Media Ian Garry shuts down Joaquin Buckley

I really don't want to break down why all of this is horseshit bit by bit. Can you just think harder about it? Like the fact Buckley doesn't even fit the trend of what you're asking for? Or how much more layered things are than # vs #?

Buckley isn't the guy who pulled off the crazy spin-kick heel KO against another jacked dude? That still has currency in the mind of the average casual, for sure. The UFC hype machine could totally make a little promo video where that KO is immediately followed by a shot of Buckley losing to Garry - the old, "he beat the guy who did THIS" approach.

I think in your hurry you misread my post. I'm not suggesting that things are a simple matter of rankings #. In fact, I think you'll find I support the absolute opposite contention, that rankings aren't ultimately significant, but hype and marketability are - ergo the first part of your post where you claim Buckley isn't a guy a win over whom could be hyped up.

It's not that it's more layered, it's that rankings are a loosely structured system that in theory supports the matchups but rankings can and are dismissed when a bigger (more money potential) fight looms. It's not more layered, it's just something that can be used as justification or ignored as needed.

Buckley isn't the guy who pulled off the crazy spin-kick heel KO against another jacked dude? That still has currency in the mind of the average casual, for sure. The UFC hype machine could totally make a little promo video where that KO is immediately followed by a shot of Buckley losing to Garry - the old, "he beat the guy who did THIS" approach.

I think in your hurry you misread my post. I'm not suggesting that things are a simple matter of rankings #. In fact, I think you'll find I support the absolute opposite contention, that rankings aren't ultimately significant, but hype and marketability are - ergo the first part of your post where you claim Buckley isn't a guy a win over whom could be hyped up.

It's not that it's more layered, it's that rankings are a loosely structured system that in theory supports the matchups but rankings can and are dismissed when a bigger (more money potential) fight looms. It's not more layered, it's just something that can be used as justification or ignored as needed.
Didn't misread it. It's still wrong. He's not the bigger matchup.

Ignoring how irrelevant Buckley is because MMA casuality is very short term memory, you WERE talking about everyone fighting up without taking about streak, when rankings are not just placement but also include momentum. It's not a question of EVERYONE fighting upwards, just the people who are trending upwards. #7 in one division is not in the same place as #7 in another. One of them could be a guy who SHOULD fight up cuz they're undefeated, beat a top 15 guy, then a top 10, while the other SHOULD fight down cuz they're a former top guy on a 3 fight losing streak. If you beat someone, your next fight should be against someone bigger and better, and if you recently lost to someone, you shouldn't. Take rankings however you want, but that's a simple concept. Garry has Neal in front of him and Buckley needs building. They're both pretty much where they should be.

And I'll repeat something already said
If you think a win over Geoff Neal does not get Garry closer to a TS than a win over Buckley (who is neither a big name or a contender) IDK what to say to you.

Kid is right.

Yea but that's not how the sport works lol

U cant just fight up...someone has to fight down ..

Like his next opponent..
Im not saying Buckley deserves it...im just saying this is an asshole take lol ... considering Ians next opponent would be doing what he claims he wouldn't do....
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
Why is Neal fighting down and Garry wanting to fight up?
2ifWDEm.png

Rub more than 2 brain cells together.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
Why is Neal fighting down and Garry wanting to fight up?
2ifWDEm.png

Rub more than 2 brain cells together.

Im not understanding?... Are u in agreeance or in opposition to my original statements...

Haha he's right and I appreciate the honesty of not wanting to take a fighter ranked under him <Lmaoo>.

Also god damn is it funny to see Buckley act like he's some primo star all the time because of one viral knockout, man's really let it go to his head the way he calls everyone out.

Man I should go to bed lol o_O..
Buckley is some primo star in the world of mma by virtue of having a top 3 highlight KO. Some of you mma fans are the greatest enemy to mma. Acting as if having a top 3 highlight KO doesn’t qualify your star status.

SMH at sherdoggers shitting on a fighter trying to get out there and pick a fight the ol fashioned way. I prefer fighters doing person to person callouts. It’s more entertaining

ian garry exposing these frauds who really don't want to fight!

Hopefully all of the fighters above Ian in the ranks refuse to fight him, because he's refusing to fight anyone below himself.

Gillespie destroyed his career refusing to fight anyone below himself.
What the fuck has Buckley done to deserve a ranked opponent? He's 1-0 at WW vs a washed up Fialho.

Didn't misread it. It's still wrong. He's not the bigger matchup.

Ignoring how irrelevant Buckley is because MMA casuality is very short term memory, you WERE talking about everyone fighting up without taking about streak, when rankings are not just placement but also include momentum. It's not a question of EVERYONE fighting upwards, just the people who are trending upwards. #7 in one division is not in the same place as #7 in another. One of them could be a guy who SHOULD fight up cuz they're undefeated, beat a top 15 guy, then a top 10, while the other SHOULD fight down cuz they're a former top guy on a 3 fight losing streak. If you beat someone, your next fight should be against someone bigger and better, and if you recently lost to someone, you shouldn't. Take rankings however you want, but that's a simple concept. Garry has Neal in front of him and Buckley needs building. They're both pretty much where they should be.

And I'll repeat something already said

Okay, so the formula is trend plus ranking equals REAL ranking?

So if the number 5 guy is on a streak abd the number 6 guy is also on a streak but his streak is one fight longer, who gets to fight the number 4 guy? And how many wins does the number 4 guy have to have streakee together such that he can refuse the match up and demand a higher ranked opponent himself?

You haven't clarified anything man. We all know that matches are clearly not simply based on rankings alone. Where we disagree is that I contend that matches are almost entirely made based on hype and marketability and rankings are merely sometimes used to justify those matches whereas you think there's some invisible calculus involving a fighters trend being done behind the scenes.

Layered indeed. Instead of one pseudo legitimate system of a simple objective number, now we have the introduction of a whole bunch of subjective bullshit to make it clear.

Oorrrr... rankings don't really matter, and fights are made on hype and marketability - a portion of which is generated from the rankings but the rankings can be dismissed if there's a hype job or money maker involved.

Also, yes. A win over the badass muscleman who spin kick kod another badass looking muscle man is arguably more impactful to a fighters hype - and therefore likelihood of getting higher profile fights - than is a win over blue chip grinder Geoff Neal.

Yes, trying to be the best in the world by refusing to fight anyone behind you. That is smart, clearly will not backfire.

These modern fighters are divas, "waaah I only fight upwards". They could learn a thing or 2 from mommy fiorots world tour of destruction. Beat up a former title challenger in america, take out the number 1 contender in Abu Dhabi, then kick an unranked former champs ass for fun in Paris.

shut up and fight once then call people divas

Problem is every fighter feels like this way and one of them has to be the lower rank.
And it's embarrassing to watching a fucking clown like Garry talk about ranks when anyone at his level being ranked between 13-15th is purely the UFC picking someone to put there, since beyond the top 10 is a stupid shit show of prelim nobodies most of the time. The guy acts like being fed cans because he has an accent that appeals to EU fans isnt the main reason for his trajectory in the UFC. Delusional/Entitled EU fighters are the worst.

Ian Garry is getting a bit full of himself. Mild God Complex.
I'm starting to hope he gets beaten and learns a bit of humility.

I'm surprised so many people are applauding. Usually sherdoggers detest "duckers" and "rank squatters" (just to use a few of the terms oft thrown about around here).

Maybe folks are just sick of Buckley's antics.

Hopefully all of the fighters above Ian in the ranks refuse to fight him, because he's refusing to fight anyone below himself.

Gillespie destroyed his career refusing to fight anyone below himself.

Garry is undefeated and on the rise. The way it works is a fighter on a hot streak rises up the rankings by fighting guys ranked above him who are coming off a loss.

Gillespie was 1-1 and had been brutally finished in his previous fight. He needed at least one more win before he would have been in a position to wait for a higher ranked opponent.

Last edited:
Back