I remember when everyone thought it was insane that Randy Couture fought well into his 40s

nM.gif
How dare you

Quality of life > quantity of life.

These guys get paid doing what they love. I can easily see why they are willing to risk their health to maintain that.

Hell, office jobs are unbelievably terrible for our health. Yet people still do it because the pay is good. Same concept imo, well not really because most people don’t love their office job
Okay but my point is when you are young it’s worth it because your body is able to take it, however when you’re 40+ no matter how fit you are, it will take a serious toll on your body & mainly your mind, I’m talking mainly about the blows to the head. Each one at that age can be so devastating in the long run, i mean I can’t see anything being worth developing serious brain damage, you’ve had your fun gtfo & live the rest of your life without ending up like Mohammed Ali ya know

Randy likely wasn't but that body type is totally attainable.
At 48 when he didn't even have abs in his 20s and 30s while training every day?

You'd piss hot now if you just watched a live stream of Lesnar/Couture 10 years ago.

At 48 when he didn't even have abs in his 20s and 30s while training every day?

You'd piss hot now if you just watched a live stream of Lesnar/Couture 10 years ago.

Nostradumbass indeed. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Nostradumbass indeed. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
You have got to be fucking retarded or joking. Oh yeah, he was probably eating McDonalds's every day while training and fighting professionally and winning his initial title until it occured to him in his mid 40s "PED testing is really lax in the UFC and most of the fighters are on steroids, but if I just get on the Dolce diet, I could get some sweet abs and continue fighting for belts until nearly 50". Was Mark Coleman also just watching what he ate in Pride?

You said something stupid. Own it, don't read me a slogan off your shitty refrigerator magnet.

Honestly it can go both ways, if you depend more on speed then the lack of it can be a bigger handicap at HW due to the greater power your facing.

Mirko for example could I think have stayed relevant for a good deal longer if he were a MW but you had fights like Nelson and Schuab were getting caught once was enough.

Just a few out-liners but look at MW/LHW/HW for this older guys then look at FW/LW/WW no a lot of older dudes keeping it real at a high level.

And got to say @LouisBolanos has a point these advanced ages usually happen in the heavier weight classes.. the lower ones speed, reflexes, cardio, timing are the keys to victory it seems.

Not necessarily Zaragoza became champ at 33 held it until 39.

He competed at 122.

He was also a smoker which is bizarre in a hardcore endurance sport like boxing.

Last edited:
But then why did Murko suck.

About 5 knee surgeries and various other injuries from well over 100 career fights across boxing, kickboxing and mma took all his speed and mobility away.

Still handed out some late career beatings though.

I personally believe that respect from the fans & even cementing your legacy by fighting in your 40s isn’t worth the extra blunt force trauma to the head & shorter life as a result. I mean it’s worth it for a while when you’re young but when you have brain damage and develop mental illnesses I can imagine you will regret not getting out sooner, I don’t understand why some fighters don’t acknowledge this fully, maybe it’s because they can’t imagine not doing the thing they’ve been working on their entire life but I mean f*ck me 40 is too old to be in most sports especially a sport such as this, idk

For a guy like Yoel it must be hard to turn down the pay cheques they are waving in front of him.

Personally I think the brain trauma argument applies at any age.

You have got to be fucking retarded or joking. Oh yeah, he was probably eating McDonalds's every day while training and fighting professionally and winning his initial title until it occured to him in his mid 40s "PED testing is really lax in the UFC and most of the fighters are on steroids, but if I just get on the Dolce diet, I could get some sweet abs and continue fighting for belts until nearly 50". Was Mark Coleman also just watching what he ate in Pride?

You said something stupid. Own it, don't read me a slogan off your shitty refrigerator magnet.

Do you seriously not understand the difference between bulking and cutting? Getting abs is as simple as lowering your body fat.

For a guy like Yoel it must be hard to turn down the pay cheques they are waving in front of him.

Personally I think the brain trauma argument applies at any age.
Yeah but surely he’s at the point where he has a few million in his bank and it’s not even worth it. And yes you’re right however you can recover and absorb shots more effectively when you’re young, of course it still isn’t good for you, but when you’ve been taking those shots for the majority of your life and now you’re edging 40, they’re much much worse and more damaging than the blows they were taking at a young age. You just can’t eat shots in that volume at that age

1. He started later then normal.

2. His body wasn't totally destroyed by wrestling not to mention a style that seems to age better.

3. Natural lol.

4. Be sure his best years athletically speaking were behind him.

And got to say @LouisBolanos has a point these advanced ages usually happen in the heavier weight classes.. the lower ones speed, reflexes, cardio, timing are the keys to victory it seems.

Because they're terrible. Klitschko can't make it to 40 in the weakest era in HW history, yet it's common occurrence in MMA 185+.

Because they're terrible. Klitschko can't make it to 40 in the weakest era in HW history, yet it's common occurrence in MMA 185+.

He did fine.. long career made his money the fire isn't there anymore and he went out in a competitive fight with the best boxer in the world currently.

Back