Is a UFC PI punching bag the best promo the UFC could do to sell Pyfer to the fans?

It's a complete assumption that we wouldn't tell Pyfer personally that he shouldn't have been the main event and that he doesn't understand how punch machines work; B) It implies that the fighter is a big aggressive dope who will answer all criticism with violence; and C) That them using that violence somehow makes them correct

That's quite the spin there.

OP didn't just politely tell the fighter that he shouldn't be the main event and doesn't understand how punch machines work. Here are his actual words:
Zero martial arts credentials, zero wins over relevant guys, limited skillset, and barely went 1-1 in the contender series lol…How does the UFC justify giving this average Joe a main event spot?

So yeah, he was being a shit talking keyboard warrior. And no, he would never have the balls to say that word for word to Pyfer. Sherdoggers always try to backtrack when you point this out.

Your next question might be why I may be sticking up for this fighter. I happen to think up and coming contenders/potential stars are individuals that the sport desperately needs right now. Yet every time we get them, this place tries to tear them down instead while at the same time complaining about the sport losing appeal and stars.

Seriously, the UFC has been shoving this dude down their fans throats for the past year on the basis of what?

Zero martial arts credentials, zero wins over relevant guys, limited skillset, and barely went 1-1 in the contender series lol…

How does the UFC justify giving this average Joe a main event spot?

Maybe I’m missing something here… but please educate me as to why anyone should care about Joe Pyfer?
He has a great story (not sure of the details as I don't care that much). He is very big and has a lot of power on his strikes. As for martial arts credentials it looks like he started wrestling in 10th grade and he was able to "apply judo & BJJ skills he learned as a child." as per his wiki page. He has a first round finish of Gerald Meerschart so based off of UFC history he will be in a title fight soon. Khamzat Bless. If Dana likes you then he pushes you bigtime.

That's quite the spin there.

OP didn't just politely tell the fighter that he shouldn't be the main event and doesn't understand how punch machines work. Here are his actual words:

So yeah, he was being a shit talking keyboard warrior. And no, he would never have the balls to say that word for word to Pyfer. Sherdoggers always try to backtrack when you point this out.

Your next question might be why I may be sticking up for this fighter. I happen to think up and coming contenders/potential stars are individuals that the sport desperately needs right now. Yet every time we get them, this place tries to tear them down instead while at the same time complaining about the sport losing appeal and stars.
I fail to see the spin when his final question he put about 'how is he the main event' (which is preceded by the claims he gave) is almost the same exact thing of what I put in mine about how 'he didn't deserve a main event.'

Now, he probably wouldn't because Fact Checker is either a troll or one of the top 10 dumbest posters in the heavies, but the contention that Sherdog critics wouldn't at all is baseless, as I was stating I would have (which is why I also threw in the punch machine stuff, an argument against Joe I had in another thread). And I don't backtrack from that.

The problem a lot of us have with the sport is that the UFC is generally fucking awful at promotion (the main point of this thread) and people continually tear down fighters overall just for not promoting themselves because it's somehow become the perspective that the fighters are always at fault for not promoting themselves cuz it's ok that the UFC doesn't really promote it's fighters. So why on Earth does it sometimes decide to promote fighters in the most ridiculous ways, like Joe Pyfer. I think we have 200 other up and comers in the past 5 years that the UFC could have given a shit about that didn't. Instead, the hype this time went into a guy with little martial arts credentials, no relevant wins, and a limited skillset

i imagine by now ufc has some pretty reliable internal criteria for identifying future stars, aside from their official fight record, or endorsements, etc. pyfer probably rates highly as a fighter with a promotional upside. so it’s no surprise they gave him a push and matched him up with a well-known gatekeeper. obviously he needs to pass the test when they give him a step up in competition. is pyfer a bust? idk, we’ll have to see what he does next. hermansson is legitimately a tough fight. they should give him someone else in the top 11—20 (if they’re available). if he wins that, try someone in the lower top 10. if he fails that, then he basically ends up like jack hermansson—a gatekeeper who can’t get over the hump.

I fail to see the spin when his final question he put about 'how is he the main event' (which is preceded by the claims he gave) is almost the same exact thing of what I put in mine about how 'he didn't deserve a main event.'

Now, he probably wouldn't because Fact Checker is either a troll or one of the top 10 dumbest posters in the heavies, but the contention that Sherdog critics wouldn't at all is baseless, as I was stating I would have (which is why I also threw in the punch machine stuff, an argument against Joe I had in another thread). And I don't backtrack from that.

The problem a lot of us have with the sport is that the UFC is generally fucking awful at promotion (the main point of this thread) and people continually tear down fighters overall just for not promoting themselves because it's somehow become the perspective that the fighters are always at fault for not promoting themselves cuz it's ok that the UFC doesn't really promote it's fighters. So why on Earth does it sometimes decide to promote fighters in the most ridiculous ways, like Joe Pyfer. I think we have 200 other up and comers in the past 5 years that the UFC could have given a shit about that didn't. Instead, the hype this time went into a guy with little martial arts credentials, no relevant wins, and a limited skillset

You're dancing around the issue. There is a huge difference between constructive criticsm and shit talking, and 9 out of 10 times on this site it is the latter(you obviously know this) and that is what I was talking about. But you seem to pretend that it's usually not so you can claim that you would be brave in front of those fighters. We agree on whatever the fuck OP is.

The latter part: There has always been a divide between "casuals" who make the UFC money and loud mouth "hardcores" who never pay a dime. Yet it is the latter who is always demanding and self entitled and just as disrespectful if not more than the drunk fans buying tickets/ppv. This company is big and they are paying people to do research on what sells best, that's what decides who they promote heavily. And they usually get it right. Khamzat, O'Malley, Pereira and many others were pushed heavily and they proved their worth, and they all had naysayers from the start. Pyfer, Bo Nickal etc. are new prospects and look promising, hopefully they turn into exciting stars. But sherdog wants to see the world burn and tear everyone down so we have to endure threads like this which claim they suck and are nothing more than journeymen. It is impossible for a new guy to have everyone on their side.

Apparently Dayner bought him a house, so he probably wants a return on his investment and pushes the guy because he knows that he owns him.

Lowkey this is probably the most sensible explanation I’ve read so far. I could totally see DW’s greedy self wanting an ROI for that house he bought for Pyfer.

That or Pyfer being Daners illegitimate son out of wedlock. They have a resemblance. They’re both pink.

<31>

Seriously, the UFC has been shoving this dude down their fans throats for the past year on the basis of what?

Zero martial arts credentials, zero wins over relevant guys, limited skillset, and barely went 1-1 in the contender series lol…

Maybe I’m missing something here… but please educate me as to why anyone should care about Joe Pyfer?
Just wait until Aspinall fights Jones, people will say the same thing about Tom. People get too hyped on these one round fighters.

Punching Bags don't hit back

2co.gif
It worked for Ivan Drago

To be fair being the main event for an Apex card is like being the main event for an LFA card
Yeah and this card was actually stacked for an Apex card lol. While people are whining about cards still being in the Apex, I'm glad that they are putting these kinds of cards there. Imagine it's the first time the UFC comes to your city and the card is trash.

Is this the guy I heard on here Dana bought a freakin’ house over?

Well, at least Piper doing his best at getting the most monetary value he can get while dabbling in the sport

Just wait until Aspinall fights Jones, people will say the same thing about Tom. People get too hyped on these one round fighters.

Yeah but Tom actually has great wins, a lifelong BJJ pedigree, and elite athleticism for the division (could come at a price in the later rounds like you said).

I could see the upward trajectory for Aspinall, I just don’t see the same for Pyfer who’s not shown a fraction of the talent Tom has imo.

Yeah but Tom actually has great wins, a lifelong BJJ pedigree, and elite athleticism for the division (could come at a price in the later rounds like you said).

I could see the upward trajectory for Aspinall, I just don’t see the same for Pyfer who’s not shown a fraction of the talent Tom has imo.
"Tom has great wins" No he doesn't. He beat Volkov and Pavlovich. Two guys who have accomplished nothing in the sport.

"Tom has great wins" No he doesn't. He beat Volkov and Pavlovich. Two guys who have accomplished nothing in the sport.

He also starched Tybura in a minute and choked out Arlovski… he’s passed every test with flying color and separated himself in the division. Outside of Jon Jones, Aspinall is by far the most well rounded guy the division has seen in nearly the past decade, his transitions from striking to grappling are incredibly fast and fluid.

Compare that to Joe Pyfer who barely went 1-1 in the contender series and hasn’t shown anything but a telegraphed right hand and subpar grappling.

I get the point you’re trying to make, but Tom is levels above Pyfer in every way possible. Not a valid comparison. Maybe Mike Perry would be a more fair comparison, I can see that being Pyfers ceiling.

Because ESPN makes the UFC put on 42 shows a year and he was 3-0 in the UFC with all finishes fighting the #11 guy. You could also ask why they put a guy with a record of 21-19 on the main card.

Back