I'm A BJJ Fanatic: John Danaher

If you're someone who's majority of live experience is in the academic playpen though, it certainly can feel like 'most problems are static problems'.

Why? Because static problems are what you can put on test sheets, which you can grade by an abstract and automatizible metric, which are much easier for a hypothetical administrator to implement, and thus give himself and others the reassuring impression that competence is being measured, rather than more competitive and interactive means of ranking subjects by the same.

(And hence, being that much more trivial sorts of measures, but that is an other discussion.)

Indeed, I'm probably biased on that one since I'm a physed teacher. Danaher described any of my badminton/volleyball/basketball/frisbee/handball/soccer/dodgeball classes, on top of any random chess or Age of Empires 2 match I happen to watch on my time off.

Indeed, I'm probably biased on that one since I'm a physed teacher. Danaher described any of my badminton/volleyball/basketball/frisbee/handball/soccer/dodgeball classes, on top of any random chess or Age of Empires 2 match I happen to watch on my time off.
Wait age of empires has matches? Links I need links

You know, in the old days when a successful athlete/coach smoked a huge blunt and waxed philosophical we just let it slide.

He's not a god man, listen to his technical details and aside from that you be you.

- Some don't like his long speeches as they are annoying or even counter productive with his particular voice tone and prefer straight forward explanations.

- Other like his explanations as his elocution can vehiculate the techniques and concepts, and keep the attention. He seems a crossover between a cheesy martial arts master of the 80s movies and the bald Doc Evil from Austin Powers movies. <45>

Keeping the attention is the key point. There's tons of guy's who don't listen to the technique because they already saw it. Then when it comes to drilling they mix everything up. Last night, I had to remind my partner everytime that it was SLX and not DLR that we were drilling, maybe he should have kept some attention on the coach.

Danaher is kind of over the top in is explanations but there's a high level of detail and it's worth it to work on my attention span. But I'm a bachelor in accounting, so I'm used to long, boring and repetitive classes.

The best coach is Lachlan Giles IMO, very high level of details but also straight to the point.

Keeping the attention is the key point. There's tons of guy's who don't listen to the technique because they already saw it. Then when it comes to drilling they mix everything up. Last night, I had to remind my partner everytime that it was SLX and not DLR that we were drilling, maybe he should have kept some attention on the coach.

Danaher is kind of over the top in is explanations but there's a high level of detail and it's worth it to work on my attention span. But I'm a bachelor in accounting, so I'm used to long, boring and repetitive classes.

The best coach is Lachlan Giles IMO, very high level of details but also straight to the point.

Danaher instruction isn't that detailed. It's long as fuck because of it's 95% bullshit. Sure it's more detailed then the old school instruction from illiterate brazillians. Smarter people like Rafa and Caio can squeeze tons of details or even a doze of tactics (what your opponent will want to do/what you need to fight for or an alternate solution) in the same amount of time.

Danaher instruction isn't that detailed. It's long as fuck because of it's 95% bullshit. Sure it's more detailed then the old school instruction from illiterate brazillians. Smarter people like Rafa and Caio can squeeze tons of details or even a doze of tactics (what your opponent will want to do/what you need to fight for or an alternate solution) in the same amount of time.

I have 3 of his is BJJ fanatics Enter the system instructionnals and it follows the same pattern, first DVD is him talking in lenght of basic stuff with some hints of genius from time to time, it's like the longest intro. Every other dvd on the set as a long ass intro also for the subject. But when he shows the technique it's actually ok, there's some repetition when he does it but he does it from many angles so it doesn't matter as much.

A couples days ago I rewatched a DVD (the dorsal kimura) I skipped the first 2 subjects about the power of the position and the devastating finish that will occur and went straight to the technique which was well constructed, it helped me to troubleshoot some stuff that I've been working on lately and I was very happy with my purchase

Wait age of empires has matches? Links I need links

Escape AOE recently hosted the ECL tournament, the biggest of the year. There's like 20+ hours of matches, 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 with all the best players.

My top channels to watch matches, either on Twitch or Youtube: T90 Official, Nili_AOE, MembTV

I also recommend watching TheViper (he's on Mixer now), he has been dominating the scene since like... 2012 and has good content!

Ryan Hall video tutorials are really good as well before the emergence of Danaher and DDS

Thanks ALL for the replies on RHall vs Danaher.
I have got most of RHalls material when it came out and use a lot of it. It's hard to justify spending more money on new sets when I have tons of material to refine. I do have Danahers leg system and Listers but can't justify addressing legs when I prioritize passing. I do get today's necessity to be well leg versed, and there is a conundrum.

Nice comparison review of Giles^.

Can't stand this guy.

Sometimes he's annoying. Sometimes he gets it right. Personally, I enjoyed hearing his opinion on why he likes BJJ. And if a guy like Keenan says that he's changed his game and the Danaher system will one day be the standard, then Danaher is obviously legit. Keenan legit said that anyone who doesn't eventually learn the Danaher system is going to get left behind. That's pretty high praise.

Sometimes he's annoying. Sometimes he gets it right. Personally, I enjoyed hearing his opinion on why he likes BJJ. And if a guy like Keenan says that he's changed his game and the Danaher system will one day be the standard, then Danaher is obviously legit. Keenan legit said that anyone who doesn't eventually learn the Danaher system is going to get left behind. That's pretty high praise.

Keenan also has made fun of Danaher and the Colt like squad. ..

Danaher has created a system or at the very least an environment that birthed world class grappling. At this point he is a proven coach. I hope one day to master something as well as he has.

What's rare to me is that his system has more to do with submissions and counters and less to do with guard play and entries like most other coaches. He doesn't seem to have a preferred guard

Last edited:
Keenan also has made fun of Danaher and the Colt like squad. ..

You can do both. The guy is weird. So it’s free game to joke on him. But when it comes to Bjj, he’s apparently a genius.

Gotta Love the interwebz. You show me a guy saying something worthwhile, I'll show you 10 screen names shitting on it.

If only online forums had been around back in Martin Luther King's day.

"We get it, equality. Hurry up & get to the point. No one wants to hear about your dream ROFL"
MLK spoke about a profound ideal that needed to be pursued. he fought for the rights of an oppressed minority.

JD talks about using your shoulder to put pressure on your opponent's face and turns it into a 30 minute verbal jerkoff session. he is a douchebag of epic proportions.

Stroking the ego of a guy who lets you stay for the ADCC camp with his team with unwarranted praise makes a ton of sense.

Stroking the ego of a guy who lets you stay for the ADCC camp with his team with unwarranted praise makes a ton of sense.

Ok Mr Cynic. You really think Keenan's the kind of guy to bite his tongue about the quality of instruction? HE has nothing to gain by giving "unwarranted" praise. Are you mad because he left TLI? Was his praise for Lloyd unwarranted?

Ok Mr Cynic. You really think Keenan's the kind of guy to bite his tongue about the quality of instruction? HE has nothing to gain by giving "unwarranted" praise. Are you mad because he left TLI? Was his praise for Lloyd unwarranted?

How do you know he has nothing to gain by sucking up to his temporary coach?
I have watched some of the Danaher DVDs and I hate them.
I would assume that praise for a cult master from his cult slaves is highly suspicious.

Back