"I Cannot Believe This Movie Exists"

MusterX

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I came across this today and thought I would share it. Its about the rerelease of a movie called Roar from 1981. A young Melenie Griffith is in it and gets mauled, meeding reconstructive surgery. 70 members of the cast and crew were injured and it was never released in the United States. I'll include the trailer and some excerpts from the article below and a link if you want to read the entire thing, its well worth a quick read. This is something that would never be attempted today.

"Roar" is easily one of the most outlandish production stories in movie history. (Its debacles make "Apocalypse Now" and "Fitzcarraldo" look like children's birthday parties.) For 11 years, producer-director Noel Marshall ("The Exorcist"), his wife, the actress Tippi Hedren ("The Birds"), and their children, including then-fledging actress Melanie Griffith, lived, ate and slept in the company of 150 lions, tigers, cheetahs and jaguars.

Some of the injuries sustained in the course of production: cinematographer Jan de Bont was scalped, requiring 220 stitches; Griffith was mauled by a lion, which required facial reconstructive surgery; an A.D. narrowly escaped death when a lion missed his jugular by an inch; Hedren, who was also attacked by birds on the set of "The Birds," endured a fractured leg and multiple scalp wounds; and Marshall himself was wounded so many times that he was hospitalized with gangrene.

Take, for example, its absurdly incongruent tone. "Roar" was conceived as a family-friendly film, but the result is a Disney adventure dressed up in a snuff costume. The cheerful score belies the mortal peril that's writ large on the faces of the family as they deliver canned lines tinged with palpable fear. In one scene, Marshall, channeling Mr. Rogers, says, "Hello, lions!" before diving into a mass of big cats; all the while, it's unclear whether they're playing with him or attacking him. The distinction hardly matters; the lions themselves don't know the difference, and Melanie Griffith's now-infamous face-mauling scene ends the same either way. "People don't know whether to laugh or whether to scream," said Parkes. "In most cases, they end up doing both. That's pretty awesome."

http://www.indiewire.com/article/ho...r-the-most-dangerous-movie-ever-made-20150707

There are a lot of pics around of Melanie Griffith and her mom Tippi Hedren and their friends and family members with a huge male lion just hanging around with them on their estate.

Real, real crazy shit if someone wants to post the pics. Just like casually keeping an adult male lion around as a beloved pet. Really lucky they got out of that alive to be quite honest.

No Animals were harmed but the Lion's face is all fucked. I need to see this

Here is another clip from the movie to give you an idea of what these people were doing. These are not trained animals. They are wild natural big cats and its insane what they pulled off.

Just starting it and feels like a wierd documentery that is getting ready to start asking for money.

Why do they have some many Male lion together. I thought only 1 nale was allowed. Robbie is the Boss.

No Animals were harmed but the Lion's face is all fucked. I need to see this

I believe this is where the lion's face gets messed up. Watch this dude try to break up a legit, non-staged lion fight.

lions shouldve ate them all

^^Just watch that part and lion face wasn't that bad after that fight. Dude hand got mssed up there.

Yeah you can see the lion and tigers are not trained at all. They start fucking each other up within the first 15mins and dude just breaks it up with no fear. This shit is crazy, no one even tried to help him.

Prime Melanie Griffith was good stuff.

Now not so much.

Every clip I see of this movie just screams insane. There is not enough insurance on the planet to get this movie approved in 2015. Tell me these lions in this clip are not seriously considering lunch time.

Oh hell yeah this is movie is insane. The tiger just tip the boat and started to go hard at guy and the you can tell the other had to save him for real.

Like someone down the YT comments - surprisingly no one received the posthumous Darwin award for that year.

Oh hell yeah this is movie is insane. The tiger just tip the boat and started to go hard at guy and the you can tell the other had to save him for real.

I read the article, which I placed the link in the op, basically it took forever to finish the movie, it cost 17 million dollars (1981 dollars), to finish it and then it was never widely released abroad and not at all in the U.S.

Now 30 years later it has resurfaced and people are starting to notice just how nuts it really was. I'm shocked I've never heard Melanie Griffith speak about it. I'm sure she has I've just never seen it. One of the actors was scalped, requiring 220 stitches to the head.

I read the article, which I placed the link in the op, basically it took forever to finish the movie, it cost 17 million dollars (1981 dollars), to finish it and then it was never widely released abroad and not at all in the U.S.

Now 30 years later it has resurfaced and people are starting to notice just how nuts it really was. I'm shocked I've never heard Melanie Griffith speak about it. I'm sure she has I've just never seen it. One of the actors was scalped, requiring 220 stitches to the head.

apparently Jan deBont- who directed Speed and Twister- was the cinematographer on this film. He also got hurt much like everybody else.

I read a quote from Hedren where she said in hindsight it was shocking no person died over the course of the filming. Yeah, no shit it was shocking.

Too stoned/drunk to read; but looks interesting enough to read/check it out and the thread.

Tag for later.

Its seems like the animals respond mainly to the main guy of the house. The story is blah but every scene is just nuts with animals looking like they about to make lunch out of people.

apparently Jan deBont- who directed Speed and Twister- was the cinematographer on this film. He also got hurt much like everybody else.

I read a quote from Hedren where she said in hindsight it was shocking no person died over the course of the filming. Yeah, no shit it was shocking.

Some of the scenes in the film clips I posted are outrageous. Like when the guy walks into the house and when he opens the door there are about 15 lions waiting for him and they just pin him to the door.

There is no way in hell I'm walking into that house and shutting the door behind me.

Some of the scenes in the film clips I posted are outrageous. Like when the guy walks into the house and when he opens the door there are about 15 lions waiting for him and they just pin him to the door.

There is no way in hell I'm walking into that house and shutting the door behind me.

have you seen this? The guy puts his Bloody Bleed Bandage Hand rigth into a Lioness mouth and and you can see the lion start to nibble on it. before the guy notices and pulls it away.

Back