How much do you spend on food each month?

Did you ever buy that boat you were talking about a while back?

Prolly get more use and pleasure from the grill?
Nah, I made friends with a guy with a small boat. I figured it would be cheaper to go out with him or charter one for a day.

Probably around two hundred bucks. I hardly go to the store anymore. On my lunch break me and the guys go to a restaurant that serves home cooked meals three times a week. On the weekends at home, I’ll usually go to my moms eat with the family. When I do go the the store, I’ll usually buy frozen meals that I’ll cook up in a wok, or oven.

We're 4/5 right now (my father in Law is currently staying with us), and we spend probably 400$ plus per week on food.

2 weeks ago I went to Costco and spent 330$. 2 days later my wife went to the local Save-On-Foods and spent another 200$, then 2 days after that she went to Costco again and spent another 240$.

Almost 800$ in like 5 days. Fuck me.

Food is our second highest expense a month after the mortgage.
Yeah it’s a killer , do y’all buy a lot of boxed stuff and other processed foods and “extras”

I’ve found the center is the most expensive part of a grocery store. Cut out all that crap, and get vegetables and meats and it’s way cheaper when it needs to be and healthier also.

Damn TS I have made gnocchi in such a long time. I am thinking university. Its a lot of work.

I think I spend about $150/w or $600/mth as a single person. Fresh wild seafood is not cheap and is a staple in my diet.
Fresh “wild” seafood is “free” for me, but if you add up the costs of the boat and fuel and tackle it’s way cheaper in the store <45>

Around $600 for 3 of us per month but we have a big garden and harvest a lot of vegetables and such- and we do that twice per year.

How have your tomatoes been doing this summer? My beefsteak ones set beautiful fruit the second week of June and they are now being harvested but every flower after that has dried up and dropped with these 95 degree days. All except my grape tomatoes which have been thriving somehow. And I'm using earthboxes too since I only get 10hr sun on my deck.

Yeah it’s a killer , do y’all buy a lot of boxed stuff and other processed foods and “extras”

I’ve found the center is the most expensive part of a grocery store. Cut out all that crap, and get vegetables and meats and it’s way cheaper when it needs to be and healthier also.

Try not to buy processed foods, but some do slip in there. We go through a lot of the staple foods: eggs milk cheese bread fruits vegetables and meat. Especially meat.

Doesn't help that we're on an island and most things need to be shipped here, jacking the cost up.

I spend probably 30 to 40 a day so probably 900 to 1200 a month. I eat a shit ton from lifting.

Couldn't put an exact number on it but it's my main expenditure. Can't help it, i'm a fuzzy eater and just want the best. Buy fresh, organic, delicatessen, exotic foods etc.

At the moment my work schedule allow me to cook my own food, which i prefer, but when i work a lot i often eat out 1-3 times a day.

But i'm super healthy, and when i compare with those of my peers who constantly spend vast amounts of money on medicine, therapies, weird health-monitoring items etc i think my extravagant food habits seem like a reasonable investment, in hindsight.

How have your tomatoes been doing this summer? My beefsteak ones set beautiful fruit the second week of June and they are now being harvested but every flower after that has dried up and dropped with these 95 degree days. All except my grape tomatoes which have been thriving somehow. And I'm using earthboxes too since I only get 10hr sun on my deck.

She has grape tomatoes which are thriving and I don't in now the other kind but the leaves are yellowing however the tomatoes look ok. More than half are "volunteers". They've grown from last year's plants on their own.

We've eaten a lot of beans and potatoes from the garden already this year. Lettuce, arugula, thyme, cilantro, cucumber, rosemary, She's got tons of things in there yet.

Family of 5, mostly vegetarian, which keeps the cost down somewhat. I do the grocery shopping and that's around $1k/month. But its prob more like $2k/month when you add in extras like my stupidly expensive "craft beer" habit, coffee/snacks at work, and the occasional family dinner at a restaurant.

Last edited:
... just want the best. Buy fresh, organic, delicatessen, exotic foods etc.
But i'm super healthy, and when i compare with those of my peers who constantly spend vast amounts of money on medicine, therapies, weird health-monitoring items etc i think my extravagant food habits seem like a reasonable investment, in hindsight.
That is a very good point I don't think many consider when looking at the higher cost of buying more expensive food and trying to be healthy.

I (touch wood) have enjoyed a super healthy life with no real health issues in my life so far. When I did gain some weight some years ago i started having back and other such issues where i was spending lots of money on massage therapy and Physio, but thankfully most of that got picked up thru my company benefits plan. At my peak I was going for about 8 massages a month at $100/ea and 2 physio sessions a month at $225. So that is $1250/mth in extra costs. I have not had to go to either in almost 2 years since cleaning up my diet, losing weight and starting yoga.

So when people say they cannot afford to eat the more expensive but healthier foods, it would be interesting to look at their costs in other areas that correlate to a poorer diet.

That is a very good point I don't think many consider when looking at the higher cost of buying more expensive food and trying to be healthy.

I (touch wood) have enjoyed a super healthy life with no real health issues in my life so far. When I did gain some weight some years ago i started having back and other such issues where i was spending lots of money on massage therapy and Physio, but thankfully most of that got picked up thru my company benefits plan. At my peak I was going for about 8 massages a month at $100/ea and 2 physio sessions a month at $225. So that is $1250/mth in extra costs. I have not had to go to either in almost 2 years since cleaning up my diet, losing weight and starting yoga.

So when people say they cannot afford to eat the more expensive but healthier foods, it would be interesting to look at their costs in other areas that correlate to a poorer diet.
Exactly.
It's amazing what people spend on fixing, or trying to fix, issues that could easily be prevented, and sorted, with better lifestyle choices - especially diet.
And some of those "fixes" are just money out the window, like useless food supplements or strange devices.
Given a choice between spending money on a box of supreme Pakistani honey mangoes or an electronic wristwatchthingy that measures steps divided by quality of bowel movement and comes up with recommended daily zink intake, i'm taking the box of mangoes any day of the week.

Good on you for getting your health back on track.

200-400 per week.. depends on what i'm buying.. we cook most of the time..

feeds 3 adults and a toddler and a baby

Pair the grill with a Sous Vide and take it up a notch.

Food costs vary greatly day to day or week to week. really depends on what I'm doing. Right now I've been spear fishing and catching my own food in the Carribean, so not spending a lot. I spend a lot more when I'm in a good city with quality restaurants and supermarkets. Can be anywhere from $300 a month to $3,000

I'm not sure, but you've inspired me to go get a bowl of spicy pork ramen ($10.85)

500$ groceries a month- Family of 4 at 125$ a week.

About 50 a week on Fast-food so another 200

About 100 on booze for the month.

So about 800 a month.

How in the fuck do you pull that off, $500.00 for a family of 4? Where do you live and are you getting free food from your local church or something? I have 3 boys and I wish we spent $500.00 a month

Back