How surprised were you when Habib totally dominated D1 Gaethje on the ground?

DoctorsStoppage

Tell them it was a
Banned
Reaction score
Justin was dangerous on the feet, the leg kicks caused a lot of damaged. But once Habib got a hold of him, it was all over. Habib absolutely dominated Gathje on the ground and the wrassling difference was so huge between the two, it made Gathje look like an amateur. Lets not forget Gaethje is D1 wrassler and Habib doesn't even have any wrassling credentials.

I for once for pretty surprised. I knew Gaethje was much better in the striking department, and I expected him to defend the takedowns and hold his own in the wrassling department long enough to make an impact in the standup war. There was no wrassling exchange, it was game over the moment Habib got the takedown. Complete domination from the champ. The D1 wrassler was overrun completely, this is something I did not expect to see at all. I was banking on Gaethje's D1 to neutralize the wrassling so that the fight can be only on the feet and I expected Gaethje to win. D1 was so embarrassed that night.

khabib-smash-gaethje.jpg

34991070-8892375-image-a-15_1603964175594.jpg

Justin was dangerous on the feet, the leg kicks caused a lot of damaged. But once Habib got a hold of him, it was all over. Habib absolutely dominated Gathje on the ground and the wrassling difference was so huge between the two, it made Gathje look like an amateur. Lets not forget Gaethje is D1 wrassler and Habib doesn't even have any wrassling credentials.

I for once for pretty surprised. I knew Gaethje was much better in the striking department, and I expected him to defend the takedowns and hold his own in the wrassling department long enough to make an impact in the standup war. There was no wrassling exchange, it was game over the moment Habib got the takedown. Complete domination from the champ. The D1 wrassler was overrun completely, this is something I did not expect to see at all. I was banking on Gaethje's D1 to neutralize the wrassling so that the fight can be only on the feet and I expected Gaethje to win. D1 was so embarrassed that night.

khabib-smash-gaethje.jpg

34991070-8892375-image-a-15_1603964175594.jpg

Khabib started with freestyle wrestling in Daghestan. This is a big credential.

I wasn't surprised the Gaethje was dominated on the ground, but I had hoped his takedown defense would have been better than it was.

0/10

It was expected.

I would've been surprised if Gaethje could've stopped Khabib game plan.

If you pay attention to what comes out of Gaethje's mouth he himself says he hated BJJ and doesn't train in it and only works his wrestling once a week. Once I heard that Gaethje's chances went from 20-30% to .1% in my book.

Not surprised at all. Gaethje has not been a serious grappler for many years, tends to gas quickly, and has fallen in love with the standup game (throwing power shots). His lack of bjj training/defense was exposed here.

Not really. Gaethje only really uses his wrestling for explosive scrambles.

His game from bottom position was unknown, and a lot of elite level guys can crumble if they get put into positions that they're not normally in.

not that surprised, I always figured that Khabib had the edge in grappling, but the way that he effortlessly outgrappled Justin kinda surprised me. Didn't htink it would be THAT easy.

We've seen JG taken down and outgrappled by meh fighters prior to the ufc.

The only people that grappled with JG in the ufc beat him.

Considering Khabib’s history of rag-dolling all previous opponents, no surprise.

Jon Jones getting the better of Cormier in the clinch wasn’t what I was expecting. When you consider Cormier’s Olympic pedigree and his success in tossing HW MMA fighters around it was impressive what Jon was able to do. Didn’t dominate, but was clearly better.

Gaethje literally admitted to not training BJJ at all, and he refused to watch tape on Khabib, which already admitted defeated to me. He also doesn't use his wrestling in MMA because it gasses him out. The result of that fight wasn't surprising.

Khabib is an incredible grappler with many triangles thru his career while Justin is a good wrestler who never developed into a grappler

ALl of you saying you are 'not surprised mofo', you do realizes that even Conor showed better wrassling defence than Gaethje?

Justin significantly improved his striking after suffering his first two losses. He has the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. I believe he's been grappling hard for the past year, but the problem is no one will take him down and bully him on the ground like that outside of possibly Oliveira, but outside of that he shouldn't have a problem with it when fighting Dustin/Chandler.

Not surprised at all. The skill gap on the floor was obvious going into the fight. Gaethje’s path to victory was always to keep the fight standing at all costs, try and cause as much damage as possible on the feet and hopefully somehow put Khabib away or inflict enough damage early that he was hindered the rest of the fight. Clearly a task that was a bit too tall.

Pretty disappointed. Justin was doing well on the feet and I thought he'd at least give Khabib some trouble on the ground. It's like he had never wrestled in his life. It ended up being one of Khabib's easiest fights.

I wasn't surprised that he dominated but I was a bit surprised when he started swishing around like a jiujitsuer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back