How popular was prime Van Damme REALLY?

I see what you're saying. It's kind of like when someone's says a rank 15 fighter isn't elite. On one hand, he's the 15th best fighter in the world, how can he not be elite, but you don't really compare them to the rest of the world.

I usually compare them to their peers. 95%+ of the people that are not the top 1% are people that a huge majority wouldn't even recognise, or have seen in anything.

Speaking of what qualifies someone as elite, a poster just the other day mentioned in a thread right here in the Berry that Conor is not elite. I was like, WTF? Love or hate the guy, he's obviously an elite fighter.

If he's not elite then what does it take?

It's funny how fucking fickle the public always is.

It's like: We love you! We love you! We love you! . . . Ohhhhkay, now we're bored with you.

It's the weakest kind of love. These hoes ain't loyal.

I think he was in some major flops after Blade 2. And then there was the tax thing a few years later.

Speaking of what qualifies someone as elite, a poster just the other day mentioned in a thread right here in the Berry that Conor is not elite. I was like, WTF? Love or hate the guy, he's obviously an elite fighter.

If he's not elite then what does it take?

I think a lot of the time "Not elite" is code for "he hurts my butt".

I think he was in some major flops after Blade 2. And then there was the tax thing a few years later.

We see it with pretty much every actor though, even guys like Arnold and Sly.

Or take someone like Kevin Costner. He was very popular for a while and very much in the spotlight. But then, like always happens, the public just cooled on him. He has actually made some interesting movies in the past 10 years or so but no one is paying attention anymore.

I think a lot of the time "Not elite" is code for "he hurts my butt".

LOL

It's funny how fucking fickle the public always is.

It's like: We love you! We love you! We love you! . . . Ohhhhkay, now we're bored with you.

It's the weakest kind of love. These hoes ain't loyal.

It even happened to Sly. We talked about the Avenging Angelo / D-Tox career valley in another thread.

We see it with pretty much every actor though, even guys like Arnold and Sly.

Or take someone like Kevin Costner. He was very popular for a while and very much in the spotlight. But then, like always happens, the public just cooled on him. He has actually made some interesting movies in the past 10 years or so but no one is paying attention anymore.

LOL

True, though I think Snipes hitting his peak was around the time that Will Smith established himself as an A-list action star.

Van Damme became a legend from b movies where he was a martial artist.

John wayne became a legend from b movies where he was a cowboy.

Clint eastwood became a legend from b movie westerns.

It even happened to Sly. We talked about the Avenging Angelo / D-Tox career valley in another thread.

It seems to be unavoidable. Has there ever been any entertainer of any kind who was able to sustain their popularity all the way through their career?

Even if you continue to produce quality work, people will get bored and start looking for the next new thing.

No one gives a shit about the Rolling Stones' contemporary music. They just want to hear the hits from yesteryear.

It's kind of depressing, really.

I never would've thought this was true, but Seagal beat Van Damme by a cool $50 million when comparing each actor's highest grossing movie.

Why would this be surprising to anyone on any level?

It seems to be unavoidable. Has there ever been any entertainer of any kind who was able to sustain their popularity all the way through their career?

Even if you continue to produce quality work, people will get bored and start looking for the next new thing.

No one gives a shit about the Rolling Stones' contemporary music. They just want to hear the hits from yesteryear.

Interesting question. Has any of the films Tom cruise was the lead in flopped? Had a quick look through his filmography and all the ones I checked had been at least a small success.

tom cruise

f74dacae031e4860fbe317fcd6ebb7d8--van-damme-claude.jpg

<31>

y'all should trust women more cause that way they wont cheat

Stallone's a strange case because it seemed like he'd do a shitty film then a good film, like Judge Dredd then two years later is in Copland, very underrated performance from him imo.

Interesting question. Has any of the films Tom cruise was the lead in flopped? Had a quick look through his filmography and all the ones I checked had been at least a small success.

He could perhaps be considered a co-lead in Rock of Ages and it did very poorly. That's a shame too, because it's a good film.

I do think that Tom is a rare example of largely bucking the trend, but even with Tom his popularity is not what it once was. To go back to my example of The Rolling Stones earlier, they can still pack stadiums but who's really talking about them? We still love Tom here on Sherdog but he's not the hot commodity he was in the late 80s and 90s.

Back