Tech "intel's f-----"

, 'Sapphire Rapids' Xeons have an advantage over the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 5000 Series as they support faster memory – DDR5 4,800MHz compared to DDR4 3,200MHz

1.6 ghz difference in memory clock is hardly insignificant. Yes it took sometime but we are talking about enhanced bandwidth offered by the new design and completely new chipset. 60 cores in the top model too.

<JagsKiddingMe>

, 'Sapphire Rapids' Xeons have an advantage over the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 5000 Series as they support faster memory – DDR5 4,800MHz compared to DDR4 3,200MHz

1.6 ghz difference in memory clock is hardly insignificant. Yes it took sometime but we are talking about enhanced bandwidth offered by the new design and completely new chipset. 60 cores in the top model too.
60 cores is pretty bad when AMD has a 128 core SKU.

60 cores is pretty bad when AMD has a 128 core SKU.
Intel admitted the problem working hard to patch that issue.

"
Intel has announced a new processor with 144 cores designed for simple data-center tasks in a power-efficient manner.

Called Sierra Forest, the Xeon processor is part of the Intel E-Core (Efficiency Core) lineup that that forgoes advanced features such as AVX-512 that require more powerful cores. AVX-512 is Intel Advanced Vector Extensions 512, “a set of new instructions that can accelerate performance for workloads and usages such as scientific simulations, financial analytics, artificial intelligence (AI)/deep learning, 3D modeling and analysis, image and audio/video processing, cryptography and data compression,” according to Intel.

Sierra Forest signals a shift for Intel that splits its data-center product line into two branches, the E-Core and the P-Core (Performance Core), which is the traditional Xeon data-center design that uses high-performance cores.
Sierra Forest’s 144 cores plays out Intel’s belief that x86 CPU revenue will follow core trends more closely than socket trends in the coming years, said Sandra Rivera, executive vice president and general manager of the data center and AI group at Intel speaking at a briefing for data-center and AI investors. She said Intel sees a market opportunity of more than $110 billion for its data-center and AI silicon business by 2027.

In a way, Sierra Forest is not unlike what Ampere is doing with its Altra processors and AMD is doing with its Bergamo line, with lots of small, efficient cores for simpler workloads. Like Ampere, Intel is targeting the cloud where lots of virtual machines perform non-intensive tasks like running containers.

Intel plans to release Sierra Forest in the first half of 2024.
"

shit's a little ironic now, as while i was obviously hella right about this ( i mean, intel lost 2/3 of their market cap while their peers skyrocketed hundreds of percents)... but 2 major shifts of late seem to have their design side in way more peril. now their fab seems like their stronger path forward (they strongly debated spinning off the fab and being a fabless design company like amd/nvidia)... and now it seems like they're more likely to do the opposite. it's kinda the same difference (divesting into 2 major companies, regardless), but the positioning now is 180.

intel's fabs still kinda suck and their idm has a lot of issues, but spinning it off would eliminate conflicts of interest and greatly assist viability.

their design side, though, looks like death.

ironically, i think amd may soon be in a bit of trouble, too. not fucked, but their gravy train of high growth seems to have numbered days.

IBM always seems to be forgotten in new chip technology. But they were running foundries back in the 80's. They been manufacturing wide range of devices an controllers. Even the Nintendo N64 had an IBM microchip. It seems like they lost their way especially around power64 technology.

Now with an effort to create foundries in the US it looks like IBM sees an opportunity. They been really successful in the past with high density designs. They have a relationship with Globalfoundries an Intel. Intel knows they have issues but to much opportunities to mess up.

Lockheed Martin is another one to look at they been looking at open source CPU designs such as RISC-V an AI processor.

Last edited:
To keep Robs dream alive for one more post, lol. Intel is looking to have another not so good quarter:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/inte...CFicW8ANgNCrZ_5KTLKGex6YPHBjRzpr92DUr9NeDgLhy

Broader market having problems to but Intel needs to get their foundry business going as quickly as they can and get their Intel 20A "Angstrom" chips working. They are working with 4nm and that is proving to be a challenge apparently. 2025 they are supposedly working on their 20A chips to be produced.

intel-roadmap-2025.jpg

@Valhoven

are you ok with the amount of deleted posts? i got banned for posting about arrow lake being on tsmc (deleted 3 times), and then after the ban, i made a post about it (deleted again). all ninja deletions, too - with no notification.

i presume mods can see the deleted posts/logs.

anyway, i was popping on to post this https://www.igorslab.de/en/intels-i...n-for-raptor-lake-s-refresh-and-arrow-lake-s/ since intel is just the gift that keeps giving daily failure updates but noticed shit was deleted yet again.

@Valhoven

are you ok with the amount of deleted posts? i got banned for posting about arrow lake being on tsmc (deleted 3 times), and then after the ban, i made a post about it (deleted again). all ninja deletions, too - with no notification.

i presume mods can see the deleted posts/logs.

anyway, i was popping on to post this https://www.igorslab.de/en/intels-i...n-for-raptor-lake-s-refresh-and-arrow-lake-s/ since intel is just the gift that keeps giving daily failure updates but noticed shit was deleted yet again.
Don’t like all the deletes but also don’t like shots-fired content. I see Staff easing up if you post topically (which I know you can do) and without @-ing anyone. You’re a vet, bud; you know the score.

Don’t like all the deletes but also don’t like shots-fired content. I see Staff easing up if you post topically (which I know you can do) and without @-ing anyone. You’re a vet, bud; you know the score.

weird take, given that the "shots-fired" were calling out the deletions. long after i was threatened for asking why posts were deleted in the dedicated support thread for that...

you're (pl) the ones that mod here. i already saw the writing on the wall for sherdog. no new blood, mods being petty... it's a future that looks as bright as intel's.

weird take, given that the "shots-fired" were calling out the deletions. long after i was threatened for asking why posts were deleted in the dedicated support thread for that...

you're (pl) the ones that mod here. i already saw the writing on the wall for sherdog. no new blood, mods being petty... it's a future that looks as bright as intel's.
Callouts, exactly. Not allowed and used to even clip for them. Current Guard more laid back than previous. Keep talking the areas you’re knowledgeable and/or interested in sans lulz, @s, and like. Easy.

Good Lord he just can't help himself can he??? lol

Reactions: PEB
I am more concerned over China recent advancements in the CPU/GPU race as they gain traction with EV cars they look to gain in the high performance computing space. Their CPU is comparable to 2016 variant of Intel or AMD type CPU's. Doesn't sound too bad but they did this in like 2 years. They apparently been manufacturing in 14nm with their current chips and could have 10nm chips out by the end of this year early next year. They are making rapid progress and could have 7nm chips out before end of next year. Their GPU is not as much of a threat yet but given how fast they produced an X86T processor they could do serious damage to the PC market that is still currently dominated by AMD and Intel.

Their GPU honestly was an amazing effort for a first try at making graphics cards. Had they had their drivers polished on launch, I think they would have gotten more praises. If you told me a third party was going to enter the GPU market, I would have told you that they wouldn't have a chance with being more than a decade behind their competitors.

Reactions: PEB
Back