If the power in a punch is mostly generated by the legs, shouldn't kickers have greater potential?

Kickboxers don't especially have "bigger" legs than boxers, it mainly depends on fighter s morphology. Legs ( and hips ) are responsible for punching power because they are the origin of the weight transfer, or the pushing motion of the back leg for the jab.

But guys with explosive legs are more likely to gravitate towards kickboxing than boxing. So I'm curious if they have more power potential than a regular boxer

I would say no, because the leg explosiveness for kicking is not the same than the leg explosiveness for punching. You don't recruit the same muscles in the same way ( which are not only legs with kicking )

The power from kicks come more from your hips/abs than from your legs.

THIS. hips and abs are much more important. Thats why you dont have an advantage as a kicker.

Look at his chicken legs.
boxer-thomas-hitman-hearns-at-boxing-match-on-march-10-1986-in-las-picture-id114471103

No wonder he had no punch :)

Last edited:
Power in kicking comes from the hips not the leg any kick done with the quads or hams etc and not the hips is usually a weak ineffective kick.

Last edited:
another thread thats heavy in theory ( actually more like bro science ) and not in substance.

Substance? We haven't had that around here in a couple years. Bro science is the future of sherdog. Don't fight the tide.

The power in a kick come from the hips AND legs. All else equal, a faster and bigger leg will generate more force due to the acceleration and mass excerted.

The power in a kick come from the hips AND legs. All else equal, a faster leg will generate more force due to acceleration.

Jesus man it's not complicated. Someone from TKD will possibly be able to punch harder than an untrained athlete because they've developed some of the physical attributes necessary. They won't hit harder than a pure boxer who's trained for as long as them, and in fact they'll probably have a lot of shitty habits to get rid of before they learn to punch correctly. There's a reason that even at the highest levels of MMA and kickboxing, after years of cross training, the TKD guys still tend to get hurt in the pocket against superior boxers.

Jesus man it's not complicated. Someone from TKD will possibly be able to punch harder than an untrained athlete because they've developed some of the physical attributes necessary. They won't hit harder than a pure boxer who's trained for as long as them, and in fact they'll probably have a lot of shitty habits to get rid of before they learn to punch correctly. There's a reason that even at the highest levels of MMA and kickboxing, after years of cross training, the TKD guys still tend to get hurt in the pocket against superior boxers.

Who said anything about their power as beginner? Of course their power will be weaker As Beginners
Because they only cross train. I mean a total transition to pure boxing

The power in a kick come from the hips AND legs. All else equal, a faster and bigger leg will generate more force due to the acceleration and mass excerted.

You were talking about explosive legs and the strength and power of the legs not the weight of the leg how would the mass of a leg contribute to punching power in any significant way?

Admit it you thought you kick with the leg muscles, using them to accelerate the kick!?

So yes explosive legs help punching power but explosive legs don't do much for kicking power.

Last edited:
Who said anything about their power as beginner? Of course their power will be weaker As Beginners
Because they only cross train. I mean a total transition to pure boxing

It doesn't matter what level they're at, they aren't gonna hit harder than the pure boxer with the same amount of total training time.

In fact, they might even be at a disadvantage because the punches you learn in TKD are shit.

It doesn't matter what level they're at, they aren't gonna hit harder than the pure boxer with the same amount of total training time.

In fact, they might even be at a disadvantage because the punches you learn in TKD are shit.[/QUOTE

Oh really, enlighen us then about the bodymechanics behind TKD punches, with your yellow belt knowledge.

Tell us how a TKD punch differ from a boxing one. I could use a good laugh

But guys with explosive legs are more likely to gravitate towards kickboxing than boxing. So I'm curious if they have more power potential than a regular boxer

do you rea

In fact, they might even be at a disadvantage because the punches you learn in TKD are shit.

This is my guy! A man of reason and substance

Tell us how a TKD punch differ from a boxing one. I could use a good laugh

Check out their tutorials there are a mass of details that make the difference, those details amount to a fair bit of improvement over the TKD punches even though to a noob like yourself it looks pretty much the same

The mastery makes a big difference too, you just dont get it to the same level if you do significantly less repetitions

Go back and respond to my responses you cant escape the dunce cap we already know you are stupid by your question and arguments, unless you are a troll

Last edited:
Anthony Pettis trained in boxing as a kid side to side with his TKD and his hands are still weak because He sucks..at it.

Or does boxing suck now because his hands are terrible?

Anthony Pettis trained in boxing as a kid side to side with his TKD and his hands are still weak because He sucks..at it.

Or does boxing suck now because his hands are terrible?

No way you are that retarded I think we have a troll here guys, ignore it

Anthony Pettis: Early life:

"He started training taekwondo and boxing at the age of 5."

Since he was 5!!! and people blast him for weak hands... Boxing sure does suck..

Anthony Pettis: Early life:

"He started training taekwondo and boxing at the age of 5."

Since he was 5!!! and people blast him for weak hands... Boxing sure does suck..

You think heavy legs make you punch alot harder

You think that you throw a kick from the leg and not the hip

You think using crappy unclear English with a few big words thrown in makes you smart

Spacetime sure does suck

You think heavy legs make you punch alot harder

You think that you throw a kick from the leg and not the hip

You think using crappy unclear English with a few big words thrown in makes you smart

Spacetime sure does suck

Heavy legs combined with proper hip mechanics DOES generate more force than a very fast, skinny legged counterpart.

Back