Social Increasing political polarization is ruining everything

Depending on what issues you use to rate him. He the most socially liberal president ever.

Well some of these issues there has clearly been a movement towards liberialism since the mid 20th century but to consider this the entirety of being "left wing" would seem a bit bizzare if it wasnt so wide spread.

Even on these social issues the broader environment is clearly a much bigger factor and if anything you could argue Obama's tokenism helped distract from the changes needed to address them.

A Black president in itself didnt end widespread systemic racism, again arguably made it easier to cover up how little was being done.

Eight years of Obama relentlessly taunting and bullying private citizens, his fellow lawmakers and the media. All because they dared to not genuflect at his feet. It was hell. That guy lived to stir shit up and the country is 100 times worse off now because of it.
every time i see a tan suit...
200.gif

I disagree, I think it's the natural outcome of electing a left-wing, extremely ideological, University Liberal to be President. Jonathan Chait has been talking about this for a while. The Universities in this country, where Obama marinated for many years, have become so insular, ideological, political, and single-minded in their leftist views that once sacred values of free thought and truth-seeking have largely been abandoned.

I really have a problem with demonizing universities as some kind of left-wing indoctrination centres though. The problem with that viewpoint is that it only focuses on a portion of the domain of universities, typically within the social sciences and education, and ignores the rest.

What critics often fail to acknowledge as they cry about 'left-wing universities' is that most of the training and knowledge in fields like medicine, engineering, chemistry, physics, agriculture, computer science, psychology and neuroscience, etc. also comes out of those same institutions.

Where do you think conservatives are educated...an entirely separate education system? Experts in their field, regardless of their political stripes, tend to be university-educated and conservatives certainly don't all flee to small, private 'right-wing Christian schools'.

Feel free to take issue with *that portion* of the domain of universities that has become more politicized and ideological, but keep in mind the tremendous societal benefits that continue to flow from them as well.

We just went through four years of the most divisive president in American history, whose entire platform was about alienating anyone who didn't support his specific worldview. Now that he lost it is time for unity and to end the division? I always find it curious how the ideology that no longer is in power strives for the middle ground.

Hey, you don't have to like Trump, but you can't deny that he did everything he could to reach out to the other side and to make it clear that while we have different ideas about what is best for the country, we're all just doing the best we can and we have the same goal. He didn't divide between red states and blue states, and he showed deep respect for people who disagreed with him. He respected the freedom of the press to report on things he didn't like, and when he lost the election, he took it with class and dignity. He also was in great physical condition and had great hair.

Whatever could have caused people to think that? It's not like he just lies and says whatever is politically expedient at the time. /sarcasm

You surprised me by starting with a decent OP, but then I realized it was because you were letting someone else do the thinking and talking.
You quickly showed your M.O., which is finding a simplistic scapegoat for everything. In your case, your scapegoats betray your blatant xenophobia.

Hey, you don't have to like Trump, but you can't deny that he did everything he could to reach out to the other side and to make it clear that while we have different ideas about what is best for the country, we're all just doing the best we can and we have the same goal. He didn't divide between red states and blue states, and he showed deep respect for people who disagreed with him. He respected the freedom of the press to report on things he didn't like, and when he lost the election, he took it with class and dignity. He also was in great physical condition and had great hair.
reported for not commenting on how massive and girthy his hands are and how he stands like a completely normal person.

Why do you care about that so much more than the many other issues he was not very far left on?

It's a funny one because I think he had a belief in centrism for its own sake and tried to reach across the aisle, but he *also* could plausibly be called the most left-wing president we've had, just because he was centrist at a time when the country was further left than it had ever been.

It's a funny one because I think he had a belief in centrism for its own sake and tried to reach across the aisle, but he *also* could plausibly be called the most left-wing president we've had, just because he was centrist at a time when the country was further left than it had ever been.

Those options make the argument that "everyone should believe Obama was X because Y is the only thing I care about!" even more perplexing!

Why do you care about that so much more than the many other issues he was not very far left on?

Because it comes as a package and the bad outweighs the good. .
Like his stance on the 2nd.

Both sides are completely delusional. The far right posters here, and the far left posters are both in complete denial. You guys entertain me but I truly do worry about some of you.

Whatever could have caused people to think that? It's not like he just lies and says whatever is politically expedient at the time. /sarcasm

Probably lead exposure and their mother drinking heavily while pregnant.

To many people spending to much time in front of the screen, only compounded by covid. Isolation and bigotry go hand in hand.

Both sides are completely delusional. The far right posters here, and the far left posters are both in complete denial. You guys entertain me but I truly do worry about some of you.

Pretty much this haha.

thats a weird spin considering obama care was an overall mess and economy was pretty stagnant during 8 years of obama while sending was at all time high...

Were there not 75 straight months of job growth during Obama's stint?

Back