I miss expensive and high budget single player games like RDR2

Nameless King

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What a game it was. Played 2 walktroughs back to back initially and few months ago again.

Never ever played such epic adventure. Game I consider pinnacle of single players for years and years to come. Everything was spot on, shooting, melee, diverse and rich story missions, characters with fleshed out background, soundtrack, the premise and list goes on. Attention to detail and...I can keep praising the game on and on.

I only hope I still get to experience something like at least once more in my lifetime.

My opinion of RDR2 is pretty much the exact opposite. Beautiful game with some of the most boring missions I've ever played in my life. With a story that seems like it's going nowhere.

Completely agree.

Absolutely gorgeous to look at, but the gunplay is mediocre at best, the story is boring and the characters were bland.

Over the course of the year I played RDR2 and Witcher 3 for the first time on my pc (4k 60fps maxed out graphics) and ghost of tsushima on ps5. I have zero interest in playing any other game right now because nothing can match the quality of these games. RDR2 on the 3080 is the best looking and most immersive game i've ever played.

Completely agree.

Absolutely gorgeous to look at, but the gunplay is mediocre at best, the story is boring and the characters were bland.

I thought the gun play wasn't to bad and enjoyed it. The characters like you said though were boring. The worst part is there was fun to be had in that game they just made those moments so far and few between that it wasn't a fun game. I played the game for a while trying to wait for it to pick up and finally just said enough and gave up.

I thought the gun play wasn't to bad and enjoyed it. The characters like you said though were boring. The worst part is there was fun to be had in that game they just made those moments so far and few between that it wasn't a fun game. I played the game for a while trying to wait for it to pick up and finally just said enough and gave up.

I actually played it almost to completion thinking it would pick up. Then i woke up one morning and put the disc in my PS4 and i remember thinking "i don't even want to play this so why am i?". I traded it in the next day.

If people like it that's fine, each to their own, but it always confuses me when people say it's the pinnacle of single player games.

My opinion of RDR2 is pretty much the exact opposite. Beautiful game with some of the most boring missions I've ever played in my life. With a story that seems like it's going nowhere.

I'm playing it now (Just reached Chapter 6) and while it looks stunning and I enjoy the combat as basic as it is, in terms of story and missions I definitely don't see it. I had big expectations tbf from the years of hearing people pumping it up as this epic Western tale, but for me the story has been the weakest part by far. I like the characters and voice acting, the dialogue is strong, but I don't feel at all invested or interested in where it's going. When most every mission has to end in a giant gunfight it starts feeling extremely limited. I'm eager to finish it so I can move onto something else

I actually played it almost to completion thinking it would pick up. Then i woke up one morning and put the disc in my PS4 and i remember thinking "i don't even want to play this so why am i?". I traded it in the next day.

If people like it that's fine, each to their own, but it always confuses me when people say it's the pinnacle of single player games.
Definitely doesn’t live up to the first, and that’s a shame, as it is a favorite game of all time for me. Incredible Graphics and sound just cannot make up for a lack of interesting characters and conflicts.

I'm playing it now (Just reached Chapter 6) and while it looks stunning and I enjoy the combat as basic as it is, in terms of story and missions I definitely don't see it. I had big expectations tbf from the years of hearing people pumping it up as this epic Western tale, but for me the story has been the weakest part by far. I like the characters and voice acting, the dialogue is strong, but I don't feel at all invested or interested in where it's going. When most every mission has to end in a giant gunfight it starts feeling extremely limited. I'm eager to finish it so I can move onto something else

This is all true from my experience. Rockstar Games in general are all about exploring the world and immersing yourself. The plot and narrative are always tertiary to me.

I honestly can't remember much interesting happening in say GTA V, Bully or RDR2 plot wise because it's not the point of the game. Just the driving force. I will say though the ending of RDR2 is pretty crushing.

This is all true from my experience. Rockstar Games in general are all about exploring the world and immersing yourself. The plot and narrative are always tertiary to me.

I honestly can't remember much interesting happening in say GTA V, Bully or RDR2 plot wise because it's not the point of the game. Just the driving force. I will say though the ending of RDR2 is pretty crushing.

I thought GTA 4 had a great story but otherwise I agree with the rest of the games you listed.

Reactions: HHJ
Games like RDR2 are stupid expensive to make nowadays (its budget was anywhere from $370 mil to $540 mil). 25 years ago, people thought it was crazy like $20 mil was spent on FF7. Then a few years later Sega dropped like $100 mil on Shenmue.

Back