ironwolf's Tales From The East Chinese Pub. No Canadians, Gays or Obama voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to a good few Thai shows over here and I really am not a fan of the wai kru. I should probably just stick to K1 rules type events.

Over time I've come to feel the same. I love Muay thai but not being thai, and not usually competing in pure thai rules fights (most stuff is k1 rules here) I can do without the wai kru.

Don't get me wrong, I think Muay Thai is a fantastic art and a great sport, but as a spectator, I could just do without the bells and whistles such as the wai kru and the music during the fights.

Yeah we're saying the same thing lol.

I agree 100%.

When I'm in Thailand I sort of like seeing all that stuff but when people try to replicate it (it's usually done poorly) outside of Thailand it's sort of lame.

Plus all the mongkon and prajeed bands are done for the look more than the tradition when done outside of Thailand.

At least in my opinion.

Kickboxing in general = pretty gay. Learn how to grapple, pussies.

Kickboxing in general = pretty gay. Learn how to grapple, pussies.

Clinching in Muay thai can be brutal....getting your neck snapped down a bunch of times. And tossed on your ass...thrown out of the ring.

Clinching in Muay thai can be brutal....getting your neck snapped down a bunch of times. And tossed on your ass...thrown out of the ring.

Neck snapped down? Clearly you haven't seen my traps.

Toss on my ass? Nah, brah. Not by some little Thai fighter.

I have the grappling covered. I just wanna kick some dudes.

What exactly is your problem with being gay again?

Absolutely nothing.

Wait, wait.... you're supposed to get an oily rub down??

I just got kicked a whole damn lot. Wtf? I've been cheated.

Dan, you come my gym, we give rubdown good.

I've been to a good few Thai shows over here and I really am not a fan of the wai kru. I should probably just stick to K1 rules type events.

I've never been a big fan of the wai kru but it's part of the tradition in Thailand. Some dudes even bet on it. I don't like those arm things either but again, it's part of the tradition.

When people do that sort of shit outside of Thailand it's hilarious and gay. In Thailand, less gay.

It's all the same martial art. Muay Thai is Muay Thai, and that includes all of the traditions that come with it- the prajied, mongkon, wai khru/ram muay, and the music too.

A lot of people find the spirituality and tradition side of it comes into it more as they get more and more into the sport. Not religion, but spirituality for sure. A big part of it for me was when one of my best friends and training partners passed away last year. He lives on, to me, through the gym, and through the mongkon we wore every time we went into the ring. I don't really believe in an afterlife, or god, or anything like that. But the tradition and spirituality for sure. Pay your respects through the ram muay, to your gym, your trainer, your opponent, or whichever god or deity you personally believe in. It's all part of Muay Thai, and it's the only part of my life where that sort of thing comes into it too.

Dan, you come my gym, we give rubdown good.

o-face.gif

Namman Muay is the shit. I used to practically bathe in it whenever I was hurting...

Any voodoo remedies for a black eye? Grappling yesterday seems to have left a mark...

Leave it. Mark of honor. I get them every 3 or 4 weeks too.

You could use makeup to cover it I guess.

You could use makeup to cover it I guess.

clockwork%20orange%20turns%2040%20wb%20chandler%20615.jpg

My GF isn't a big fan of it, though. And the guy that probably caused it was such a dick, but at least I got him in a sweet DWL...

Any recommendations for inexpensive Muay Thai gloves? My 13-year old daughter is starting & needs gloves. I don't really want to spend $90 on Fairtex unless someone with more experience is gonna tell me that I definitely should. Also, she's big for her age, 5'5", 140 lbs & still growing.

thanks!

Any recommendations for inexpensive Muay Thai gloves? My 13-year old daughter is starting & needs gloves. I don't really want to spend $90 on Fairtex unless someone with more experience is gonna tell me that I definitely should. Also, she's big for her age, 5'5", 140 lbs & still growing.

thanks!

Twins are usually cheaper than fairtex and just as good. Really though any decent quality boxing glove is fine for a beginner. You could even just look on title boxing and see what's on sale I'd stay away from anything made by everlast though.

In the gear and equipment forum there is a guy who just started a usa based glove company and he had a few that were like 50 dollars plus shipping but I thinknove seen twins on title for like 59 dollars so I'd probably go that route.

Also check out places like karate joes and mma joes. They often have thai stuff from windy, sandee, thai smai which are all good but less expensive Muay thai brands.

Fairtex and twins really is the top of the line though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back