Opinion If nuclear weapons didn't exist then the current conflicts involving Russia, Ukraine, Israel, and Palestine would have already devolved into WWIII

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Everybody likes to talk down on nuclear weapons like they're the worst thing humanity ever created. But I see the opposite being true. Humans have proven themselves to be barbaric war-crazy animals who are willing to fight the bloodiest wars for the most insignificant of reasons. Nuclear weapons saved is from ourselves. With the threat of mutually assured destruction humans became more diplomatic and open to compromise because the stakes were so dire.

But of course nations still fight, the only difference is that the guardrails of nukes insure that the conflicts remain self contained instead of all-out global war.

There's no doubt in my mind that if nuclear weapons didn't exist that the current conflicts involving Russia, Ukraine, Israel, and Palestine would have basically resulted in a WWIII by now.

What sat you?

Last edited:
Cold war would have gone WW3 i think

It nearly came to nuke war with 2 out of 3 SU officers saying fire the nuke or so the story goes (need 3 guys to agree on nuke firing)

"As flotilla commodore as well as executive officer of the diesel powered submarine B-59, Arkhipov refused to authorize the captain and the political officer to use nuclear torpedoes against the United States Navy, a decision that required the agreement of all three officers. In 2002, Thomas S. Blanton, then director of the U.S. National Security Archive, credited Arkhipov as "the man who saved the world".

That's a good point and probably right. The nuclear deterrent has mostly worked thus far amongst world powers - lets hope it continues.

Everybody likes to talk down on nuclear weapons like they're the worst thing humanity ever created. But I see the opposite being true. Humans have proven themselves to be barbaric war-crazy animals who are willing to fight the bloodiest wars for the most insignificant of reasons. Nuclear weapons saved is from ourselves. With the threat of mutually assured destruction humans became more diplomatic and open to compromise because the stakes were so dire.

But of course nations still fight, the only difference is that the guardrails of nukes insure that the conflicts remain self contained instead of all-out global war.

There's no doubt in my mind that if nuclear weapons didn't exist that the current conflicts involving Russia, Ukraine, Israel, and Palestine would have basically resulted in a WWIII by now.

What sat you?

As long as they remain unused, their use as a detterent is unmatched.

The problem is, they exist.

World War 3 would have already happened decades ago. Probably World War 4 as well.

The current conflicts are only scary because of nukes. NATO would crush Russia. China would likely not get involved in a Persian Gulf style liberation war that stops at the border because of the economic impact. The risk is that they use it as an opportunity to attack Taiwan because America is preoccupied. But they aren't ready for a large scale naval war with America.

World War 3 would have already happened decades ago. Probably World War 4 as well.

The current conflicts are only scary because of nukes. NATO would crush Russia. China would likely not get involved in a Persian Gulf style liberation war that stops at the border because of the economic impact. The risk is that they use it as an opportunity to attack Taiwan because America is preoccupied. But they aren't ready for a large scale naval war with America.
A world without nukes definitely sees more large scale war. NATO wrecks Russia in the 60s and we’d probably already be pushing Chinas you know what in.

If we all listened to John Bolton, we'd be in world war 6 by now.

You're probably right that it has kept everyone a little more selective with whom they go to war, but that does also mean if/when WW3 does kick off, we're all pretty much fucked.

China and Japan would've been a wasteland. Russia invading Japan while US are busy fighting in the streets.

The risk is that they use it as an opportunity to attack Taiwan because America is preoccupied. But they aren't ready for a large scale naval war with America.
When 2008 came and gone without Taiwan being invaded by China, I KNEW then that it ain't gonna happen for a loooooong time. Maybe not in our lifetime.

When 2008 came and gone without Taiwan being invaded by China, I KNEW then that it ain't gonna happen for a loooooong time. Maybe not in our lifetime.

It seems like China's military has been threatening to invade Taiwan for a while.

United States of America President Biden and the rest of the federal government would despise it if that happened. I know for a fact that former United States of America President Donald Trump and everyone around him would be livid and enraged if China's military invaded Taiwan.

I wouldn't be surprised if a considerable amount of folks say that it'll never happen. After all, if they've been threatening for so many years, why have they done nothing yet?

Look at the case of nations like Israel. Every Islam gang of psychopaths were threatening every Jewish person and every Hebrew person for centuries. Hamas and every other Islam gang of psychopaths insist that Allah approves and supports their decision to erase Israel.

Hamas and every other Islam gang of psychopaths insist that Allah approves and supports their decision to murder and genocide every single Israel person, every single Jewish person, and every single Hebrew person.

Did you ever think that these Islam gangs of criminals and psychopaths would ever actually invade Israel?

Last edited:
Back