How to finally solve your conditioning problem

I'm merely saying that for my lifestyle and for my HOBBY (grappling, combat sports) that this keeps me fit, strong and focussed without paying a massive gym bill or getting yelled at by my wife because I'm spending hours doing or researching exercise! I'm not a pro fighter and never wish to be. I find tabata exercises involving squats, burpees, pushups and skipping really good at getting me fit quickly for grappling if I have a comp on and not much prep time. I understand your point about physiology but after a good six years of experimenting and being caught out with lots of things, having an intense all round workout mixed in with sparring, rolling etc works well for my body and ultimately, for my priorities.

xMTDx:
Obviously, this thread is not for you than. You've found what works for you and are happy with where you are. This thread is targeted towards those people looking for more. Both more effective training as well as better understanding of the human body and its adaptations to exercise. If that's not you, no problem, but than you shouldn't really be part of this discussion.

Buy a VO-2 Max monitor while you train. Our Air Force PT program is up a notch from the Main Stream Air Force Physical Training. We get 5 work-outs a week, from running, to cals, and plyometrics. This conditioning is great. I'm luck to be at such a high altitude and to train at jacksons gym... We'll see how it works when I get to do smokers. By far the best Cardio I've ever received is running stairs in 2-minute bursts.

Yeah I agree, since I am not a professional it would be hard to target what exactly my weak link is whether it be not properly breathing or lack of muscle endurance.

Yeah I agree, since I am not a professional it would be hard to target what exactly my weak link is whether it be not properly breathing or lack of muscle endurance.

Out of breath or fatique in the muscles?

interesting

I need to get some muscular endurance cause even after 5 mins of jogging my hams are tired.

You don't have to limit yourself to just jogging, it's actually probably better to incorporate low intensity MMA type drills as well. Try doing a circuit of 10 minutes of shadow boxing, 10 minutes of jogging, 10 minutes of slow jump rope, 10 minutes of low intensity pad work or footwork drills, etc. In this way you can ensure all the necessary muscles for MMA are being worked and developing the necessary vascular supply. When you're jogging only the lower body is really getting worked, which is fine, but it's more effective to incorporate a range of drills and you can keep it up around 150 you don't have to be down at 135.

Is HR the ultimate target, that should be maintained rather than speed?

For example if I run for 30 mins at a constant pace, the first 10 mins feels quite moderate, so my HR is probably lower within the 130-150 range, but the last 5-10 mins would feel a lot more difficult, requiring much deeper breathing so my HR must have exceeded 150? Does that mean I should reduce my speed as I go, to stay within the HR range? Or is it good to train intensity near the end of a run?

Edit: ^regarding this, if you know you're nearing the end of the planned running time, is it a good idea to up the speed and go all out for the last minute so that you pretty much need to smash that stop button?

to eze - do you do full tests and training plans for individuals who are willing to pay, or do you just train big names?

Is HR the ultimate target, that should be maintained rather than speed?

For example if I run for 30 mins at a constant pace, the first 10 mins feels quite moderate, so my HR is probably lower within the 130-150 range, but the last 5-10 mins would feel a lot more difficult, requiring much deeper breathing so my HR must have exceeded 150? Does that mean I should reduce my speed as I go, to stay within the HR range? Or is it good to train intensity near the end of a run?

Edit: ^regarding this, if you know you're nearing the end of the planned running time, is it a good idea to up the speed and go all out for the last minute so that you pretty much need to smash that stop button?

are you talking about cardiac output work? if so, yes. let your HR determine your intensity. always stay in the 130-150 range. reduce your speed and stay within the range.

are you talking about cardiac output work? if so, yes. let your HR determine your intensity. always stay in the 130-150 range. reduce your speed and stay within the range.

Yes, this is exactly what I was asking and the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Guess I should get myself a HR monitor then.

Bob,

Unfortunately, right now I simply don't have time to design individual programs but I'm working on something that should be ready by the fall that will let you get a completely individualized program based on a very thorough assessment.

What are some accurate and good HRM?

Preferably an example or two with the strap and without the chest strap.

Also just wanted to say I have a fight in 12 days and about 4-5 weeks ago I started doing LSD and my resting heart rate was about 60 bpm but now I just took it and got in 47-49 range.... pretty cool to see that drop as my cardio has improved... now I just need to make weight.

EDIT: The reason that is relevant is because I read EZA's thread on how aerobic cardio is good for MMA n decided I have never been a big runner and I have weird cardio where I could go round in the gym but sucked at running so I am increasing my weakness and have noticed a benefit!

That's an excellent improvement in your cardiac output, you should definitely notice a difference in your conditioning from that increase.

As far as heart rate monitors go, I don't recommend any of them without the chest strap, they just aren't as accurate and virtually all the good monitors use the strap. My personal recommendation is the Polar RS100 and that's the one I sell on my website.

I like it because it's accurate, it has a lap feature that lets you look at the average and maximum heart rate per lap, and the fabric transmitter is just more comfortable to wear. I use the lap function with rounds so I can see a fighters average and peak heart rate per round as well as their heart rate recovery between rounds so it's a very valuable feature to have.

Some of the Suunto monitors are good too, but Polar is just compatible with way more pieces of cardio and they have been a good company to work with so I recommend and sell their monitors only. You'll pay about $110 for the RS 100 but it'll last you forever and it's well worth spending a few extra dollars to get a good quality monitor that will do everything you need it to.

Jeol,

sorry for beign a douche, i've read through around half and a lot of the info I'll-re-read when I get the time ( juggling two jobs and 50 hour workweeks)

on to my question:

how can one improve cardiac output and conditioning when tmie is of the issue?

many of the people (including myself) only have 75 minutes, 3-4x/wk to train for s&c so I'm hoping you can give some inputs.

I know all these cookie cutter conditioning routines ( taba,a HIIT, complexes, circuits) but I wanna know how I can work around this predicament.

TIA

I don't think there is any exact formula for determing the best bodyweight or ideal bodyfat, it's very individual. Look at Fedor, he's obviously not lean but I doubt losing 10lbs of bodyfat would make him a better fighter or improve his conditioning really. For the most part, 7-10% bodyfat seems about right on most of the fighters I work with so if you're more than that it probably wouldn't hurt to burn off some fat.

If you think being lighter would help your conditioning then try dropping 10-12 pounds and see how you feel and if your conditioning improves. That's part of the importance of having objective tests to measure your conditioning level because you can tell how much of a difference losing a few pounds makes or doesn't make.

Generally speaking carrying a lot more muscle makes the bigger difference in conditioning than fat because it's the muscle that burns through all the oxygen. That's the main reason heavyweights will never really have the same conditioning level as the lighter guys and why bodybuilders can't get through a 5 minute round to save their life.

Really? So technically speaking, if 2 people were the same weight and identical other than the fact was had higher bf% (e.g. 2 180 lbs guys, 15%bf vs 10%bf) the fatter dude would actually have better conditioning than the lean guy?

I'm not doubting what you're saying but just really surprised as always thought extra muscle weight was "useful weight" whereas extra fat was just baggage weight that slows you down and wears you out.

Hi EZA,
I know you've read this a lot here, but truely you are much appreciated for your time, effort and expertise being spent here.
I want to ask about some of the workouts I've been doing lately and know which systems they work on and how to utilize them as much as possible.
First: Rich Franklin's strength training that showed on UFC all access (the 10 sets of 10 exercises, 15 reps continuous) When I first tried this my heart rate was usually in the 170s most of the time, I could only go to 4 sets not the whole 10, I start feeling very fatigued (and even yawn, I'm assuming that's lack of oxygen) now after doing it for a while, I make it to 6 sets, but mostly get bored, my heart rate isn't as high, probably between 150 & 160 most of time.
What does this excercise do, how close to competition should it be done? And how frequently? Can this be a replacement to regular strength training, like 5-10 reps classic weight lifting?
Another workout I saw in "Training for Warriors" was 30 sec sprint alternated with weigth lifting for time, I changed it a bit to be 30 sec Sprint(1 elev & 18km/hr), 8 barbell Cleans, 30 sec sprint, 10-14polymetric pushups (the one with toe touching), 30 sec sprints, then 8 dumbell snatches (4 each arm). usually this takes around 5 minutes, I sometimes add in the middle another 30 sec sprint & 30 reps Abs with variations, taking the workout to around 7 mins.
Usually my heart rate is around 170- 174, I do it 3 or 4 sets with 1-2 minutes rest, My heart rate has started to drop faster after doing it for a while, reaching the 140s in less than 2 minutes.
I would assume this workout would be for Anaerobic capacity and also explosiveness, is that right? How useful is this workout, and when in reference to competition? Also how many times a week should I be doing it?
Last thing, Are you familiar with the INTOCOMBAT SAID training routines, I've tried their circtuits for no Gi & MMA, what do you think of it?
Again thanks for your time and sorry for the long post :)

Really? So technically speaking, if 2 people were the same weight and identical other than the fact was had higher bf% (e.g. 2 180 lbs guys, 15%bf vs 10%bf) the fatter dude would actually have better conditioning than the lean guy?

I'm not doubting what you're saying but just really surprised as always thought extra muscle weight was "useful weight" whereas extra fat was just baggage weight that slows you down and wears you out.

what EZA is saying is that fat should not always be seen as detrimental to ones conditioning. he states that it is very individual. more muscles means more oxygen needed, period. if your conditioning level cannot supply enough oxygen to the additional muscles you pack on, then you gas out earlier. look at soko, he was always very explosive and strong in the first few minutes of his fights, but after that, he is gassed. soko packs on plenty of muscle for a 205lber iirc.

Back