"I never gon fight at 170, never, I want everybody know I never fight at 170" - Khabib

Because your point is dumb. The risk at 170 is alot greater and the reward is not. He has more to lose than gain by jumping weight classes. Beating Usman is not going to be a marque fight, whether for legacy or money

Yes, the risk being great is exactly why winning the championship there would be such a big accomplishment. Derp derp

It's funny, you keep telling me that winning titles in more than one weight class isn't a big deal anymore because so many are doing it, yet you insist that the reason to avoid even trying is because the challenge would be too great. The fact is you're just making excuses for him.

For some, though, he'll be most remembered for not taking the risk to face tougher/heavier competition.

That might not be totally fair, but given his history at 170 and history of difficulties at 155 (and lack of competition there, at least thus far), it would be exciting to see him challenge himself at a higher weight class.

GSP, for example, is thought of as both the WW GOAT and the guy who was too afraid to move up to face Anderson.

gsp_ufc_217-1040x572.jpg

lol suck it gsp hater.

Why did you just completely miss my point? There's nothing stopping him from becoming the GOAT at Lightweight AND winning the Welterweight Championship on top of it
Yes there is. You're fighting at one or the other and you can't just keep gaining and losing 15 lbs every other fight to defend both titles. When guys move up, they generally stay there and give up the belt at the lower class and Khabib still has several fights at LW before being considered LW GOAT.

Yes there is. You're fighting at one or the other and you can't just keep gaining and losing 15 lbs every other fight to defend both titles. When guys move up, they generally stay there and give up the belt at the lower class and Khabib still has several fights at LW before being considered LW GOAT.

I never said he'd have to defend both belts. I said he could chase after the glory of being the greatest Lightweight ever and then win the Welterweight Championship at a later date.

I never said he'd have to defend both belts. I said he could chase after the glory of being the greatest Lightweight ever and then win the Welterweight Championship at a later date.
I could see maybe if he's cleaned out LW, then takes on the WW champ for his last fight and retiring after, but he's in his 30s now and has been a pro since he was 19 so I don't see him moving up and just starting a new career at WW. The size difference doesn't really matter for strikers but it makes a big difference for wrestlers to be grappling with a 10% bodyweight advantage.

He is scared to actually fight guys his size. He would rather pull out of half his fights because of bad weight cuts than man up. @ 170 he gets more than one ass whooping. There are a lot 170 guys who will sleep I’m and stuff his takedowns easy.

gsp_ufc_217-1040x572.jpg

lol suck it gsp hater.

I'm no GSP hater, but I recognize the haters exist, and his not fighting Silva is one of the reasons they exist. Same will happen for Khabib if he never challenges himself by moving up.

He is scared to actually fight guys his size. He would rather pull out of half his fights because of bad weight cuts than man up. @ 170 he gets more than one ass whooping. There are a lot 170 guys who will sleep I’m and stuff his takedowns easy.

I'm not a huge Khabib fan but. to be fair; he is fighting guys his size.

He's a 5'10 regular lightweight. Most the top 10 are all a pretty similar size. 5'9 - 5'11 range.

Have you seen some of those fucking Welterweights? They are not Khabib size. Till, Usman, Edwards, Ponzinibbio etc. They're big fuckers.

Tell that to Dillashaw who just got KO'd in 30 seconds trying it while on PEDs. And don't forget Max who's next up and who didn't even make it to the fight last time he tried, and is this time fighting a guy who's already beaten him before.
No one's attacking Conor's gifted ts, calm down Mark

Khabib fought 10/16 fights at WW before he permanently dropped to LW for his UFC debut. And has since missed weight, had a catchweight fight, and been hospitalized trying to make LW.

He's also a Sambo world champ in the 74 and the 82kg classes. That's 163lbs and 181lbs. And a NAGA World WW grappling champ.

Khabib is a WW. That's why he struggles so much to get to LW, and why as mentioned he's also failed to do so.
What you seem to forget is that the Top Welterweights also cut a shit-ton of weight.

I'm no GSP hater, but I recognize the haters exist, and his not fighting Silva is one of the reasons they exist. Same will happen for Khabib if he never challenges himself by moving up.

Can you not see the size disparity between gsp and anderson?

Can you not see the size disparity between gsp and anderson?

Anderson is certainly taller than GSP. But we know now that GSP can make 185. The point is that GSP would have been really pushing and challenging himself to move up against Anderson.

It definitely would not have been easy. He chose not to do it and I get it. But as a fan, I would have been excited to see him try. Just as I was excited to see Conor move up and try 155 and Rory Mac try and move up to 185, and etc.

GSP, as great as he is, will in part be remembered for not daring to try that challenge.

With Khabib that lack of willingness to accept a challenge is even more pronounced since he fought most of his career at welterweight, only cutting down to face lighter competition when he joined the UFC. So far, he's been dominant at 155, so it would be exciting to see him test himself against fighters at his natural weight.

Anderson is certainly taller than GSP. But we know now that GSP can make 185. The point is that GSP would have been really pushing and challenging himself to move up against Anderson.

It definitely would not have been easy. He chose not to do it and I get it. But as a fan, I would have been excited to see him try. Just as I was excited to see Conor move up and try 155 and Rory Mac try and move up to 185, and etc.

GSP, as great as he is, will in part be remembered for not daring to try that challenge.

With Khabib that lack of willingness to accept a challenge is even more pronounced since he fought most of his career at welterweight, only cutting down to face lighter competition when he joined the UFC. So far, he's been dominant at 155, so it would be exciting to see him test himself against fighters at his natural weight.

we know he makes 185 after 4 years off. youre pushing your narrative here bud, thats like me saying we know anderson can make 170... you didn't see anderson push himself to make 205 when jones held the belt. Stop looking at it through rose coloured glasses. If youre saying gsp was scared to move up and fight anderson, then the exact same thing can be said about anderson moving up to fight a killer in picogram Jones.

it works both ways, why doesn't anderoid get any flack for ducking jones? because people want to bash gsp based on his style and they want to nut hug anderson based on his.

I just don't get how you can push that narrative on GSP but not push it on silva and in turn push it on Jones, it comes across as insincere. Fact of the matter is, is a champ does whatver the fuck he wants to do. At least unlike MM GSP issued an open challenge to anderson to drop and fight him unlike mighty mouse who was unwilling to fight dillashaw.

Also don't get me wrong, i would have loved to see the fight and believe gsp would have taken it via smother. I cant blame the guy for not wanting to potentially get k.o'ed by a bigger guy in the prime of his career. whats the point of taking the risk when youre already at the top of your professional. Again you saw anderson balk at jones, why is this ok?

I think the god's honest truth is most people feel anderson would have beaten the shit out of GSP and wanted to see gsp loses by any means. these are the same people who called gsp a chicken for going after bisping instead of fighting tyron. Haters always gonna hate.

Last edited:

This such a tired argument.

The things that make GSP the best aren't enhanced by packing on muscle. His worst performances (excluding Serra) were when he was at his heaviest. He's a finesse fighter with preternatural timing.

People who think he should have fought Anderson either wanted to see him get smashed by the bigger guy who just happens to also be one of the best fighters ever, or people who think he's a lot better than Anderson . Why else push for GSP to fight at a disadvantage?

What I don't understand is why not hold Anderson to the same standard? Anderson beat one guy at LHW of note, a guy less skilled than Bisping. He automatically dismissed any notion of fighting Jones, and said Shogun would have to cut to MW to fight him. When he fought DC he had nothing to lose and was complerely dominated.

Welterweight is loaded with bigger, stronger grapplers. Khabib makes LW, so that's where he should be. A guy like Usman would completely dwarf him. Why do you need to see that?

Last edited:
we know he makes 185 after 4 years off. youre pushing your narrative here bud, thats like me saying we know anderson can make 170... you didn't see anderson push himself to make 205 when jones held the belt. Stop looking at it through rose coloured glasses. If youre saying gsp was scared to move up and fight anderson, then the exact same thing can be said about anderson moving up to fight a killer in picogram Jones.

it works both ways, why doesn't anderoid get any flack for ducking jones? because people want to bash gsp based on his style and they want to nut hug anderson based on his.

I just don't get how you can push that narrative on GSP but not push it on silva and in turn push it on Jones, it comes across as insincere. Fact of the matter is, is a champ does whatver the fuck he wants to do. At least unlike MM GSP issued an open challenge to anderson to drop and fight him unlike mighty mouse who was unwilling to fight dillashaw.

Also don't get me wrong, i would have loved to see the fight and believe gsp would have taken it via smother. I cant blame the guy for not wanting to potentially get k.o'ed by a bigger guy in the prime of his career. whats the point of taking the risk when youre already at the top of your professional. Again you saw anderson balk at jones, why is this ok?

I think the god's honest truth is most people feel anderson would have beaten the shit out of GSP and wanted to see gsp loses by any means. these are the same people who called gsp a chicken for going after bisping instead of fighting tyron. Haters always gonna hate.

For what it's worth, I do hold Anderson to the same standard, and wish he had've challenged himself by moving up to face any of the champs at LHW when he was in his prime. Like with GSP, I can understand why he didn't, but I would've been excited to see him do so.

And with Khabib, it's not like he'd be fighting in a division he hasn't fought in before. WW is where he fought most of his fights. There are a couple of compelling matchups at 155, in Ferguson and Holloway, but there are more at 170.

Ever since the last fight Khabib pulled out of, he's been making weight easily and looking better than ever.

Coincidentally, when he was in the hospital they gave him an IV after he protested, and he realized how amazing the IV rehydration is. I strongly suspect Khabib is using IV rehydration now to help his weight cut recovery.

Welterweight is loaded with bigger, stronger grapplers. Khabib makes LW, so that's where he should be. A guy like Usman would completely dwarf him. Why do you need to see that?

I think that Khabib should fight where he wants as long as he can make the weight. However, I'd be more excited and interested to see him challenge himself against bigger, stronger grapplers rather than almost kill himself cutting weight so he can be the bigger, stronger grappler and win less challenging matches.

Khabib doesn't really even look that big at 155, I don't know how he can manage his weight.
I dunno mind, I remember watching both his fights where he wrecked Barboza and Iaquinta. Both of them he just looked overall bigger than both men. Thicker bodied.
I can never respect the heavy weight cutters. No matter how charming and likeable they are perceived.
I prefer those that cut very little because that takes guts. Also, many fighters have more of a chin from it too.

Back