If anyone is planning on ever exploring caves as a hobby- watch this first

Bit of controversy around this video as the guy didn't really do his own research and ripped someone elses, but it's worth a watch.

Oh Jesus Christ

Yeah, I've never understood the appeal of uncomfortably crawling around in a dark cave.
there are some caves in hawaii, and I heard from someone that there is an opening at the end of the cave..... well, I took my daughter along with some strangers, power in groups an all that, we went like a quarter mile into the cave before she got injured and gave up.

once you get to a certain point, you simply want to push through and finish, not knowing there is no light at the end of the tunnel..... you have some mental investment once you've gone down a certain amount, backtracking is like admitting defeat. To this day, I have no idea if there really is an opening on the other side, it was a slow arduous hike.

The exploration aspect is cool, the traversing places meant for a damn groundhog that could also cave in on you is not.

there are some caves in hawaii, and I heard from someone that there is an opening at the end of the cave..... well, I took my daughter along with some strangers, power in groups an all that, we went like a quarter mile into the cave before she got injured and gave up.

once you get to a certain point, you simply want to push through and finish, not knowing there is no light at the end of the tunnel..... you have some mental investment once you've gone down a certain amount, backtracking is like admitting defeat. To this day, I have no idea if there really is an opening on the other side, it was a slow arduous hike.

Are they man caves?

This warning will come too late for many.

I watched a few of these caving vids and yes they are scary and anxiety inducing, but quite captivating.

But now the algorithm on youtube is bombarding me with nothing but caving videos.

The algorithm has me!

I was getting claustrophobic just watching the video, I’ve gone through confined space training before and that is not something I enjoy. I can’t even imagine forcing my body down through those tight passages. My vote is to close the entire tunnel down so rescuers don’t have to risk their lives saving someone else.

I spoke to a friend of mine last night who used to be in police rescue. We talked on this subject and he mentioned a few times he had to go on rescues for people lost and stuck.
He also mentioned having to abseil down abandoned mineshafts in respiration gear to look for possible murder victims.

So imagine crawling in a cave and then you are face to face with a dead body.

The comments are criticizing him for that too. It's not the only recklessly dangerous video on that channel. I remember seeing this awhile back when I went on a caving video kick
if you want to see the kings of stupid shit, check out Cave diving stories

Some of these fucks don't even understand you can't dive hundreds of feet deep on regular air, or what decompression time means.

On Disney+ there was a documentary of what I think they said was exploration of the deepest cave. It was such a long stretch that they have various checkpoints with stored supplies and separate mini-teams/shifts. Some of the passages you could barely squeeze past in some strange awkward position where I'd look at that and abort.

This one?

My 8 year old son always asks to go explore caves because he loves bats and wants to see them. I’m just like

louis-louis-ck.gif

Anyone who goes caving, especially underwater caving, is out of their minds. You're asking to die, literally asking to die. If you want to die, okay, that's your business, and yes, you should have a choice in how you do it. But don't risk other people's lives to come rescue your ass if and when it goes wrong.

There are much quicker methods if you want to meet the Grim Reaper.

Instantly thought of the descent when I opened this thread. Underrated movie

Back