If the day/night duration would be different

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
If the current day and night duration on earth would change, what would be our reaction?
Would our bodies adapt acordingly?
So eg. If the day would be 24hrs and night also 24hrs , are we then naturally able to be more awake and sleep more, or we are infact designed and configured to be tied with the current day/night biorythm?

If the current day and night duration on earth would change, what would be our reaction?
So eg. If the day would be 24hrs and night also 24hrs , are we then naturally able to be more awake and sleep more, or we are infact designed and configured to be tied with the current day/night biorythm?
You can just see how people that live north of the Arctic circle react to the 24 hour days (summer), and 24 hours of nights (winter).

If there are 30 days of perpetual night, bad shit might happen to the human body though

30_Days_of_Night_teaser_poster.jpg

Normally our bodies would adapt as time went on, but with the current generation, nobody has time for that so we would all basically shrivel up and die..
So you think next generations would adapt and be able to cope with 24h day?

Isn't it dark or light near the poles for half a year each?
I think so but the duration is longer than 24h for a day and night too
Also significant part of the night/day durationis is like an early dawn in a way ,so its not the best example it looks like

So you think next generations would adapt and be able to cope with 24h day?
Nope,
They don’t have the patience.

They will create some kind of wonder drug to help their bodies adapt at an accelerated rate. Not having the patience to thoroughly test the new wonder drug, it in turn causes people to eventually shrivel up and die at an accelerated rate…

Nope,
They don’t have the patience.

They will create some kind of wonder drug to help their bodies adapt at an accelerated rate. Not having the patience to thoroughly test the new wonder drug, it in turn causes people to eventually shrivel up and die at an accelerated rate…

dr-fauci-smile.gif

Biologically life has evolved to be in tune with the current conditions on Earth for the 24 hour cycle of wake and sleep time. Most life is active during the light periods and asleep during the dark periods but there are some forms that are active in the dark and asleep in the light periods but I don't know of any who have evolved to handle a 24 hour cycle. If the planet slowed gradually I'm sure life would adapt to it.

its called Tromso

I don't know if our bodies would immediately adapt in a lifetime, but we humans being innovative as we are, would easily find a way to work around this... We'd create artificial UV centers and stuff and dark rooms to simulate a natural 24 hour cycle.

People in Alaska have to deal with atypical day/night cycles and they're still surviving.

I recently saw an article about a university guy suggesting giant space umbrella tethered to something like asteroid or comet to combat global warming.

Sometimes in the summer, I could use a giant space umbrella to make it less hot.

Dunno. I suspect people would just use blinds or UV lamps, stuff like that. I doubt our bodies could adapt quickly. Maybe over a long, perhaps very long period of time.

Circadian rhythms are complex. Experiments have been done to see how some organisms would react to drastic changes as described in the OP.

Back