I got a Fever, and the only Prescription is More Barbell!

There's some.more in that front squat.

The suckage in this log amazes me.

Yeah, I wasn't feeling squats but I just felt like going a little heavy, like I'm good for 315-325 or so

Dont worry, I have curls programmed in for my next workout, should get rid of some of the suckage

I actually wasn't talking about curls for.once.

There's another 20 in that lift. My front squat is awkward and.lame even at 2/3 of that weight. I need to suck it up and try a 1 rep w it. But I'm going to deload it first.

I actually wasn't talking about curls for.once.

There's another 20 in that lift. My front squat is awkward and.lame even at 2/3 of that weight. I need to suck it up and try a 1 rep w it. But I'm going to deload it first.

O, so if you weren't talking about curls then I guess you were just being plain mean then

I underestimated the effort it would take to stay upright in a front squat, I thought legs would be the worst part, it was shoulders and core for me

felt like it was deeper than it really was, o well, still hit depth so im happy with it

Going to sound a rare note of not being entirely positive- isn't the point of a front squat to get maximum ROM? (Could be wrong about that.) Anyway, I am 99.9% sure you could go way deeper than that. IIRC when you back squat you usually go deeper, even when you do low bar.

Yes I was being an ass. I'm similar in that my ass can move the weight however my ABS and upper back say wtf and want to kill me for it.

Great front squat! I agree with Jaunty that you probably could have gone a bit deeper, but it was still under parallel so that's good. It takes time to get comfortable in that bottom position anyways when the bar is across your shoulders rather than on your traps.

Going to sound a rare note of not being entirely positive- isn't the point of a front squat to get maximum ROM? (Could be wrong about that.) Anyway, I am 99.9% sure you could go way deeper than that. IIRC when you back squat you usually go deeper, even when you do low bar.

Yeah i know, i even commented on how i thought it was lower when i was squatting it, was concentrating so much on my torso and the bar placement i stopped it by "feel" and i just guessed wrong, havent done them enough to know, it was my first time filming them too. O well, im going to get myself bumper plates sometime in the next 3 months so i can start working on my super total, so im going to start doing ATG pause front squats to mimic getting out of the hole with a clean. Depth shouldnt be a problem from here on out :cool:

it is odd that my Low-bar squats are deeper than my front squats......im chalking it up to me just not being used to being so upright with the weight on my shoulders

Yes I was being an ass. I'm similar in that my ass can move the weight however my ABS and upper back say wtf and want to kill me for it.

yeah, thats how i felt, my legs had more left but my upper body was saying no more

Great front squat! I agree with Jaunty that you probably could have gone a bit deeper, but it was still under parallel so that's good. It takes time to get comfortable in that bottom position anyways when the bar is across your shoulders rather than on your traps.

yeah, its just an odd feeling squatting and staying straight upright, goes against everything ive learned so far :icon_lol: thanks though!

I don't expect you to do excessive FS shenanigans like myself right out of the gate. It sucks getting out of there, I won't lie. :)

I don't expect you to do excessive FS shenanigans like myself right out of the gate. It sucks getting out of there, I won't lie. :)

i was suprised at the difference of moving the bar only like 6 inches forward, every single part of the lift feels different. Just gives me something else to work on though :cool:

would seem silly to have to squat portion be the thing holding my clean back....

seems like it would always be the catch holding you back

The sticking point in the clean is almost always different from one person to the next. So, no worries.

The sticking point in the clean is almost always different from one person to the next. So, no worries.

Uh huh captain vague :D all I meant was that it would seem silly to be great at all three pulls and then have a good catch and be stuck in the hole and can't front squat the weight up, that's all

It's the easiest technique wise part of the lift and the easiest to fix, IMO, of course what do I know :D

so im going to start doing ATG pause front squats to mimic getting out of the hole with a clean. Depth shouldnt be a problem from here on out :cool:

it is odd that my Low-bar squats are deeper than my front squats......im chalking it up to me just not being used to being so upright with the weight on my shoulders

I think that with full ROM squats you have to really know where the hole is and what it feels like to be in it. And when you are going really heavy there is always the temptation to cut off the depth. I am sure that full ROM pause squats will sort you out. Looking forward to seeing a video of you front squatting 300lbs ass-to-ankles in the ear future!

Just to give some perspective into the wildly different stances on training one of my all-time favorite quotes is:

"There is little correlation between squatting and the clean and jerk" Alexander Kurlovich

I think that with full ROM squats you have to really know where the hole is and what it feels like to be in it. And when you are going really heavy there is always the temptation to cut off the depth. I am sure that full ROM pause squats will sort you out. Looking forward to seeing a video of you front squatting 300lbs ass-to-ankles in the ear future!

Yeah that's only my 5th time doing them, I'll sort it out next week, I don't know if I can ass-to-ankles 300 yet but I will shortly :D

Front squats will be a main lift in my new routine in a few months

Just to give some perspective into the wildly different stances on training one of my all-time favorite quotes is:

"There is little correlation between squatting and the clean and jerk" Alexander Kurlovich

then why do Oly lifters do the front squat as assitance? *confused* :icon_neut

1/20/12

Oly lifting, cause i felt like it

Snatch

Hang
20kg x 5-6
29kg x 4-5
43kg x 3
52kg x 3
Power
61kg x 3
64kg x 2
66kg x 1
68kg x 1
70kg x 1
72kg x F
61kg x 6-7
Hang
52kg x 4-5

Snatch Pulls

Used 61kg and did about 10-12 of them, didnt do them the way Legio showed me, did them how i would normally do the first 2 pulls to work of keeping my chest up cause im an idiot when it comes to that

Power Jerk

Worked my way up to 102kg and did about 8 singles with it

The 72kg was a massive failure, if im ever going to get anywhere i need to build myself squat stands like i showed Belph and Oly lifting outside when the weather gets better. So i set up for 72kg, my sets were feeling good except my horrible speed on my third pull, psyched myself up and told myself to go under fast no matter what, first two pulls felt good, flew under and promptly hit the ceiling before i stood up knocking me down to my knees with the weight still locked out over my head. Problem is i have a mini platform made in case i drop the weight but since i fell forward i was now kneeling on my platform, so i had to slide back with my knees on plywood about a foot and a half before i could dump the weight, ugh

decided then to drop the weight and work on form some after that

1/20/12

Girlfriend got a spin bike, it's in our living room instead of the basement with the other workout stuff. Did 30 minutes on it and stopped because the seat was killing my ass, if I find a solution to that it will become a staple in my week since its easy and I can do it while I watch tv.

Conditioning workout number 2

I've told you, I don't know what the fuck a kg is. You have to put that shit in pounds or I'm not going to know what you're talking about. And I'd like to know what your're talking about.

Is it a stanionary bike or a spin bike?

I've told you, I don't know what the fuck a kg is. You have to put that shit in pounds or I'm not going to know what you're talking about. And I'd like to know what your're talking about.

Is it a stanionary bike or a spin bike?

Spin bike, I like it but the seat is horrible, need to buy a gel pad for it or something

Just double it and add 10%, so 70 kg is 70x2=140+14=154, ta da! :D I'll start putting pounds in parentheses next to it for you

Most cell phones also have a weight converter in them now....

EDIT: How did you power jerk without knocking out the ceiling??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back