How much sleep do you guy get (for those that are 40+)

Sweeptheleg7

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I’m just curious how many hours of sleep you guys get on average. I’m curious to see if more sleep equates to better recovery and less injuries.

I get about 6 hours and also do s&c and have a lot of nagging injuries and am getting injuries more often now. Do you notice your recovery improving as you increase your sleep? I should probably stretch and foam roll but everything is time and it’s hard finding time to fit everything in.

i wish i had an answer for you but i dont. I cram as much shit into the little spaces in my day as i can, and it's hard to do anything 'properly'. recovery and all that has always been a luxury, and usually only something i do if i'm so beat up i cant get on the mat in the first place. I know that's not the way to do things but it is what it is.

i have hip osteoarthritis and a bad back so sleeping is kind of hard at the best of times anyway.

Sleep is the most important factor man. If you don’t consistently sleep good then you just gotta take your training down a notch.

I still train hard on days I don’t sleep well, but that’s because I know I will be able to make it up the next day. If it’s two bad days in a row then I just gotta take it easy. But yeah I prioritize sleep if I wanna consistently train hard.

disclaimer: not 40+ though

I'm 43 and I sleep about 6 hours a night. I'd like to get more but I used to get really bad insomnia so I almost have to make sure I'm properly tired before I even try to go to bed.

I feel fine though. No nagging injuries. I do weightlifting 3 times a week and martial arts (currently kickboxing) once a week. I've been on that routine since I was 29 and I have more energy than a lot of people my age. I don;t have kids though so that's probably a factor.

I'm 39 on the cusp of 40 and I get 6-7. Get some naps in occasionally. Every now and then I'll get 8. Honestly I feel like that's fine for me.

52 and sleep like shit after a training session. The next day I'm so tired it's difficult to function most of the time. I didn't have this issue when i started in my 30's. If i don't train bjj for three or four days then i start to feel better, energy comes back, sleep etc.

52 and sleep like shit after a training session. The next day I'm so tired it's difficult to function most of the time. I didn't have this issue when i started in my 30's. If i don't train bjj for three or four days then i start to feel better, energy comes back, sleep etc.

yeah i'm the same, if i train at night i struggle to sleep.

i train at lunch time mostly, due to my schedule, it's a lot better on those days.

I’m just curious how many hours of sleep you guys get on average. I’m curious to see if more sleep equates to better recovery and less injuries.

I get about 6 hours and also do s&c and have a lot of nagging injuries and am getting injuries more often now. Do you notice your recovery improving as you increase your sleep? I should probably stretch and foam roll but everything is time and it’s hard finding time to fit everything in.
I am a big sleeper. 8-10 hours. I have more energy for sparring after good sleep.

I am 33 so maybe shouldnt post here but 6 hours is way too little for me to recover properly.
On 9 hours recover is unparreled, on 6 I feel old.

I'm 39 on the cusp of 40 and I get 6-7. Get some naps in occasionally. Every now and then I'll get 8. Honestly I feel like that's fine for me.

Same age and quite similar
Normally aim for 7-8 hours good sleep and sometimes I may go a little longer if I am off work and having a lazy day

49 and I try for 8 every night. 6 is minimum to get through the day but it's not sustainable. If I'm feeling really run down from training/work/life, I take a 1 hour nap in the afternoon if I have time.

If I'm dragging ass, I'll still go train that day but if I still feel like that for the next class, I'm skipping it. Training when I'm run down is when I post awkwardly and hyperextend a finger (which takes MONTHS to heal) or worse, incur a shoulder or rib injury and then you can't train properly at all for awhile. Your body will get the recovery it needs one way or another. You need proper eaty and sleepy if you do the trainy.

I’m 51. If I take the the 6 pm class I can get my regular 8 hours sleep. If I take the 7:30 probably not. I need that 8 hours, so the 7:30 is out.

I try to go to bed around the time my oldest does (9:30). I wake up at 6 AM. I'd say I'm normally passed out by 10, so 8+. The sacrifice is going to bed that early as we don't get much wind down or TV time. I basically can get an hour show in before bed.

38 and im lucky to get 5 hours between working nights, training, and a family that expects me to be on their time when im off

normally like once every two months ill have a day where i sleep for like 15 hours straight and catch up but thats super rare, up until maybe 36ish it was fine, the last couple years im getting random bullshit injuries that i never have before, could be aging could be lack of sleep probably both

Not enough.
I try to get 8 but rarely do. Probably 6-7 on average. But some nights it's only 3 or 4.

I've gotten insomnia randomly at times

I’m 44 and I try to get a 8hrs sleep. I choose not to roll or lift heavy later in the evening, that has made my sleep much better. I often foam roll and stretch, when others continue to roll after class. I also use sauna and icebaths regularly, try to get a massage now and then. You just need to accept that your body needs more time to recover, than it did when you were under 30, especially if you are a natural athlete.

I used train two times a day, when I was younger. One morning session, then 20-30 min nap around lunch time and an another training at the afternoon. I don’t know if my body could still do that, but there is no way my work/family life would stretch to that.

Injuries more often and prolonged are one sign of overtraining, and I would take that seriously. Add some recovery time and recovery habits, check your nutrition, check your bloodwork, see if there is something what you could improve (sleep hygiene etc.) to get more out of your time to recover between training sessions.

40. I get 6 hours a night plus a 30 minute nap in the afternoon everyday.

One of my favorite lines from Arnold:
We sleep six hours a day. I know there are some of you that say, “Wait a minute, I take more time to sleep.” I say, “Just sleep faster"

Last edited:
Back