If an intellectually sound argument against Fedor exist,

Literally, all you can question about Fedor from his accomplishments in the ring or cage is at times in his career he has had some questionable opponents for someone at his level at that time. Some of it probably out of his control and was common in Japan for other great fighters also so its hard to knock him on it. But you could question if he faced the best each time out may of he got caught on an off night. It seems to happen to the best of them. Besides that he I don't know what else you can say.

Two things that all GOAT's have in common.

1. They are dominant at the highest level, not only physically but mentally. They are both feared and respected by other competitors, to the point they achieve legendary status.

This would preclude anybody who does not either win in a dominant fashion, or show extraordinary skills, that clearly differentiate them from their opponent(s). Mike Tyson blasted through his opponents, causing apprehension for anyone thinking of signing on to fight him. Ali outskilled his opponents to the point he made them look silly.

Fedor fits this description, beating the best of the best in the deepest division for a decade.

2. The GOAT has to have the odds stacked against him, but wins anyway.

This would preclude anybody who has a natural physical non skill based advantage over the majority of his opponents. The majority of opponents Jon Jones fought, for example, were significantly smaller than him on fight night. To be a GOAT candidate, Jones would have to start winning at HW.

Mike Tyson, Holyfield, Fedor were all at a disadvantage in size compared to most of their opponents, but used their skills or ferocity to overcome that.

There is also something to be said of where the GOAT's dominance took place. Fedor did not fight under the Unified Rules twice a year, he won and dominated under the most grueling ruleset outside of pure NHB. All his fights were against fighters on performance enhancing drugs, and yet he beat them anyway. I don't see a fighter today that could have done what he did, in the way he did, at the time and place that he did, and did it for so long. And no fighter, now that Pride is gone will ever have that same opportunity. Fedor = GOAT

Good virgin boy
bahaaha - nice pup, respond on command!

Not to mention married with 3 kids here mate, pretty good for a 'virgin' lol (seriously *virgin*! how old ARE you!? That's like a grade school insult)

Its all good though - 1987 was a great year - I got this for XMas.

latest

(Something well before your time, you would have grown up with Playstation and XBox, not that there's anything wrong with that, you just missed the classics)

Anyway... Its been enjoyable but alas my last response to you. I won't be checking the thread again. Given my age, I'll do the mature thing and end this conversation.

I'm sure you'll choose to reply, being able to predict the moves of those junior types like you is wisdom gained by experience... but then again maybe you'll prove us all wrong and amass the maturity NOT to respond... You mid-Gen Y lads do occasionally surprise.

I'll wait to see if I'm notified of you responding. Will you really prove to us that I'm in your head that much? That notification comes through, imagine me:

QONVIyz.gif

Its been fun kid, Cheerio!

bahaaha - nice pup, respond on command!

Not to mention married with 3 kids here mate, pretty good for a 'virgin' lol (seriously *virgin*! how old ARE you!? That's like a grade school insult)

Its all good though - 1987 was a great year - I got this for XMas.

latest

(Something well before your time, you would have grown up with Playstation and XBox, not that there's anything wrong with that, you just missed the classics)

Anyway... Its been enjoyable but alas my last response to you. I won't be checking the thread again. Given my age, I'll do the mature thing and end this conversation.

I'm sure you'll choose to reply, being able to predict the moves of those junior types like you is wisdom gained by experience... but then again maybe you'll prove us all wrong and amass the maturity NOT to respond... You mid-Gen Y lads do occasionally surprise.

I'll wait to see if I'm notified of you responding. Will you really prove to us that I'm in your head that much? That notification comes through, imagine me:

QONVIyz.gif

Its been fun kid, Cheerio!
massive reply like a triggered child. Your kids will grow up to be losers too :)

Crack on triggered kiddo! :)

There are only 4 or 5 haters in the forum.

Mayority of MMA fans community and pretty much all fighters community loves Fedor.

And the most respected fighter consider him GOAT.

<Fedor23>

it's not a matter of whether people like him or not
That doesn't determine anything.

Fedor ducked the UFC, ducked overeem, and got finished 3x in strikeforce. That right there showed that he was far from the GOAT.

Excellent fighter, Pride legend, but no way in hell is he the GOAT in any universe.

Literally, all you can question about Fedor from his accomplishments in the ring or cage is at times in his career he has had some questionable opponents for someone at his level at that time. Some of it probably out of his control and was common in Japan for other great fighters also so its hard to knock him on it. But you could question if he faced the best each time out may of he got caught on an off night. It seems to happen to the best of them. Besides that he I don't know what else you can say.

Well, my view is that he ducked the UFC and ducked overeem. At the time, that was avoiding lesnar, mir, gonzaga, couture, JDS, Kongo, cain, etc. and he also ducked overeem in strikeforce.

That would have been not that bad I guess if he at least kept winning in strikeforce, but he got finished 3x in a row in devastating fashion.
You can absolutely question fedor's accomplishments because people want to put him in the GOAT argument, so why not.

Nothing against Fedor personally, he was the Pride legend.

Fedor ducked the UFC, ducked overeem,

You want to make me believe Fedor ducked Overeem when he signed to fight in the same tournament with him?

Also, watch this roster.. Strikeforce was the real deal.. not UFC.

007_Eight_Tournament_Fighters2.jpg

SF_GP_bracket_complete.jpg

it's not a matter of whether people like him or not
That doesn't determine anything.

Yes, it does.

GOAT it´s a subjective concept based on beliefs, or opinions. Thats why polls are made in all MMA forums. Fedor won the majority of those polls since ever.

And like Aldo said...

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
You want to make me believe Fedor ducked Overeem when he signed to fight in the same tournament with him?

Also, watch this roster.. Strikeforce was the real deal.. not UFC.

007_Eight_Tournament_Fighters2.jpg

SF_GP_bracket_complete.jpg

Yes, it does.

GOAT it´s a subjective concept based on beliefs, or opinions. Thats why polls are made in all MMA forums. Fedor won the majority of those polls since ever.

And like Aldo said...

hqdefault.jpg

Everyone likes kazushi sakuraba. Why isn't he in the GOAT conversation? What about Cowboy Cerrone?

Also, Fedor entering the same tournament as Overeem didn't mean anything because no one in that tournament absolutely had to face their opponent and face big consequences if they didn't. For example, cormier stepped in as a replacement for overeem, That right there tells you everything.

Fedor ducked overeem twice: once in 2009, and once in 2010, so to say that fedor was 100% going to fight overeem in 2011 if they both won was BS because Overeem ended up not fighting bigfoot in strikeforce anyway!

If Fedor never ducked overeem prior to the tournament, yes you may have a point, but that's not the case.

Well, my view is that he ducked the UFC and ducked overeem. At the time, that was avoiding lesnar, mir, gonzaga, couture, JDS, Kongo, cain, etc. and he also ducked overeem in strikeforce.

That would have been not that bad I guess if he at least kept winning in strikeforce, but he got finished 3x in a row in devastating fashion.
You can absolutely question fedor's accomplishments because people want to put him in the GOAT argument, so why not.

Nothing against Fedor personally, he was the Pride legend.

I don't know how much you can really say he ducked the UFC.

I think Fink was more of the issue of him not being the UFC. Some of the demands they made were just not going to happen in the UFC. A lot of it just goes back to how Fink/M-1's betterment was put before Fedor in Fedor negotiations. Fedor did have some loyalty to Fink as he did make him a lot of money and helped him out when he was really getting screwed in Pride. In the end Fink did get most those demands met by other orgs, good or bad for that org they made the deal.

Overeem thing I guess you could question. But looking at the Overeem, Fedor knew in 2005 and Overeem of 2009/2010, I mean come on. Pretty hard not think the obvious and if you got some belief that it was way over the line than that is your own choice. The later I think being the real issue here. I'm sure Fedor knows he fought many cheaters but not guys that it was that apparent. I think that just really rubbed him the wrong way and he didn't want to give him that payday of stepping in the cage with him.

Fedor without a doubt is the HW GOAT, I think between him & GSP you could make a good case for either being an ATG. Anderson, like Fedor..both have some bad losses towards the end of his career, but he took more chances than GSP. The toughest competitor GSP ever fought was Hendricks and he left the sport avoiding a rematch.

Regardless of opinion, Fedor should be in most people's top 5 and without a doubt, in every top 10 ATG list.

Back