I am interested in becoming an electrician, whats the best route for this?

I have no training it and I read that you can become one by going to a trade school and taking an apprenticeship or just taking an apprenticeship. I am looking at the apprenticeship since the trade school is likely too expensive for me who has no money at the moment. Are there any videos I can watch to get the basics of it? Any info from electricians would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You should absolutely pursue this endeavor. You’ll get a lot of unserious answers here, but I am very serious when I tell you that’s an excellent field to get into. I am not a professional electrician, but I do enjoy working with electronics (Which is a LOT more complicated than wiring a house), My brother and I just touched up the electrical in the house I bought, saved $$$$. So, why I might not be a professional, I can at least offer some informed advice.

Here are some reasons you should do it, and some resources.

1 - It’s easy. Sure it’s gonna take you a few years until you actually understand what are you doing, but the payoff as well worth it. You would much rather be the guy running a wire from the electrical box, to an outlet, then the guy hauling Sheetrock.

2 - good pay

3 - a needed service that will not be outdated anytime soon.

4 - Lots of incredible, free resources to help you learn. Below are a few I suggest.

^
^^ This guys channel is incredible. Once you get a basic idea of what voltage, current, etc. are check out his videos to help visualize how electricity works. Good luck you filthy commie!!!

I worked for local 3 ( electricians) in nyc but for fire alarms. Idk about other states but I will tell you that trade school will be expensive. Not law school expensive but it will knock you some good $50k or more.

If you live in a very populated area your chances of getting a union apprenticeship spot are slim
to none. Been there, tried that.... the line looks like fucking best buy on black friday and only very few are the chosen ones, most of these guys have relatives inside the union and it’s easier to get in. Pay and benefits are good, too many people want that.

Your last option without spending money on tradeschool or freezing your ass waiting in line for an apprenticeship spot that is virtually impossible is to find a job as an electrician helper/ apprentice. You will get paid SHIT money and yelled at lol , you will be treated like a dog but if you really want to become and electrician you will learn, get your license and work for yourself or someone else. I have friends who took that route and are independent contractors making good money. Without any unions or trade school.

I think you mean they are known to get the most pussy, right?
Electricians end up marrying nurses. They go home and complain to their wives about how hard it was to get all that wire through conduit after the carpenters had already put a roof over their heads. Biggest bitches you will ever meet.

Fuck that shit there is room for everyone in the trades as long as you work hard and do good work no one can say shit about your soy-boy-beta-cuck ass.

But everyone knows sparkies are kind of pussies anyways

My point was if you're a lefty malcontent the chances are very slim that you have the work ethic to make it in the trades.

My point was if you're a lefty malcontent the chances are very slim that you have the work ethic to make it in the trades.
And my point is that you’re wrong and are letting politics effect you daily life and general cognition too much.

WTF? Half retarded? Nice of you to say that..... The problem was that the wiring didnt have the colors to tell which wire was which, they were both black. And yeah I did call up the electrician and he did it. Unfortunately I didnt ask him how he did it since I wanted to leave him alone.

Yeah we explained all that to you and how to do it safely by merely shutting off the breaker while using a $5 Harbor Freight multi meter to test it.

People were writing up detailed step by step explanations on what to do and you were ignoring them because you were putzing around with some idea in your head of what you thought needed to be done instead of listening to the guys that have done this before.

I guess all I have to say is don't do that if you go into the trades and you better grow some thick skin because 'half retarded' is G rated compared to what you'd be called if you asked experienced tradesmen what to do and then ignore them.

Harry Van Arsdale Jr. spins in his grave.

The ultimate goal is to find a maintenance job where you just take care of electrical shit on one property. You're just fucking around 99% of the time, waiting for that union pension to kick in.

You should absolutely pursue this endeavor. You’ll get a lot of unserious answers here, but I am very serious when I tell you that’s an excellent field to get into. I am not a professional electrician, but I do enjoy working with electronics (Which is a LOT more complicated than wiring a house), My brother and I just touched up the electrical in the house I bought, saved $$$$. So, why I might not be a professional, I can at least offer some informed advice.

Here are some reasons you should do it, and some resources.

1 - It’s easy. Sure it’s gonna take you a few years until you actually understand what are you doing, but the payoff as well worth it. You would much rather be the guy running a wire from the electrical box, to an outlet, then the guy hauling Sheetrock.

2 - good pay

3 - a needed service that will not be outdated anytime soon.

4 - Lots of incredible, free resources to help you learn. Below are a few I suggest.

^
^^ This guys channel is incredible. Once you get a basic idea of what voltage, current, etc. are check out his videos to help visualize how electricity works. Good luck you filthy commie!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpOXZSMJ9U&t=10s

Thanks dude, I will watch the videos later on today when I have time. Can i ask you questions if I have some? I can say I am not the smartest when it comes to this but I would love to learn and will put in the time.

Thanks dude, I will watch the videos later on today when I have time. Can i ask you questions if I have some? I can say I am not the smartest when it comes to this but I would love to learn and will put in the time.

Sure, I’d be happy to help. Below are a few things you need to be familiar with. The videos I posted are good resources. The old military training videos are especially designed for guys like you that don’t have any experience in a field, The other gentleman it’s probably going to go over your head in the beginning. But do watch his videos on the following topics, as they will definitely benefit your understanding and helping you visualize what’s going on.

Voltage, current, ground, resistance, switches (start single pull single throw), ac vs dc.

It may also be beneficial for you to look into, I believe they call it the hydraulic analysis. Basically it’s a way of understanding the flow of electricity, through the flow of water. There are many similarities, in fact there’s a hydraulic equivalent to many of the electrical topics you’ll need to understand. Good luck

I worked for local 3 ( electricians) in nyc but for fire alarms. Idk about other states but I will tell you that trade school will be expensive. Not law school expensive but it will knock you some good $50k or more.

If you live in a very populated area your chances of getting a union apprenticeship spot are slim
to none. Been there, tried that.... the line looks like fucking best buy on black friday and only very few are the chosen ones, most of these guys have relatives inside the union and it’s easier to get in. Pay and benefits are good, too many people want that.

Your last option without spending money on tradeschool or freezing your ass waiting in line for an apprenticeship spot that is virtually impossible is to find a job as an electrician helper/ apprentice. You will get paid SHIT money and yelled at lol , you will be treated like a dog but if you really want to become and electrician you will learn, get your license and work for yourself or someone else. I have friends who took that route and are independent contractors making good money. Without any unions or trade school.
Waiting in line for applications is for suckers, there's direct entry programs where you'll get priority over the guys already applied and on the waiting list for years. Not all apprenticeships are low pay either, Local 197 starts you at like $33 and second term starts after 6 months and you get $47 an hour not including benefits.

@TheOneAboveAll3 read my first post ITT, you'll have the best and quickest shot at any trade

Waiting in line for applications is for suckers, there's direct entry programs where you'll get priority over the guys already applied and on the waiting list for years. Not all apprenticeships are low pay either, Local 197 starts you at like $33 and second term starts after 6 months and you get $47 an hour not including benefits.

@TheOneAboveAll3 read my first post ITT, you'll have the best and quickest shot at any trade
I SAID that apprenticeship programs pay good and have great benefits, that’s why it is so hard to get in. Idk about your state but there is no such thing as easy direct entry program for “normal” people in NYC. If it was that easy , everybody would be there without camping out.

Last edited:
I guess we disagree. I'm good with that
I guess if you are ok with agreeing to disagree water is wet then ok. But the reality is what I said, not some dumb conservative trope that half the population is somehow lazy. While all the drug addicts and felons In construction are somehow the hard working men of the country.

Definitely go union, free apprenticeship and great pay, retirement, insurance. Plumbers, hvac guys, electricians all slammed here in Indiana, not enough help for all the work

Back