If Volk Wins He is The Undisputed GOAT in My Eyes

lol, its 2023 now mate, Aldo just doesn't have the strength of schedule over Max or Volk. You can't simply look up his wins, look at the caliber of who he fought on that streak (why do the casuals love streaks I'll never know - Fedor had a similar streak vs largely mediocre calibre fighters, as did Mighty Mouse, talk about Khabibs fake streak filled with a dozen nobodies). Best guys Aldo beat where good not great (Mendez, Zombie, Stevens etc).

I don't get how you can rate him objectively as a FW Goat when the main metric is who did he beat. He beat no one elite. As soon as elites arrived in the division it was over for Aldo.
I think that you're under appreciating Aldo's resume. You didn't mention Mike Brown, Faber or Edgar, whom where all still very relevant at the time and very good wins. Max and Volk have both had great streaks, but are the names really that much better than those on Aldo's list? Not in my opinion. Plus there's something to be said about being the champion and having the target on your back and consistently defending your title over and over again, despite everyone focusing on you and how to beat you. It's all subjective, but at the moment I've still got Aldo #1, Volk #2 and Max #3.

Ok, give this some thought, then:

Prime Aldo vs Prime FW McGregor
or
Prime Volk vs Prime FW McGregor

Then, the same with Holloway.
Who do you think has the best shot of winning between Aldo and Volk?
Still think Volk is below?
I wouldn't measure a long and storied career on a singular loss. Furthermore, I'd favor a prime Aldo over a prime Volk, although, I'll admit that Volk looks to still be improving and so it's possible that he hasn't even reached his peak yet, which is crazy.

He's amazing and underrated for sure. But doesn't pass GSP with one win.

Still has a fair ways to go before being in that conversation. It's amazing what he's accomplished though.

I wouldn't measure a long and storied career on a singular loss. Furthermore, I'd favor a prime Aldo over a prime Volk, although, I'll admit that Volk looks to still be improving and so it's possible that he hasn't even reached his peak yet, which is crazy.
But that's not a singular loss, is it? It's Conor and Max (twice; who Volk beat thrice), two of the best FW so far... And can you really say Aldo was so far from his prime when he fought both, or even when he fought Volk?

I mean, Aldo's best wins at FW are still Edgar, Mendes and Faber, all «smaller» guys that mostly belong at BW. Aldo just has a longer MMA career, but that's it.

But that's not a singular loss, is it? It's Conor and Max (twice; who Volk beat thrice), two of the best FW so far... And can you really say Aldo was so far from his prime when he fought both, or even when he fought Volk?

I mean, Aldo's best wins at FW are still Edgar, Mendes and Faber, all «smaller» guys that mostly belong at BW. Aldo just has a longer MMA career, but that's it.
Sorry, I didn't see the part about Holloway too. I still would favor a prime Aldo, who, yes, I do say was far from his prime, despite still being competitive. I'd say that Faber was a smaller guy, but not so much the others. Edgar was a bit smaller, but we can't forget that he dropped down in weight to fight Aldo after losing his 155 title in controversial decision.

I'd put him up there with GSP, Jones, Silva and Fedor

Surpasses MM and Aldo for me

I honestly believe that Volk is the GOAT if he Beats Machachev

Machachev is in his prime with one loss and the champ of a higher weight class. Protege de Khabib. He's 30 in his absolute prime without taking too much damage in his way to the top (1 TKO is not a lot of damage for a pro fighter with a long career). On top of his career this one mega W propels him into the GOAT conversation.

Why aren't people talking about this??? This is a MEGA fight. Volk is #1 P4P for Fucks sake. Do you know what that means??? It's means he's the fucking best fighter in the world you goofs!

With this win he is up there on Mt Rushmore just because no one else has a win of that caliber. Maybe 2 wins in mma HISTORY are up there

Paddy cake at FW. Can't crack an egg. Hasn't cleared out the div yet gets gift title shot?

He's going to get flat lined. He can't stop guys in fw. Lws are going to hit him into orbit. Emmit Yair shouldn't have to wait for him. Drop the strap.

Sorry, I didn't see the part about Holloway too. I still would favor a prime Aldo, who, yes, I do say was far from his prime, despite still being competitive. I'd say that Faber was a smaller guy, but not so much the others. Edgar was a bit smaller, but we can't forget that he dropped down in weight to fight Aldo after losing his 155 title in controversial decision.
It just seems to me you like Aldo too much to look at it objectively. :D It's ok.

It just seems to me you like Aldo too much to look at it objectively. :D It's ok.

I mean, even Max or Volk acknowledge Aldo as FW GOAT still today.
Give Volk a couple of years to keep building his legacy

i hope you mean only GOAT of FW. if GOAT all-time, you're just being silly.

Islam has zero title defenses and this is a fight that shouldn't really be booked.

Two decisions over Max is a big deal, but generally not all time big deal. Surely he is the greatest featherweight of his generation and in the all-time featherweight list.

Actually, while I do like Aldo, I'm a much bigger Volk fan. Wasn't always that way, but Volk has won me over. One of my favorites!

I don't know. Even if Volk wins it's too early for that type of statement let alone even being the FW GOAT.

Back