000 rnds for each handgun caliber I own a pistol in (.380, 9mm, .45). Keep in mind this recommendation is for your zombie invasion/WWIII/armageddon stash and should not be used for target practice.

Once you get that stash built up, store it away with some dessicant bags and don't touch it until the proverbial S hits the F. Build up a separate stash for target/range ammo and replenish that as you use it. Also keep in mind if you shoot regularly like I do (about 100-300 rnds per week), you can burn through ammo pretty damn quick.

and good on you for taking the initiative to ensure you wont be a helpless victim some day.

1000 rounds ain't much for a rifle =\

In your opinion. I live in a nice suburb. But if the 'geddon cometh i want to be protected. 1000 rounds? 5000?

Every weapon should have a minimum of 2 loaded magazines, then use the one for one principle: for every can of non-perishable food item you have, you should have one bullet otherwise your not preparing for the 'geddon.

2 magazines should cover you for a shoot-out with your average armed thief that would try to shoot your dog, just make sure your talking to 911 before you blast the perp.

5k minimum imo :)
1k minimum for pistols

Indeed

THIS!

It used to be a lot cheaper to order in bulk but there is too much price gouging going on these days. I'm hoping the prices will come back down at some point.

THIS!

It used to be a lot cheaper to order in bulk but there is too much price gouging going on these days. I'm hoping the prices will come back down at some point.

i dont keep that much. ive found that alot of bulk ammo is corrosive. its a hard lesson considering that if you forget to clean afterward, you can cause alot of damage to your gun in very little time. plus i just dont have near the space needed to store that much unless its my .22.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back