Inheritance

I realized folks on this forum just like to criticize posters whenever the opportunity presents itself. They probably even get some schadenfreude out of it.

If this post was started by the TS's mom and she spoke about how she was blowing the money with some scumbag dude, they'd be calling her all types of whores and bitch.

Yea. Unfortunately, people on here like to make strawman comparisons without really understanding where the TS is really getting at.

No one's talking about the mother sacrificing her well being for the well being of her kids. It's moreso about doing the best you can to make sure your offspring is takin care of. If the kids are struggling and you're not willing to help them even a little because you don't want to lower yourself to taking 5 vacations instead of 7, or buying a 30k car instead of 35k, there's a problem.

I read a few cases similar to yours. You should talk to an attorney. You may have a claim to that money after all. What was the state of mind your father was in when he last updated the will? Did your mother influence your father to give her all the money and leave the children out? Was the intention for your mother to share the money after she died? Check what happened to the Anna Nicole Smith case.

I've seen hundreds of wills, and the bulk of them give everything to the spouse. Many items are held jointly anyhow.

Yea. Unfortunately, people on here like to make strawman comparisons without really understanding where the TS is really getting at.

No one's talking about the mother sacrificing her well being for the well being of her kids. It's moreso about doing the best you can to make sure your offspring is takin care of. If the kids are struggling and you're not willing to help them even a little because you don't want to lower yourself to taking 5 vacations instead of 7, or buying a 30k car instead of 35k, there's a problem.

Did you miss the part where he said she gave them "a few thousand"? She didn't have to give them anything.

Also, how old is the TS? Did he ever answer? I certainly wouldn't expect my mom to give me any money when my dad goes, and I sure as shit would be happy with "a few thousand". I'd hope an adult would be able to support himself.

large-natural-sea-sponge-45.gif

If you were a super hero, you would be the human sponge.

Thanks guys but im done here. Half the responses are from people who cant even comprehend what im saying, thinking I want my moms money and completely missing the point.

It was fun. Bye

How old are you? And what do you do for a living?

You say your parents don't provide for you but you are living in rental home that your parents own right? Discounted rent? free? Are you fixing up this place?

In the end I am going to concur with everyone else. It's her money. And if she wants to blow it all on cocaine she can. She doesn't seem to be a very nurturing mother so I don't know. Maybe this is how she's coping with the loss of her husband.

How old are you? And what do you do for a living?

You say your parents don't provide for you but you are living in rental home that your parents own right? Discounted rent? free? Are you fixing up this place?

In the end I am going to concur with everyone else. It's her money. And if she wants to blow it all on cocaine she can. She doesn't seem to be a very nurturing mother so I don't know. Maybe this is how she's coping with the loss of her husband.

I get all that but I bet it doesn't feel nice to see your mother spending your dead father's money with her boy toy.

ah so this is what led TS to lose his shit earlier?

Did you miss the part where he said she gave them "a few thousand"? She didn't have to give them anything.

Also, how old is the TS? Did he ever answer? I certainly wouldn't expect my mom to give me any money when my dad goes, and I sure as shit would be happy with "a few thousand". I'd hope an adult would be able to support himself.

A few thousand spread across 3 siblings is nothing compared to the hundreds of thousands she apparently spent on herself.

It's not specifically about expecting to get money from a will. That's where you're missing the point. We've all gone through hard times financially. And if you haven't, then you REALLY have no place argue. But my point is going through a hard time is not quite the same as not being a responsible adult.

There's a difference in expecting someone to hold your hand through life because you can't sustain yourself, and suggesting a little extra help so that you can be in a position to fully get on your feet and take care of yourself from someone that CLEARLY has the money to do so and still maintain a good well-being.

Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting some short term financial help aren't mutual exclusive ideas. And watching your kids flounder through life while you have the time of your life isn't illegal or even objectively wrong, it can still be something heavily frown apon when it comes to the utility gain of a family structure.

Im a sponge yet everything I have/own was bought and paid for by me and I never ask for anythng. You're a clueless donk.

Why would you have to move if she sells the building you live in? Are you getting a discount on the rent?

I get all that but I bet it doesn't feel nice to see your mother spending your dead father's money with her boy toy.

Her boy toy that she got with fairly quickly after the old man kicked the bucket as well.

A few thousand spread across 3 siblings is nothing compared to the hundreds of thousands she apparently spent on herself.

It's not specifically about expecting to get money from a will. That's where you're missing the point. We've all gone through hard times financially. And if you haven't, then you REALLY have no place argue. But my point is going through a hard time is not quite the same as not being a responsible adult.

There's a difference in expecting someone to hold your hand through life because you can't sustain yourself, and suggesting a little extra help so that you can be in a position to fully get on your feet and take care of yourself from someone that CLEARLY has the money to do so and still maintain a good well-being.

Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting some short term financial help aren't mutual exclusive ideas. And watching your kids flounder through life while you have the time of your life isn't illegal or even objectively wrong, it can still be something heavily frown apon when it comes to the utility gain of a family structure.

I'm not the one missing the point. The point is that the father dedicated all of the money to the mother. Any money that goes to the kids is charity at that point. What the mom does with the money is up to her. It's the same situation as the father. Why is it ok for the father to just sit on the money why the kids are struggling? He obviously wasn't kicking them a lot of money for them to not be in a struggling situation.

Doesn’t the spouse usually get the money in a will, and not the children? If your father passed away and it wasn’t an illness or a freak accident then I am assuming that you are at least 20? How old are you and what is your occupation or are you in school that you are struggling financially? Also you keep saying she is spending money “your” family took generations to build, but all I am getting from your posts is that your father built all that money and you had nothing to do with it, so what’s the issue? Also your mother has apparently given you a few thousand, which is already more than I would expect.

Hopefully TS reads and answers before spiralling out even more and getting banned.

if the children are still in school and in need of support... yes I agree with you.

if the children are all grown up and living on their own. then it's up to the mother whether she wants to help them or not. as stated.. if she wants to blow it all on cocaine then it is within her right...

personally I don't understand how it got to that. I am Asian and my parents provided for me as much as they could and would continue to do so till I die. but I've reached a point where I am taking care of them now (pay for their car insurance, life insurance, vacation, etc..). I am successful because of my parents and I have no problem giving it back to them.

Doesn’t the spouse usually get the money in a will, and not the children? If your father passed away and it wasn’t an illness or a freak accident then I am assuming that you are at least 20? How old are you and what is your occupation or are you in school that you are struggling financially? Also you keep saying she is spending money “your” family took generations to build, but all I am getting from your posts is that your father built all that money and you had nothing to do with it, so what’s the issue? Also your mother has apparently given you a few thousand, which is already more than I would expect.

Hopefully TS reads and answers before spiralling out even more and getting banned.

This...

So the father became wealthy but what did you (TS) do to help? you're struggling so you were not involved in helping the family wealth grow? did you goto college? what do you do for a living?

methink these answers will reflect upon the TS very badly.

My dad didn't have a will and went suddenly, so everything went to my mom as well. She isnt wasting it or anything. I'll eventually get my share of it along and my sister and her son will as well.

I could really use it right now though but I'm not going to ask.

Good, I'm glad she's blowing it.

Fuck old money. Start from scratch and make yourself.

Im a sponge yet everything I have/own was bought and paid for by me and I never ask for anythng. You're a clueless donk.

You just said your mom gave you a couple thousand after getting the money and she made repairs on your rental house (why would she pay to make repairs on a rental house?). So your lying. Stop worrying about this shit and move on with your life. Start figuring out how you can take your life from struggling to financially stable and you'll be amazed at how little you care about this issue.

I can understand if property and money is passed down the line from generations and I to would be pissed if my mum was selling off the places just to spend money at will on shit like cosmetic surgery.

I do feel bad for TS as it seems his dad built up something good but its getting pissed away.

Back