I hate Apple computers

yeah nothing special i just both used one and they always update to new version and nothing new in it. When you open the mac and you look at the scren what is on nothing special. I think people thwt like it is just design and brand because for purpose other then to look it os really not that good

What companies use Mac hardware? I'm a consultant so I'm in a lot of engineering company offices, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using Mac hardware in a professional setting aside from maybe graphic designers.
Fintech companies.

Fintech companies.
Lets say multinational and the particular building I'm in has three floors so not huge like a FAANG but not a startup or local business.

At joining I was offered a choice of Windows (probably on Dell), Ubuntu, or Mac and I chose Mac. I later added an Ubuntu laptop and those are now ThinkPads. Mac's are a great middle ground IMO because all the "regular user" stuff like Outlook and Teams and VPN work well, while being command line enough (with Homebrew) to be useful for embedded and middleware development.

I have no idea about IT and device management.

Some programming applications, some creative workloads. Other than that, it's not uncommon for (deep pocketed) companies on G Suite to opt for mac just for the battery life and since everything is through the cloud.

That and iOS apps have to be complied on a mac if I recall.

I know more than a few unicorns that use Macs as standard work laptops, but they also had pretty nasty financial hardships recently.

Fair enough, as I mentioned I don't think I've ever seen it but it sounds like it's more common than I thought.

iPad doesn't suddenly start having Windows detected error and must shutdown like my newest PC. It's like normal PC use causes files to corrupt and then problems and extreme slowdowns.

What companies use Mac hardware? I'm a consultant so I'm in a lot of engineering company offices, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using Mac hardware in a professional setting aside from maybe graphic designers.

Marketing departments are about the only place I see Macs these days. Lot's of iPhone and iPads though, and the reason for the additional security is simply the extent to which they natively lock things down. No sideloading on Apple. Using Apple Business Manager and Miradore we can completely control the devices and everything they run. Before they shifted to their own silicon I used to see a fair bit of use with uni students, I assume for the aesthetics and brand, but much less so now that they can't use boot camp and run Windows.
Of course for my personal use I hate being locked out of anything, and due to the lack of flexibility of their "walled garden" I use Linux VMs more than I've ever used anything Apple since the the Apple IIE (had one as a kid).
I once had to develop a simple cross platform app, and the amount of hoop jumping for iOS was ridiculous. Admittedly it didn't help that I used Xamarin for it.
They simply aren't capable of running in the typical corporate environments I deal with though. Not just the servers obviously, there's just no possibility of replacing a Tufbook running a CAT ET dongle with a Macbook. Incompatible equipment and Apple doesn't do ruggedised.

yeah nothing special i just both used one and they always update to new version and nothing new in it. When you open the mac and you look at the scren what is on nothing special. I think people thwt like it is just design and brand because for purpose other then to look it os really not that good
You ever try taking screenshots with windows?

With macOS, it’s light years ahead. Screen grab, recording, cut out image subjects automatically, selecting text from images, switching desktops, dead easy on a Mac. Did i mention rdp for Microsoft is even better when using Mac?

Actual productivity tasks…..

I have less need for dual monitors when using a mac but if i have space, sure, prefer the added real estate.

When traveling with my MacBook, i am more productive compared to a windows machine, unless I’m visiting my brother who lets me use his massive dual monitor setup.

For whatever reason, the vm world is against copy and paste, and my work doesn’t allow it. I can get around that with a mac, it turns any viewable text into actual text.

No sideloading on Apple. Using Apple Business Manager and Miradore we can completely control the devices and everything they run.
I was curious what you meant by this part. If you use some kind of device management to lock everything down, then no platform (including Windows and even Linux) will be able to install things right?

For regular consumer Macs there is no locking down. You don't need to install from the Apple Store, and if I remember right you can install even unsigned applications if you click through all the warnings.

Or am I misunderstanding?

I was curious what you meant by this part. If you use some kind of device management to lock everything down, then no platform (including Windows and even Linux) will be able to install things right?

For regular consumer Macs there is no locking down. You don't need to install from the Apple Store, and if I remember right you can install even unsigned applications if you click through all the warnings.

I believe he's referring to iphones vs android phones. iphones cannot sideload applications.

Technically you can use management software like Miradore to manage android, linux, windows and MacOS devices as well, combined with MS Intune/AzureAD, and storage encryption (bitlocker etc) you can certainly lock things down to a degree on all of them. They aren't invulnerable though, and with iOS devices, the degree of integration, limited hardware variation and the inability to sideload adds a considerable additional layer to that security.

Fucking Mac's.

giphy.gif

I work in tech and I can't explain why they're supposedly more secure than Windows devices but it's just harder to do anything. I would make a copy of a .txt file and it saves is as "name.txt copy" and then I have to rename it. How stupid is that set up?

Even simple shit I have to google, like how to find file locations. The odd thing is that so much companies use Mac hardware and Windows apps. When I open an excel file on a Mac it takes about five seconds. How the fuck is that efficient in any way?

<JonesDXSuckIt>

mac hardware is MUCH more reliable, but the windows operating system is great for configuring to your specific needs. and you don't come across the notorious, "blue screen of deaths" you used to come across before.

not too long ago, a co-worker of mine, on a mac, spilled a bunch of water on his keyboard. like eight ounces or so. he immediately grabbed napkins and a towel to dry the spillage. i was sure he had bricked his laptop. nope, it kept on working. i was shocked. just get a mac that has dual boot where you can choose which os to operate on.

When it wouldn’t let me update my OS because of year make of my cpu I had had it.
Yep, that’s the drawback of Macs. There aren’t many models that will allow you easy access to upgrade hardware. So once they release an OS that can’t be run on your OS anymore, it means you’re buying a new computer.

But I got my wife an iMac like 10 or 15 years ago and the thing still runs well. So you don’t have to upgrade too often. And the fucking thing doesn’t require my constant attention to keep it running.

Just got a Surface Laptop 5 for work to replace my 3. Just when I thought a PC couldn't be more awesome.

Back