If you train consistently for 4-6 days a week is purple at 3 years legit ?

Congrats on the belt

It's totally reasonable for sometime to reach that rank with that much experience

Even if you feel it's not totally legit right now, the nice thing is, you'll be doing bjj for a long, long time. So you will grow into your belt, and then one day out of it. You get it now, you get it next year, it's fine. Keep training and it will all work out

Yup. Kind of underwhelming really not at all what I thought it would be . But keep coming in and training man.... That's all I can do

Congratulations dude! It's a great achievement as you belong to the 10% who didn't quit at blue belt and the real BJJ game starts :), if you train a lot weekly for the last 3 years and competing well, I think your purple belt is legit regarding the mat time hours you spent.
The requirements are being balanced regarding the top game and bottom game, better position controls from side, back mount and the flowing between sweeping knee control side bottom mount submissions. In short explanation, find your BJJ style!

Congratulations dude! It's a great achievement as you belong to the 10% who didn't quit at blue belt and the real BJJ game starts :), if you train a lot weekly for the last 3 years and competing well, I think your purple belt is legit regarding the mat time hours you spent.
The requirements are being balanced regarding the top game and bottom game, better position controls from side, back mount and the flowing between sweeping knee control side bottom mount submissions. In short explanation, find your BJJ style!

Thanks buddy !

Good answer, but the criteria of belt promotion are really subjective from an academy to another one. There are so many criteria of attribution (example age, previous grappling/judo/sambo/luta livre/wrestling background, natural aptitudes like superb coordination movements, rapid learning, exceptionnal physical condition).

I remember in my former academy that a young girl in her early twenties got her purple in 3 years ( 1 year white belt and 2 years blue belt) despite starting one year before me because she becomes so addict that she trains twice a day/ 5 days a week and competes a lot (from IBJJF Europeans, Nationals, Abu Dhabi, Rio....etc).
As well a guy starting at his forties but is a crossfit / pilates instructor and got his purple belt in a little more than 3 years and half after earning a bronze medal at the IBJJF Europeans Master 3 blue belt.
At my current academy, I had a purple belt from another academy in the late forties he earned after 3 years and half due to his age and 15 years of judo and competed a few in BJJ but he does a lot of errors and his level is below the average.
The average criteria in my current academy is 3 years as white belt, 3 years as blue belt, 2 years as purple 2 years brown but again it depends on the age and the progress / consistency in training, a woman in her early forties who competes often got promoted blue belt after 2 years of white belt, It took me less than a 1 year and a half to be promoted blue belt before I left to return to my country and at my current academy, I got trashed as a blue belt and I spent 3 years and 3 months as a blue belt (and competing more than a dozen of times) before being promoted purple belt so you see the criteria are very subjective from an academy to another!

Sounds good except the 3 years as a white belt. I mean that seems a bit excessive IMO. It's not like being a blue belt means your an expert either .

Sounds good except the 3 years as a white belt. I mean that seems a bit excessive IMO. It's not like being a blue belt means your an expert either .
Look at the way it breaks down. They're making it so the total adds up to ten years to black. It's arbitrary. It comes from some idea Helio had that he wouldn't give a black belt until ten years in.

I remember seeing the video where he said that. It had more to do with needing a long time to know a person's character than evaluating him on technical ability. That's friggin flapdoodle brah. I lived in Japan. All the mysticism is just mysticism. If you know the craft, you know it.

My first coach was Relson's youngest black belt after his son, and he made him wait ten years even though he had tons of mat time, had taught for five or six years and ran a successful academy, and had black belt skill probably at year six or seven.

Congratulations you put serious work in. I always felt I never deserved each belt. But either way you grow into it. You're on the next hit list as you are a belt up.

You got to consider these times to bjj bb and each belt are dropping.
Information available and training availability is way different than before. Recovery methods and intensity is different as well.

So........................ real talk here

Have you talked to a therapist yet about your anxiety?

1 - 2 at white
2 - 3 at purple

Less if your grappled 4 - 5 years over a decade ago and come back really strong :)

I don’t see the issue here.

Look at the way it breaks down. They're making it so the total adds up to ten years to black. It's arbitrary. It comes from some idea Helio had that he wouldn't give a black belt until ten years in.

I remember seeing the video where he said that. It had more to do with needing a long time to know a person's character than evaluating him on technical ability. That's friggin flapdoodle brah. I lived in Japan. All the mysticism is just mysticism. If you know the craft, you know it.

My first coach was Relson's youngest black belt after his son, and he made him wait ten years even though he had tons of mat time, had taught for five or six years and ran a successful academy, and had black belt skill probably at year six or seven.

Make white 2 and the other 3 belts 3 years each . ... But white for 3 years is ridiculous IMO. White is supposed to be the intro belt

I've said before and will say again- if it takes more than 1.5 - 2.5 years for someone to get to blue belt level (assuming they train 2-3 times a week, no major injuries, etc) - then your gym doesn't have high standards- it has shitty instruction and methodology.

And if your gym is sandbagging whitebelts for competitive purposes... lol... leave.

You train consistently 4-6 (average 5) days a week for 3 years straight . No injuries or long breaks or anything like that , competed a few times as a blue , is purple at 3 years legit or a mcdojo belt ?

Asking for a friend's friend

I fully believe that any regularly attending student could become a legit purple belt within three years, and a legit black belt within six, but it all depends on the mindset of the instructor. We've all accepted the idea that belt advancement is a nebulous process of uncertain and often abstract criteria rather than a cumulative development, and I think this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy where students end up learning under a nebulous and abstract direction. Instead of a dedicated and concrete learning plan to get the student to purple belt, it becomes more like "well, you've been around long enough that you *seem* like a purple belt so I guess you are."

We've all accepted the idea that belt advancement is a nebulous process of uncertain and often abstract criteria rather than a cumulative development, and I think this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy where students end up learning under a nebulous and abstract direction. Instead of a dedicated and concrete learning plan to get the student to purple belt,

Re- Bold and underlined
A lot of schools have curriculums and tests. Alliance and GB some of the early pioneers of such over 15yrs ago.
Relson was mentioned, had a minimum number of classes per belt, to qualify to test.

Make white 2 and the other 3 belts 3 years each . ... But white for 3 years is ridiculous IMO. White is supposed to be the intro belt

3 years as white if you come to train once a week, but generally it's 2 years of you train 2-3 times a week. Even 2 people had their blue belt in one year as they are training judo a long time

Seems good to me. I know a guy who does privates only once a week. after about 7 years he's a brown belt.

i got my purple in 3 years but was due to as much as i was competing as well

I got mine in 3 years and I don't think I was training quite that much. But I trust my coach. He's an old school Brazilian. And I continue to more than hold my own with other purple belts, as well as some browns. I do well at tournaments, won gold at the IBJJF Fall Open last year. So I don't feel like a fraud, and neither should you.

Re- Bold and underlined
A lot of schools have curriculums and tests. Alliance and GB some of the early pioneers of such over 15yrs ago.
Relson was mentioned, had a minimum number of classes per belt, to qualify to test.

I'm not exactly talking about belt tests and curriculums, which I think are fine but still typically operate under the same assumption that black belt should be a nebulous journey rather than a 5-6 year process. Imagine that you took any brand new student and said "I will make this student competitive with an average purple belt in 3 years if he trains 4 times a week." That requires a different mindset from a coach: a strong emphasis on functionality and effectiveness rather than the broad technical and cultural development that is the current standard.

im a white belt i refuse to pay 30 bucks for a belt test. BTW i train in a gym for judo and bjj. does ayone else have to pay for belt tests it really is a waste of time and money

I'm not exactly talking about belt tests and curriculums, which I think are fine but still typically operate under the same assumption that black belt should be a nebulous journey rather than a 5-6 year process. Imagine that you took any brand new student and said "I will make this student competitive with an average purple belt in 3 years if he trains 4 times a week." That requires a different mindset from a coach: a strong emphasis on functionality and effectiveness rather than the broad technical and cultural development that is the current standard.

Are you referring to dropping total techniques taught per position vs plethora of techniques randomly taught in some places? Breadth vs Depth?

Back