I miss Mousasi: At his peak he was probably the best MW ever

Mousasi was a legitimately great fighter but he was never better than Anderson or Izzy at their best.

In his prime he had better striking than both, but that was prior to his debut. He seemed unmotivated in the UFC.

Him and Rockhold are the most well rounded MWs

Rockhold is a BJJ black belt with great kicks and good striking and also good wrestling

Mousasi has boxing and prior kickboxing experience and is a decent wrestler and is a Judo black belt and able to KO people from a variety of strikes like elbows, knees, punches, upkicks, and a varied set up of strikes.

I do not count GSP as he only had 1 MW fight

"Best MW ever"
the-rock-eye-roll.gif

I like Moose as a fighter but Machida beat him easily. I was on his bandwagon back then. I thought he was savvy enough to beat Machida's game. Machida ended up frustrating him in that fight.

Anderson and Machida are the only guys who give him problems. He beats everyone else.

are these theads real or just troll jobs that end up being real discussion mixed with troll posts or something because some idiots don't recognize it's a troll job or.. just stop, it ruins Sherdog.

He lost to Machida and Jacare. The Jacare fight he didn't get much anything done. Well hard to say. MW UFC champ material but didn't happen.

He also won against Jacaré and Machida.

He was also one of the last "modern" fighters to cross over to K1, and it was for the most random Japanese reason: because Musashi and Mousasi sound a bit the same.

But the impressive part was when he beat Kyotaro Fujimoto, who was still the K1 HW champ at the time. And that was the same year Kyotaro beat Peter Aerts and Jérôme Lebanner (and lost to Semmy Schilt in the finale of the K1WGP 2010, but hey, Schilt always wins those)

Mousasi was always game for some unorthodox fights, like the SUPER HLUK GP, having a submission grappling bout against Fedor, signing up for ADCC 2009 (but sadly he had to pull out... that would have been a very "Kingo" thing to do, grappling against a bunch of BJJ aces),

As a big Dreamcatcher/Young Vagabond/Kingo/Soldier of Fortune fanboy, let me check

Ah yes, must have been 2006, during his brief stint in PRIDE, when he finished the highly decorated 4th dan Judo Black Belt Hector Lombart & Judo Gold Medalist Makoto Takimoto , and I didn't even dislike Makoto, but he had just beaten Yoon Dong Sik in their rematch from their Judo days, so I was a bit miffed.
(and Takimoto would later submit Zelg "Benkei" Galesic via kimura in PRIDE so I was justified in being suspicious of him... well, so did Dongbar [via dongbar], like 4 months later, but it's not an excuse)

This was probably a top 5 highest level matchup of Judo we got in PRIDE eh?
Same league as Satoshi Yoshida vs Ishii, Naoya Ogawa & Kazuhiro Nakamura.

And unlike many veterans, Mousasi is doing well for himself. Loses some, wins some... but he isn't on some bad losing streak like Tyrone Woodley, BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell, Shogun & Ninja Rua, Machida or Anderson Silva were...
Same for Hector Lombart (when he arrived in the UFC, he was suppose to fuck everyone up), Giblert Melendez (same thing), Conor McGregor, Robbie Lawler, Josh Koscheck...

Another thing Mousasi had for him is that he trained smart since the beginning, started with Judo, then quickly became an amateur boxing elite, then went full kickboxing, before turning to MMA and having great trainers and training partners... training with Fedor (when he was the MMA peak) must have been such a confidence booster...

He lacked strength, but his technique and talent was unrivalled. If he accepted the offer ufc wanted to give him and continued in the ufc, now he would probably be considered by most as the MW GOAT.
I strongly disagree. I never understood the hype, TBH.

He also won against Jacaré and Machida.

He was also one of the last "modern" fighters to cross over to K1, and it was for the most random Japanese reason: because Musashi and Mousasi sound a bit the same.

But the impressive part was when he beat Kyotaro Fujimoto, who was still the K1 HW champ at the time. And that was the same year Kyotaro beat Peter Aerts and Jérôme Lebanner (and lost to Semmy Schilt in the finale of the K1WGP 2010, but hey, Schilt always wins those)

Mousasi was always game for some unorthodox fights, like the SUPER HLUK GP, having a submission grappling bout against Fedor, signing up for ADCC 2009 (but sadly he had to pull out... that would have been a very "Kingo" thing to do, grappling against a bunch of BJJ aces),

As a big Dreamcatcher/Young Vagabond/Kingo/Soldier of Fortune fanboy, let me check

Ah yes, must have been 2006, during his brief stint in PRIDE, when he finished the highly decorated 4th dan Judo Black Belt Hector Lombart & Judo Gold Medalist Makoto Takimoto , and I didn't even dislike Makoto, but he had just beaten Yoon Dong Sik in their rematch from their Judo days, so I was a bit miffed.
(and Takimoto would later submit Zelg "Benkei" Galesic via kimura in PRIDE so I was justified in being suspicious of him... well, so did Dongbar [via dongbar], like 4 months later, but it's not an excuse)

This was probably a top 5 highest level matchup of Judo we got in PRIDE eh?
Same league as Satoshi Yoshida vs Ishii, Naoya Ogawa & Kazuhiro Nakamura.

And unlike many veterans, Mousasi is doing well for himself. Loses some, wins some... but he isn't on some bad losing streak like Tyrone Woodley, BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell, Shogun & Ninja Rua, Machida or Anderson Silva were...
Same for Hector Lombart (when he arrived in the UFC, he was suppose to fuck everyone up), Giblert Melendez (same thing), Conor McGregor, Robbie Lawler, Josh Koscheck...

Another thing Mousasi had for him is that he trained smart since the beginning, started with Judo, then quickly became an amateur boxing elite, then went full kickboxing, before turning to MMA and having great trainers and training partners... training with Fedor (when he was the MMA peak) must have been such a confidence booster...

Quarter final and JLB walked off cause he felt cheated with the extra round. They did it before with Buakaw and Masato. So he has 1 loss in the WGP and 1 win that should've been a loss.
But of course it's a impressive win for Mose. I even forgot about it.
Kyotaro also went on to be a top 15 boxer if I remember correctly.

Also he lost to Machida then beat an older put of prime Machida by split decision. Well both fights he did OK.
He caught Jacare by upkick KO but then got shut down in the rematch.

Well in any case I'd also put him in the top 10 all time at MW. He was one of the better MWs by far.

Romero would have killed mousasi.

Prime Mousasi would get ragdolled by Vettori. Lol of all the low iq fanbases Moose has the most deluded one by far.

The man has a title defence against Mr Vanzant and lost a decision to who knows who...

His fight against ghost of Rory was probably his peak.

I despise Mousasi fans. They are somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty.

Great fighter who came at the wrong time, lost a few times and by the time he made it to the top 5, the whole Micheal Bisping ducking saga began. Imo I thought Jacare, Mousasi and Yoel all got screwed in one way or another.

Kinda mind blowing how mousasi vs luke rockhold never materialized

A lot of people believed he could've best Silva and Izzy but IDK man.

Last edited:
Back