How popular was prime Van Damme REALLY?

It seems to be unavoidable. Has there ever been any entertainer of any kind who was able to sustain their popularity all the way through their career?

Even if you continue to produce quality work, people will get bored and start looking for the next new thing.

No one gives a shit about the Rolling Stones' contemporary music. They just want to hear the hits from yesteryear.

It's kind of depressing, really.

Sometimes limiting supply keeps demand up when something is released. Clint Eastwood, Warren Beatty.

Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise have avoided dipping into Avenging Angelo territory so far.

Stallone's a strange case because it seemed like he'd do a shitty film then a good film, like Judge Dredd then two years later is in Copland, very underrated performance from him imo.

Sly had a string of flops, but movies like Assassins and Daylight and Judge Dredd were still heavily promoted major films. Avenging Angelo almost got stapled to Snake Eater 3 as a double feature in the DVD bin.

Copland is great though. I thought an Oscar nomination wouldn't have been uncalled for.

Sly had a string of flops, but movies like Assassins and Daylight and Judge Dredd were still heavily promoted major films. Avenging Angelo almost got stapled to Snake Eater 3 as a double feature in the DVD bin.

Copland is great though. I thought an Oscar nomination wouldn't have been uncalled for.

I loved the movie until the shoot out at the very end.

He didn't need to be rambo there; in fact he souldn't of been, it ruined it.

Sometimes limiting supply keeps demand up when something is released. Clint Eastwood, Warren Beatty.

Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise have avoided dipping into Avenging Angelo territory so far.

I've noticed that some guys are borderline.

Like Harrison Ford for instance. It doesn't seem like he can lead a film anymore, but he still raises the profile of any film he appears in. So he's definitely fallen from the heights he once occupied, but at the same time he's still relevant.

Another one worth mentioning is the curious case of Kevin Costner. He was once a true A-lister and a hot commodity. Not so anymore, but I can't blame it on the quality of his films because I have enjoyed a lot of his recent work. He seems like another guy who can't really draw as a lead in the way he once could, but he will raise the profile of your film if he's in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed that some guys are borderline.

Like Harrison Ford for instance. It doesn't seem like he can lead a film anymore, but he still raises the profile of any film he appears in. So he's definitely fallen from the heights he once occupied, but at the same time he's still relevant.

Another one worth mentioning is the curious case of Kevin Costner. He was one a true A-lister and a hot commodity. Not so anymore, but I can't blame it on the quality of his films because I have enjoyed a lot of his recent work. He seems like another guy who can't really draw as a lead in the way he once could, but he will raise the profile of your film if he's in it.

Yeah, I think it's probably best to think of guys like Harrison Ford as impressive for still headlining films that get theatrical releases into his 70s rather than thinking about how he isn't as big a megastar as 1989 Harrison Ford anymore.

If we were talking about sports, people would be amazed he was still in the game at all at 45.

Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson and Gene Hackman are three more guys that left the game while they were still big.

Yeah, I think it's probably best to think of guys like Harrison Ford as impressive for still headlining films that get theatrical releases into his 70s rather than thinking about how he isn't as big a megastar as 1989 Harrison Ford anymore.

If we were talking about sports, people would be amazed he was still in the game at all at 45.

Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson and Gene Hackman are three more guys that left the game while they were still big.

Speaking of Jack, he's apparently making a comeback:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/07/jack-nicholson-toni-erdmann-remake

star power doesn't always translate to ticket sales.
Jet Li had his time as the top action guy but his biggest film as the lead was Romeo Must Die, and that didn't break 100 million.

The year was 1993, when the movie 'hard target" was taking the world by storm, and that was the time i decided to grow my mullet

back in the day, would have been awesome to see JCVD and Brandon Lee (may he rest in peace) kick ass in something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back